Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 02:21 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,882,804 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on the plane incident, I wasn't there. But the freebies they're racking up. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,584,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
MY BS detector is going off.

So is mine. The article itself says the passengers may have been clapping because the plane was finally going to take off after a long delay. There is no way a plane full of passengers would clap for a kid being distressed by a medical issue. Maybe one or two jerks, but no way all of these.

Just another "Media" sensationalism presentation to make up a story using by leaving out parts of it.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:42 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,468,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Although I know people who need service dogs, the acceptance has gone overboard.

Recently I was in a grocery store, and Mrs. Granny Bluehair had her precious dog-person in there. I complained and she told me it was her "service dog". Now, my BS detector is well honed, so I asked her for certification. She told me to "F" off.

Maybe next time that precious dog-person will wear the toe of my size 13 shoe a few times by 'accident'. Like every time my cart gets near it. By accident of course. A few times. By accident.

I can't stand the abuse of 'disabilities' when there are so many people with real disabilities. I feel the same when people abuse disabled parking.
Then by the law of averages you would be harassing legitimately handicap people some of the time. If you do so, may you get whatever the law allows. Who are you to go around demanding justification from anyone for their service animal? Your attitude blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I agree lying about a dog being a service dog is wrong. But I'm trying to figure out why you felt the need to confront Granny Blue Hair. Do you have a dog allergy or do you just hate the idea of a dog in a store? While you're at it maybe you could explain why you would feel compelled to repeatedly kick an old lady for lying about her dog.
He wouldn't know if she was lying. It's an assumption. Maybe she's sick of being questioned about a legitimate need, especially by anyone hostile.

Last edited by bjh; 02-26-2016 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: cleaning it up

Old 02-26-2016, 02:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,866,850 times
They applause when an injured player during a game gets taken off the field. The applause was not for negative reasons, it was for support.

But some people may not honestly understand the clapping thing for support. But given how many freebies a person can get from being a "victim", I doubt they did not understand, but wanted to spin the story.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:01 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,868,500 times
I hope the parents didn't expect the airline to boot the service dog off the plane--and I can't imagine the flight attendant "smirking" about it, either.

Bottom line: Their child has an allergy that they need to accommodate by checking flights before they schedule, contacting the media so that they can show their son how to marinate in feeling aggrieved is not helpful, the passengers were idiots, and the boy sounds smarter than everyone.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:33 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Exactly. #1 it was a service dog and #2 the plane had already been delayed 90 minutes so I am sure the people were applauding the plane finally leaving.

The airline did all it could to help the family now the family is looking for its 15 minutes of fame and is blowing it all out of proportion.
Exactly. I'm finding it very hard to believe that the passengers were applauding the child's allergy attack. In fact, I'm finding it impossible to believe

Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,989,119 times
Timeline:

2001 Legally Blonde

2012 Purse dogs all the rage. Urban hipsters have to be dog owners.

2015 Dog sh- smeared on sidewalks everywhere. Apt. complex lawns become dense latrines for dogs.
2016 Passengers and lodging guests celebrate dog asswipe on surfaces and against fellow passengers, over human needs.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,408,238 times
After being kicked off a flight after experiencing an allergic reaction, a Valley boy and his family are going to Disneyland courtesy of Southwest Airlines! Valley family kicked off Allegiant Air flight after allergic reaction to dog - ABC15 Arizona

Kudos to Southwest Airlines!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:18 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,357,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't think animals should be allowed to fly in the cabin for any reason. There are now too many people insisting on bringing them, and a lot of planes are small and cramped.

Somehow we survived for how long without pets everywhere in public places where humans are served.
My "get off my lawn" comment du jour:

I'd rather have the Westminster Dog Show in the cabin than a bunch of screaming infants.

If I had a kid who had dog allergies, I'd be at Home Depot buying the best HEPA filter mask I could find so I could get on the next flight. A good 3M respirator mask is sub-$25.00 on Amazon. How incompetent are these parents?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,139,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm pretty sure the airline would not want to take that risk, so the kid had to go.

I don't think animals should be allowed to fly in the cabin for any reason. There are now too many people insisting on bringing them, and a lot of planes are small and cramped.

Somehow we survived for how long without pets everywhere in public places where humans are served.
Yes, "we" survived while those with handicaps stayed at home, paid someone to do their grocery shopping for them, had few friends and few opportunities to meet others because of their handicaps. Were it not for my dog - she is not my pet, she is a tool - I would do far less. I wouldn't be going out to meet friends for lunch, or off to a town hall meeting, or presenting a business plan to the county. I take as good care of her as if she were a person accompanying me everywhere I go. But she's better even than my husband. My service dog has no interest in looking at her own things (even when we go down the pet aisle) and she takes care of her business - me. In the courtroom or the mayor's office or my doctor, my dog is patient, doesn't need a drink, complain she's too hot/cold, need to take off her jacket, can't get a signal on her cellphone, etc. but she does keep me from dangerous situations.

She isn't baggage and I need her with me. Perhaps your carry on could go in a crate where you'd have dogs/pets put. That space you are taking up under your seat and in the overhead bin could be reconfigured to make room for someone's service dog so you wouldn't be cramped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events