Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I don't understand people who go into animal care related jobs and abuse animals. Like find a new job. Good lort
Like airline gate agents. They hate people, lack interpersonal communication skills, and yet choose to work a job where they deal with people all day long. They're vile creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 03:00 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
NVPlumber...they found a way to back the little guy into the corner..regulations, regulations and more regulations.
They can absorb the cost but the small time rancher can't.

Oh I know that all to well. Big ag has the FDA in its pocket and the huge operations especially in ranching have been stepping on the little guy for a LONG time before the FDA even existed. Just like it has been with other industries. Hell in the late 1800s Washington (US Grant being a big player here) would rent out the Army to whoever had the most money to run off homesteaders, control labor forces, squash small ranches that had land and water resources big operations wanted it was blatant and brutal.

Not much has really changed other than overt use of federal military forces to back the big bucks. But the government still backs big ag in things like grazing rights, regulation of farm and ranch products by the FDA making operations cost prohibitive for small operations, control of water resources and a slew of other stuff.

Sheesh backyard gardens are actually illegal now per the FDA and USDA. Pushing back against big ag isn't an easy or inexpensive thing. And there is a serious amount of power that comes with the government being in bed with big ag the same way big pharma is. Politicians only care about who is padding their personal bank accounts. Otherwise why would someone who is already a million or billionaire spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get elected to a job that only pays 175 grand a year?

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Because they care about the American people and are driven to serve.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Those cows being hurt in the video have a look on their face as if they are so sad. or maybe its just me projecting my own sadness on them,but they actually looked sad to me.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 AM

538 posts, read 731,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Those cows being hurt in the video have a look on their face as if they are so sad. or maybe its just me projecting my own sadness on them,but they actually looked sad to me.
They ARE sad. They are very, very sad. Anybody going through what they are going through would be very, very sad.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:35 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
They ARE sad. They are very, very sad. Anybody going through what they are going through would be very, very sad.

Yes, I suppose sad is as good a term as any. But they are also terrified. Imminent pain and death will do that to most critters, humans included. Bear in mind also that their noses are a lot more sensitive than ours, and the smell of death on the air had to be more than perceptible even to pathetic human olfactory sense.

Seeing things like this well and truly pisses me off. I do believe that the punishments meted out for animal abuse are a tad on the light side. Mostly the law treats it as a misdemeanor with no jail time involved. Just fines and maybe probation and/or community service.

These clowns have a bullwhipping coming and if I owned those calves they would bloody sure be paying me full market price for dead and injured stock. I know there are more and bigger concerns than money here, but having to pay for all that dead stock would go toward putting the hurt on these varmints.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:24 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
I really really hate people that abuse animals. I will never buy a fairlife product.....no matter what.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
FWIW, Fairlife milk turned up this weekend, for the first time, in the dairy cases of my local Aldi (I live about 600 miles from Fair Oaks Dairy); most of the clientele here are motivated by price, and price alone -- because they have more immediate concerns than animal-rights over-simplifications.

Take a closer look at the video: Yes, it's cruel, and yes, these actions are already punishable by law. But the same scenes of brutality are repeated several times, to incite an audience often far-removed and sheltered from economic reality. For the daily realities of a life in agriculture are far-removed from sanitized and fantasized "Disneyism" There is no on/off switch on a dairy animal and the milk (and manure) it produces -- but nobody much wants to work on a cold winter morning, especially on weekends and holidays. The typical animal-rights activist, with her suburban castle and her cuddly pets, would run away screaming, or at best -- cook up some cheap excuses.

There is a huge gap between the over-sanitized lifestyle sold by Madison Avenue and the gritty reality of agricultural and industrial activity. To bridge that gap, well-intentioned laws are sometimes flouted, because the cost of enforcing them to the letter are simply too high, or the physical realities of the process make the laws unenforceable -- or a combination of both.

This story will be forgotten in a few weeks; because struggling people on the lower rungs of the economy still have to eat, and because the jobs involved in producing food are usually jobs nobody wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This probably happens in every factory farm. At least in this case this man show true remorse and more so than expressing remorse has instituted changes to that will prevent this from happening in the future, Including partnering with an animal rights group to allow them unfettered and unannounced access and inspections whenever they want to come. At this point, boycotting fair life is simply giving your money to other factory farms who have not yet made these changes instead of the one who has.
And the "Help Wanted" sign is always out at those "factory farms" -- Any of you animal lovers want a job?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-16-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I really really hate people that abuse animals. I will never buy a fairlife product.....no matter what.
This probably happens in every factory farm. At least in this case this man show true remorse and more so than expressing remorse has instituted changes to that will prevent this from happening in the future, Including partnering with an animal rights group to allow them unfettered and unannounced access and inspections whenever they want to come and installing cameras in all areas with animals. At this point, boycotting fair life is simply giving your money to other factory farms who have not yet made these changes instead of the one who has. When this first happened I felt the same way, but in watching this man’s video I really think he is sincere and he came out and reacted and fixed major issues within a couple of days of this video. It doesn’t even matter what the reasons were, the fact is at this point in time, cows at fair life are being treated better than any other factory farm in the country.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-16-2019 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
If those employees are not charged for a serious crime then I will never buy Fairflife

Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
If those employees are not charged for a serious crime then I will never buy Fairflife
It's not up to Fairlife to charge them only the police can determine the charge. On one early page, there's a video of the CEO detailing the changes he has put in place due to this incident if you want to see what he has done that is within his control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events