Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
While I admire your thoughts on the subject, how do you know that a "local farmer" has better standards in raising their produce and animals? Do you tour their farm?

Also, a common problem found at "farmers markets" are people who buy their produce elsewhere (they do not raise it themselves) and peddle it as their own.

Per that one poster, even family farms must send their livestock to the same slaughterhouses the factory farms use. If that's the case, the animal has a happier life up until that day, but then will still suffer terribly.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much different the slaughter process is for Kosher meat? I'd pay more for that if the animals were treated more humanely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
I love the taste of meat and all, but realities like this has made me very reluctant to consume it.

If there was a family rancher nearby that treats their animals well, I'd just get all my meat and dairy from them.

But in the meantime, I'll just not eat any land meat, because I can get my animal protein needs met from wild caught fish.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
One of the men has been arrested and charged with warrants out for two of the others. He was charged with cruelty to animals which is disgustingly only a misdemeanor, but they also charged him with “torture or mutilation of a vertebrate animal” which I’ve never heard of before but is a felony.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:47 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Why are you posting this horrible information? I agree with you that many modern practices in the meat industry are cruel, but to change doesn't it have to start with legislation?

We should focus on this story and the calves from Fair Oaks Farm.
I posted this because of the calves that were abused. My first post was along the lines of "the abuse of the calves is horrible and there are many worse practices that are legal and way worse then this illegal abuse." There were quite a few ignorant posters who have no clue in regards to this subject who responded to that post with things such as (and I'm just paraphrasing) "your a liar, you have no idea what your talking about, your exaggerating etc." So the information I posted was to assert that everything I posted was accurate.

And yes legislation is the KEY to stopping these horrible practices. In fact, most of my monetary efforts are directed towards changing legislation. Last year I took part in a legislation change in Australia that was a landmark decision that greatly increased the welfare of farm animals. However, the only way legislation changes occur is if there is widespread public knowledge and condemnation of the act. This can only happen if the public is aware of what is going on.

The perfect example of this is De beer's. They had been committing atrocities for decades but kept it well hidden. Many people who would outright boycott their products bought their jewelry because they were not aware of their practices. That is why you need to know this horrible information. Most people don't realize that the animal farming industry is as evil as it is. The only way to change that is to make people aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows how much different the slaughter process is for Kosher meat? I'd pay more for that if the animals were treated more humanely.
I'm familiar with kosher slaughter. It is relatively more humane then factory farming slaughterhouses. I will give you the details. Whether you consider it humane enough is up to you. I'm giving a quick summery here so please don't think I'm purposely leaving out any details. Jewish and Muslim slaughter practices state that an animals throat must be cut and blood must be drained from the body. They do not allow stunning of the animal beforehand because they state it wouldn't be kosher if the animal was stunned. However, many Muslim Imam's are reversing their opinion on this. So some slaughterhouses that do Islamic kosher slaughter stun the animals. In my opinion the "stunned kosher slaughter" is the most humane slaughter method we have at the moment. When done correctly, the animal feels very little pain and have a quick death. However, this method is still relatively new because the Muslim Imam's changed their opinion on the subject very recently. The vast majority of all kosher slaughter is done on animals that are not stunned.

The positive of the kosher slaughter is that each animal has to be systematically put into a machine that turns them upside down to drain their blood. Therefore, each animal is handled separately. Meaning, they do not suffer the torture of the factory farm slaughterhouses where they are boiled alive, disemboweled alive etc. For me personally, kosher slaughter without stunning the animal is not humane enough to eat meat. HOWEVER, objectively speaking this method of slaughter is equivalent to the pain an animal would feel if they were hunted down by a carnivore in the wild. So if your ok with an animal suffering no more pain then they would in the wild; you may be ok with kosher slaughter. As I said, kosher slaughter is painful but its still 100X better then factory farm slaughter. Especially since the animals die quickly after their throat is cut.

Last edited by griffon652; 06-13-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 AM

972 posts, read 541,989 times
This is even worse than putting a dog into dog fights. As disgustingly heartless as it is to lead the dogs into injury for things like money or sport, at least there's an identifiable motive. The torture of hours-old calves is a much deeper level of sickness.

