Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Four employees have been fired and the Indiana Fair Oaks Dairy owner issued an apology after an undercover video from the Animal Recovery Mission, showing hours-old dairy calves being kicked, beaten, pulled by the ears, and otherwise abused, surfaced.

WARNING: Graphic footage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...sco-core-power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Some people lack any empathy for their fellow humans, much less any animal they encounter. Unfortunately these types of things will probably continue, despite efforts to prevent it. In this case the company may or may not have condoned it, but they apparently didn't have measures in place to prevent it either. The abuse there would still be happening if it hadn't been exposed. Wouldn't be too quick to praise them for their damage control.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
I don't understand people who go into animal care related jobs and abuse animals. Like find a new job. Good lort

Old 06-06-2019, 07:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
I'm not going to watch that video, but I'm glad they were caught. I don't understand how this leads to pulling the product from the shelves though. Is it a revenge thing? The employees were fired. Must the business now be destroyed by bad press and angry customers?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:06 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I don't understand people who go into animal care related jobs and abuse animals. Like find a new job. Good lort
Maybe they are sickos who want to abuse animals and a job with animals gives them easy access?

Anyway, this is sad and horrifying and awful and the company managers and leadership are responsible for letting it happen. The abusers should be severely punished, but since the law enforcement officials in charge threatened the person who took and published the undercover video instead of the evil creeps, that is probably unlikely.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
These types of industries do tend to attract their fair share of bottom dwellers.

It's bad enough the animals are living under bad conditions, but then you get people that seem to get a perverse delight in treating these animals with exceptional cruelty, ensuring that they suffer as much as possible.

This is hardly an isolated incident as numerous undercover videos have shown.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
These types of industries do tend to attract their fair share of bottom dwellers.

It's bad enough the animals are living under bad conditions, but then you get people that seem to get a perverse delight in treating these animals with exceptional cruelty, ensuring that they suffer as much as possible.

This is hardly an isolated incident as numerous undercover videos have shown.
Ever since I've seen ads for Fairlife milk I've wondered about this product. What in the hell does ultra-filtered mean? To me it sounds like a way to sell milk to people who have more money than brains.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:43 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Sadly this type of savage behavior towards our farm animals is the norm for all types of animals farmed in the US. There are acts of cruelty that are worse then this that are legally allowed on farm animals. All because the animal agriculture lobby in the USA is extremely powerful and has basically bribed the government at all levels to allow them to squeeze every every last penny of profit. Each extra penny of profit is gained by cruelty and torture that would make most humans shudder if they knew about it. Its so bad that most of us would probably physically try to step in and stop someone if they tried to do the same things to an animal in front of us. This is why the majority of animal farming operations never allow the public to tour their facilities. The only one that do are the niche operations that humanely raise animals.

I won't get into the graphic details but if someone is curious feel free to DM me and I will give further information. I have been a lifelong meat lover and a life long vegetable hater. However, after learning about how evil the animal agriculture industry is in the US; I went full vegan. I'm completely ok with eating meat. But what the animals endure in the US can be described with no other word then "evil." And I will never support evil in any shape or form.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM

271 posts, read 247,952 times
I grew up on a dairy farm. My father loved his cows and treated them well as they were our bread and butter. That is why I just don't understand why some operations would treat their animals like this. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
These big farms make enough money to hire a person to walk through the barns/sheds all day, checking to see if there are injured animals... like hiring a private inspector. That is HIS job, and HIS job only.

I would think that owners like the Indiana Fair Oaks Dairy owner would rather pay a full time inspector, than lose thousands of dollars when videos like this hit the internet and ruin their reputation.

If this inspector finds an injured animal, or witnesses acts of cruelty, a report should be made up, and each person or crews working in that area that day should be brought into the office after their shift, and questioned.

Every employee working in that area should be under the threat of being fired immediately, if no one reports it or fesses up.

I know I'd report it because number one, I love animals, and two, I'd be damned angry to be fired if I knew it was one of my fellow workers. Offering a good $$ initiative to report fellow workers might help too.

The same goes for the slaughter houses. Hire a personal inspector to ensure that the animals are being slaughtered in ONLY humane methods.

Last edited by gouligann; 06-07-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events