Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:58 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

How to keep visitors a safe distance from wildlife in national parks _ College of Liberal Arts _ SOURCE _ Colorado State University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I'm sick and tired of hearing about people bothering animals in their own habitats. And it's not unusual at Yellowstone, either.

You might remember this 55-year-old fool from last summer, who looks like he's challenging a bison to fight. Park authorities finally arrested him, as he had a history of harassing wildlife. Poor bison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HWBdj_Bmk

Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I saw that & was incensed. You get your child into a bad situation & then run to save your own skin. Unflipping believable. Twits.
It was a large group of people there. Those folks in that shot that were running away may not have been related to the girl at all. Unless anyone knows more on the story.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It was a large group of people there. Those folks in that shot that were running away may not have been related to the girl at all. Unless anyone knows more on the story.
It was on Montana news station with longer clip. Said the adult man & woman who ran away were identified as child's parents.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:15 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Pretty graphic watch at your own risk.

Once again people get to close to a wild animal and it attacks. what does it take for people to stay clear??

A raging bull bison charged at and tossed a 9-year-old Florida girl several feet into the air at Yellowstone National Park.

The shocking incident, which was caught on camera, happened as a group of 50 tourists loitered closely around the animal for nearly 20 minutes in the Old Faithful Geyser area on Monday afternoon, according to the National Park Service.

Footage from the incident, shot by somebody just feet away from the bull bison, shows the animal calmly grazing on a hillside before charging and walloping the girl.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/watch-...t-yellowstone/

Or another link if you don’t want to watch the video
https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...lowstone-bison
Wow! I didn't watch or read this thread, I was off to bed but I just have to post before I go!

Back in 1957, I was 4 years old, my parents took me to Benson's Wild Animal Farm up in New Hampshire. I remember my Dad standing there waiting to take a pic of the bison. I yelled "Daddy, Daddy, take my picture too!" I was smiling big and the next thing I know I am flying through the air. I have no recollection much after that. I do know my parents raced me back to Massachusetts to the Malden-Melrose Hospital where my pediatrician was.

I wasn't too close to the bison, as a matter of fact iirc, he was in the middle of his area. Maybe he didn't like my dress. I remember I had on a white dress covered in big yellow flowers and my white Mary Janes. He charged the chicken wire fence and it let go.

Suing was not in fashion in those days. I didn't die, I didn't get paralyzed, so nothing was done. Looking back, I think it might have scrambled my brains a bit that's all. Lol, I am serious. My grandmother always wanted my parents to take me to NY and go on "I've Got a Secret"!

I will have to watch the link in the morning. Shucks, I'm not "special" anymore.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It was on Montana news station with longer clip. Said the adult man & woman who ran away were identified as child's parents.
Thanks for filling in the gaps historyfan. Then I agree with you.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Wow! I didn't watch or read this thread, I was off to bed but I just have to post before I go!

Back in 1957, I was 4 years old, my parents took me to Benson's Wild Animal Farm up in New Hampshire. I remember my Dad standing there waiting to take a pic of the bison. I yelled "Daddy, Daddy, take my picture too!" I was smiling big and the next thing I know I am flying through the air. I have no recollection much after that. I do know my parents raced me back to Massachusetts to the Malden-Melrose Hospital where my pediatrician was.

I wasn't too close to the bison, as a matter of fact iirc, he was in the middle of his area. Maybe he didn't like my dress. I remember I had on a white dress covered in big yellow flowers and my white Mary Janes. He charged the chicken wire fence and it let go.

Suing was not in fashion in those days. I didn't die, I didn't get paralyzed, so nothing was done. Looking back, I think it might have scrambled my brains a bit that's all. Lol, I am serious. My grandmother always wanted my parents to take me to NY and go on "I've Got a Secret"!

I will have to watch the link in the morning. Shucks, I'm not "special" anymore.

Great story tamiznluv. You have a really good ready made excuse for just about anything.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:16 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
When my son was taking his RV van trip across the country he once ran into a herd of bison ambling along the road. I think it was South Dakota, but could have been Wyoming or Montana. Anyway, it was snowy weather and the bison would lick the snow off the van as he stopped to let them pass. He said they were very friendly, but no way was he getting out of that van.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
When my son was taking his RV van trip across the country he once ran into a herd of bison ambling along the road. I think it was South Dakota, but could have been Wyoming or Montana. Anyway, it was snowy weather and the bison would lick the snow off the van as he stopped to let them pass. He said they were very friendly, but no way was he getting out of that van.
You have a very wise son. Good upbringing.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:36 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
When we were station at Ft. Leavenworth, KS there was a herd of bison on the grounds of the Leavenworth USP.

They had a viewing area (a large raised deck with a ramp) that was outside of the fencing of the bison area.
They were such large creatures and there were extra signs when the calves were around.

It amazes me that there are people who treat wildlife as is they are part of a theme park where they could never be injured or die.

That poor child learned a very hard lesson and it certainly didn't help that her parents ran away and left her to her fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events