I understand that many animals would kill us in very brutal ways for food, territory, or just to be aggressive. But we're not those animals. We're more evolved in that aspect and have standards of decency and respect that extends to our co-existence with animals.

I've already seen videos of this nature. I won't watch this one.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,526 times
31-year-old Santiago Ruvalcaba Contreros, 36-year-old Edgar Gardozo Vazquez and 38-year-old Miguel Angel Navarro Serrano.

They will be great cartel employees after they are deported. Very little empathy or humanity.

I don't think everyone needs to destroy the farm. The owner seems truly remorseful and he had already taken action based on employee reports of these individuals actions.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
.........., because I can get my animal protein needs met from wild caught fish.

With not a care about the poor things suffocating to death, gasping in desperation, or the thousands of "trash" fish hauled up in nets and killed for no reason.

Are you absolutely sure that fish feel no pain and never feel fear? No worries that they are crushed together in the net?

It's OK that they are gutted and frozen while still alive? Dragged around with a barbed hook in their mouth while they fight for their life?

No concern about porpoise kill?

And what about the crabs boiled while still alive and the oysters eaten while still alive?

Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM

108 posts, read 56,528 times
That was disgusting

Old 06-13-2019, 02:52 PM

538 posts, read 731,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Sadly this type of savage behavior towards our farm animals is the norm for all types of animals farmed in the US. There are acts of cruelty that are worse then this that are legally allowed on farm animals. All because the animal agriculture lobby in the USA is extremely powerful and has basically bribed the government at all levels to allow them to squeeze every every last penny of profit. Each extra penny of profit is gained by cruelty and torture that would make most humans shudder if they knew about it. Its so bad that most of us would probably physically try to step in and stop someone if they tried to do the same things to an animal in front of us. This is why the majority of animal farming operations never allow the public to tour their facilities. The only one that do are the niche operations that humanely raise animals.

I won't get into the graphic details but if someone is curious feel free to DM me and I will give further information. I have been a lifelong meat lover and a life long vegetable hater. However, after learning about how evil the animal agriculture industry is in the US; I went full vegan. I'm completely ok with eating meat. But what the animals endure in the US can be described with no other word then "evil." And I will never support evil in any shape or form.
Right there with you, griffon652.

I started eating WFPB (whole food plant based)about a year and a half ago because, after much research, found it to be the healthiest way to eat. While watching many videos on the subject, I was exposed to some of the horrors going on with these poor animals from day 1 of their lives. I could only watch a few seconds and then would start yelling/crying. These animals are not just killed...they are TORTURED...each and every day of their very short lives. I will definitely not support this outrageous behavior with my dollars. There's not a day that's gone by that I haven't given some thought on what I can do to help put an end to this ongoing horror show. I lay awake at night and think of the BILLIONS of animals and where they are at that moment and think I must do something.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:15 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
While I admire your thoughts on the subject, how do you know that a "local farmer" has better standards in raising their produce and animals? Do you tour their farm?

Also, a common problem found at "farmers markets" are people who buy their produce elsewhere (they do not raise it themselves) and peddle it as their own.
I was a local farmer. 1 bull and 7 cows. I wouldn't say better standards. You can better take care of them when done on a small scale.

Take your typical backyard veggie garden as an example.
You can take care of what..10 tomato plants no problem.
Can you take care of 500 just as well ?

We took a steer to freezer camp every year. Local butcher..only had 2 chutes so you had to book in advance. Yes he used humane methods. The place was USDA inspected but because there was not a USDA agent on the premises every day to oversee every butcher I could not sell the meat and it was labeled as such.."Not to be sold". These are the types of "family farms" where you buy 1/2 of the steer still living so it's your cow when it's brought in for processing and you go to the butcher to pick up your meat.

FWIW I didn't sell anything to the public. That annual steer was divided up among family.

Some farmer markets have you fill out an affidavit stating that whatever you sell is yours that you grew/raised. If your farmer's market does not have that in place then find somewhere else to buy.

You can also deal with local farmers directly and buy off their website and go to their farm/ranch to pick up your purchase. I did that with chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events