Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
people, please remember that when threatened, a beast can be thwarted with a sharp punch to the nose. Recently happened with a shark in North Carolina, a knife wielding maniac in California, a "big bird" in England a kangaroo in Australia and a sloth at Roscoe's Petting Zoo in Arkansas.
Yeah, you try punching a bear, bison, or mountain lion in the nose and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You shouldn't laugh at all. That is a sick, disgusting thing to do. For crying out loud, that's a little girl.
A little girl who has dumb parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think the girls parents should be charged with negligence myself. I don’t see it happening but still.
If they're charged with negligence, the entire group of 50 tourists who standing around the bison should be charged with negligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Reminds me of this incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDtibc13fc

Old 07-26-2019, 11:48 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
When my son took hunters safety I went ahead and went through the class again with hi . The instructors were both game officers and they showed a film called "Urban Elk." A small Canadian town on the WA border has a huge herd of elk they coexist with year round.

They just cruise around town and do what elk do. Be large and dangerous. The film went into one years worth of tourist incidents with the animals and it's a wake up call. People gored, stomped, ran over and generally left feeling not so good after trying to get up close.

One clown was filming a fight between two rutting bulls on a schoolyard. These critters were flat duking it out and one got his rack caught in the chains on a swingset. This cretin kept walking closer filming as the other bull was goring the caught one and then the tangled bull completely uprooted the swings.

This clown kept filming and the last thing you see is the camera lens showing nothing but hair as the two enraged animals mowed him over. Oh yea...that hurt. Other people were shown parts of town carried in a bulls antlers after trying to touch the animals and all manner of crass stupidity.

Point of lesson was that NEVER take wild animals lightly. There are more people killed and injured by deer in the US every year than ALL other animals (including apex predators) combined because people underestimate them. Badly and at their peril. People just don't get how much stronger than humans animals like deer are pound for pound. A 150 pound deer can turn a 240 pound human inside out. Conversely a 90 -100 pound mountain lion could tear Duane Johnson to shreds in the blink of an eye. But people are more cautious with predators and woefully take critters like Bambi for granted.

Until they get treated to hoof horns and hide. I really can't wrap my head around these idiots who treat wild animals with a lackadaisical manner. Of course I was born and raised on a ranch and up close to the wild places and wrangling livestock. I've been hurt while trying my best to avoid it. Someone begging for it has lost their mind.

I think the worst experience with a wild animal was with a badger. A 40 or so pound critter but all teeth claws and generally poor attitude towards others. He didn't get hold of me thankfully thanks to my then young fleet feet. Oh my Dad laughed like Hell. . All he said was "You'll watch where you're going next time huh boy."
Great post, and so true. I live in small town eastern Oregon, and the deer love to hang around town all over the place, in yards, etc. I give them a wide berth when walking past. And speak to them so they realize I'm there, and don't spook them. What you said about deer being so strong reminded me about this first video, so I looked it up. I'm surprised he didn't get gored.
The second one I had never seen before.

https://youtu.be/kVzqzcgNcBE

https://youtu.be/3HI08ZoekGM

---------------------------------

Old 07-26-2019, 11:50 AM

18,159 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
people, please remember that when threatened, a beast can be thwarted with a sharp punch to the nose. Recently happened with a shark in North Carolina, a knife wielding maniac in California, a "big bird" in England a kangaroo in Australia and a sloth at Roscoe's Petting Zoo in Arkansas.

However an animal like a bison would not even slow down a bit. Not in the least. Now, I have subdued rank horses at the hitch rack by grabbing and twisting their top lip. That does work but bear in mind the animal was tethered, not loose. I also watched an old cowhand put a full grown bull to his knees by ramming his fingers into its nose and clamping down, BUT he knew exactly what he was doing and had done it a hundred times before.

A punch to the nose would only serve to enrage a big critter like a buffalo or bull and would likely see you stomped to a mud hole. There is a reason that bulls are often portrayed with a pierced nose. That ring is there for a damn good reason for someone who KNOWS WHAT THEIR DOING.

While your advice is somewhat sound in theory putting that into practice takes serious know how and no small degree of guts to pull off successfully. And a kangaroo is not a 2000 pound bovine with a bad attitude. I've seen cows, not even as powerful as a bull, ram right through several fences without even slowing down. To an animal like a cow, bull or horse we are barely an afterthought in terms of an obstacle.

A punch anywhere would not even be felt. They can be controlled using strategic pressure points like the top lip trick but unless the animal is tied as well I don't recommend trying it. And you also have to grab just right. A large bovine or ungulate in full charge is not likely to afford you the time to pull it off correctly.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
However an animal like a bison would not even slow down a bit. Not in the least. Now, I have subdued rank horses at the hitch rack by grabbing and twisting their top lip. That does work but bear in mind the animal was tethered, not loose. I also watched an old cowhand put a full grown bull to his knees by ramming his fingers into its nose and clamping down, BUT he knew exactly what he was doing and had done it a hundred times before.

A punch to the nose would only serve to enrage a big critter like a buffalo or bull and would likely see you stomped to a mud hole. There is a reason that bulls are often portrayed with a pierced nose. That ring is there for a damn good reason for someone who KNOWS WHAT THEIR DOING.

While your advice is somewhat sound in theory putting that into practice takes serious know how and no small degree of guts to pull off successfully. And a kangaroo is not a 2000 pound bovine with a bad attitude. I've seen cows, not even as powerful as a bull, ram right through several fences without even slowing down. To an animal like a cow, bull or horse we are barely an afterthought in terms of an obstacle.

A punch anywhere would not even be felt. They can be controlled using strategic pressure points like the top lip trick but unless the animal is tied as well I don't recommend trying it. And you also have to grab just right. A large bovine or ungulate in full charge is not likely to afford you the time to pull it off correctly.

Rofl, no doubt. Getting them to stand still while you punch em in the nose is a real challenge. People have got to remember that some of these beasts charge at each other full blast to smash heads together for fun. I don't think they would even notice getting punched by a measly human. And big bears? Forget it. That would just pi$$ them off even more. It would feel like swatting at flies to them. Remember, their reach is a lot longer than ours is.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:08 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
true, after all, who would think it could be dangerous to approach a lone buffalo

You’re probably not going to think something is dangerous if there’s a large crowd of people doing it.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:27 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
You are absolutely correct, NVplumber. "My" bison wasn't out in the wild, no head of steam like I said and my Dad was just plain lucky acting on his instinct to save his baby girl. The bison did stop and not trample me but I bet that was because it said "wth was that big fly hitting me??" IDK what Dad did after but he was a smart man, I think he probably raised his arms up to look bigger and yelled at it. Dad was probably lucky it didn't charge him.

My late hubby used to break horses at the family ranch when he was young. It used to amaze me, the stories he told of these nice horses being broken in. I could not equate roaring rage to them.

Love your first hand stories of "the wild west"!

Old 07-26-2019, 01:56 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Yes because a 9 year old is going to step up and punch a charging buffalo in the nose.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:31 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Poor child... my sympathies to her. She has idiots for parents. I hope she recovers fully.

Tourists never cease to amaze... in a bad way.

According to the article the kid was released from the hospital. Also according to the article no citations or fines were issued, and that's actually part of the problem. Every single person in that video, including the guy filming it should be slapped with something that hurts them financially.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes because a 9 year old is going to step up and punch a charging buffalo in the nose.
would have worked out better for her than running away like a little girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events