Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 09:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Maybe take the greyhound bus , as no dogs allowed on this bus
Wrong

https://www.greyhound.com/en/help-an...h-disabilities

Quote:
We welcome service animals on board Greyhound buses (they always seem to enjoy the ride too). You must remain in control of your animal at all times, on a leash, harness or carrier and they must ride within your space – so they can’t occupy a seat or lay down in the aisle. If we think a service animal may threaten the health or safety of our staff or other passengers, we may refuse to have them on board.
They are allowed on Amtrak too:

https://www.amtrak.com/service-animals-and-pet-policy

Quote:
Generally, animals are not allowed on Amtrak. However, service animals are permitted in all areas where passengers are allowed. Service animals are animals that are trained to perform a specific task for the benefit of a person with a disability. Amtrak personnel may ask what task(s) the service animal performs. Carry-on pet guidelines do not pertain to passengers traveling with service animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 12:07 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I agree 200% I hate when people are like "emotional support dogs" If you really can't get on a plane without having crippling anxiety than please drive. Flying is a luxury not a right. I don't want to have to sit next your stinky dog on a nine hour flight. I'd rather sit next to someone with allergies.
I have a service dog for my grand son who is autistic..It is an Emotional Support dog.... And telling my grand son who is 9 to drive is just STUPID.....

Now IF I had to fly with my grand son and his dog, you would NOT have to sit next to my dog..It would be in the middle seat between either me or my wife and our grand son....

Also it would NOT be stinky..My dog is well groomed and probably smells better than you do...

Also if you think that flying is a privilege and NOT a right, then why don't you drive and leave the other people alone... I am sure they would appreciate it as well.....

Old 02-28-2016, 01:05 PM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have a service dog for my grand son who is autistic..It is an Emotional Support dog.... And telling my grand son who is 9 to drive is just STUPID.....

Now IF I had to fly with my grand son and his dog, you would NOT have to sit next to my dog..It would be in the middle seat between either me or my wife and our grand son....

Also it would NOT be stinky..My dog is well groomed and probably smells better than you do...

Also if you think that flying is a privilege and NOT a right, then why don't you drive and leave the other people alone... I am sure they would appreciate it as well.....
Well said! Agree 100%. AND the dogs listens and does as he is told too, I'll bet.

OK first of all, the media blew the story out of proportion... AGAIN.... and how do YOU know that the people were not applauding because they were happy to be on the way?? and not against the child??

Further... sorry, but boo hoo if you are on a plane and allergic to dogs. You know ask ahead of time if there are dogs on the plane, and you decide accordingly. The entire "family" story behind this kid and his sick parent is an aside and not relevant in the least. I see this as an opportunity taken by the family, via the media, for attention and some MONEY!!! Wake up sheeple. This stinks.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:59 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As for the GoFundMe page and the hotel donating the wedding maybe you missed the part where a father of 12 is dying of cancer. It's perfectly reasonable for a family in this situation to reach out for support or for the hotel to do a nice thing for them. Kid was miserable, he had to get off the plane to humiliating applause with medical masks on, the father got to the door and then into a wheelchair. To assume they are gold diggers and this was all an act just to get a trip to Disneyland is nothing short of asinine.
It does cause one to pause though and wonder what's actually going on.

First, it is mighty convenient that the dog allergy was discovered suddenly and on a plane no less as opposed to say, a park or a neighbor's home.

That the father was whisked away in a wheelchair doesn't carry a lot of weight with me. I've seen no end of people waiting in the front of the line in a wheelchair at Southwest that later seem to have no trouble whatsoever hauling their roll around suitcase away from the baggage claim area, sans wheelchair. I observed this as I traveled for years with my mother who actually did need a wheelchair.

That they have twelve children, four who are adopted, is not a get-out-of-jail-free card either as over the years I've known some wonderful parents of large families who love and support multiple children. I've also known parents where the kids are the paycheck in the family. Grain of salt is called for here.

I've also known folks to claim they are dying of cancer who are not dying or don't even have cancer.

That they have been able to parlay their story into a free wedding and a trip to Disneyland, not to mention the GoFundMe account, makes me wonder what's actually going on here.

Seems to me that someone dying of cancer might have more important matters to attend to than hotel weddings, plane trips, etc.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:20 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Ug! It's a matter of common sense... whatever you want to call the dog, it's providing a service to a legitimate patient who needs it to function! Your grandson is autistic, and is not just an insecure or anxious adult needing their precious dog is nearby. (or lying and buying a jacket online like someone I know did so their large aging dog could move into their new apartment!)

Again, he doesn't count among the explosion of the "service dog" epidemic everywhere.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Although I know people who need service dogs, the acceptance has gone overboard.

Recently I was in a grocery store, and Mrs. Granny Bluehair had her precious dog-person in there. I complained and she told me it was her "service dog". Now, my BS detector is well honed, so I asked her for certification. She told me to "F" off.

Maybe next time that precious dog-person will wear the toe of my size 13 shoe a few times by 'accident'. Like every time my cart gets near it. By accident of course. A few times. By accident.

I can't stand the abuse of 'disabilities' when there are so many people with real disabilities. I feel the same when people abuse disabled parking.
It is illegal to ask for proof...There's rules ya know...

Old 02-28-2016, 05:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am the owner of a service dog. I once was asked, "but what about the people with allergies to a dog? Do they have to leave the store because you come in?" I had no answer for that woman. And I do still think about it. It's a dilemma. On the one hand is a person whose life/safety depends on the dog's presence and on the other hand is a person whose health is negatively impacted by that presence.

I have no solution. I need my dog. I also care about others and do not wish those with allergies to suffer as I have and still do when hit with a trigger.
Good post.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Why is this thread even about service dogs? The stories posted said there were multiple dogs on the plane. Any small dog is allowed within the cabin of the plane, it doesn't need to be a service dog. I've brought my dog on a plane before (we were moving cross country) and I've been on plenty of planes where other people had their idogs. Its a normal part of flying and one does not need to pretend like they have an emotional support animal in order to get their dog on a flight.

They do however, have to call the airline in advance as a limited number of animals are allowed on each flight. They also have to pay a fee, and the animal takes the place of any carry on bags. When I flew with my dog nearly 10 years ago, it was $100 one way, I'm sure its gone up since then.

I find it suspect that the child suddenly became highly allergic to dogs (due to stress, according to the parents) on this plane ride.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:24 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This was his quote, how embarrassing this must be for you.

"that precious dog-person will wear the toe of my size 13 shoe a few times by 'accident'."

It's not embarrassing for him. I read that to mean the dog. I guess it's ambiguous.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It's not embarrassing for him. I read that to mean the dog. I guess it's ambiguous.

So the word "dog person" in your eyes refers to the dog and not the person? Is a beach person a beach? A car guy a car?

That's it, the internet has officially gone crazy.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-29-2016 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events