Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 07:20 AM

8,107 posts, read 12,837,381 times

Advertisements

There is probably more to the story; most people would not clap because a kid and his family were booted off a plane. I suspect the family got loud and confrontational about the dogs on the plane. People were probably relieved when the family was told to get off the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,138,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Another amazingly callous post. Where was it said that the kid was allergic to everything in sight? You are one of those folks who appear to consider an allergy as a sign of weakness. Wonder how you would feel if this was your kid. It is not unreasonable to board a plane without expecting a dog to be in the cabin.

As for the service dog issue I have not seen too many lap dogs who are service dogs. Yet the overwhelming number of dogs on flights appear to be just that. Something tells me if that dog was a German Shepherd, a typical service dog by the way, it would have been obvious to the kids and the family.
common breeds of service dogs:

standard poodle, chinese crested, doberman, lab, mutt, airedale, mastiff, chihuahua, corgi, and shepherds - to name a few. My own dog is a mountain cur, hunting dog in the hound category. For some issues, like diabetes or seizures, the dog needs to have an innate ability to sense the event before it happens - the training is in how to alert. For blindness, deafness, stability, etc., it's training, temperament, and intelligence.

Quote:
So yeah I'm questionijg the service dog claim too considering how easy it is to obtain documentation.
What documentation is that? There is no OFFICIAL documentation or REQUIRED documentation. While papers can be printed to show anything, the training a service dog has cannot be faked. Lack of good behavior and manners is the #1 reason to remove a service dog from the premises.

Quote:
And finally posters need to get OFF the argument that the passengers where clapping the end of the delay. To the kid it appeared as if they were clapping because he was leaving and that's all that matters. How can anyone claim that would not be hurtful despite the actual intent of the clapping?

Posters need to read the ADA before throwing out their misinformed and uninformed statements based on never having read the act.

Do you know how to identify a service dog? It begins not with the dog but with the handler. The first allowed question is this: Is the dog a service dog required because of a disability? So you see, the first question is NOT what the disability is, but does the handler have a disability that the service dog HELPS with. The second question is what service does the dog perform?

I have no issues being asked what she does for me. Her training is constant. Even though she's been my service dog for 2 years, we are still honing her skills and learning new ones. Walking through the market is an opportunity to learn a new skill or strengthen her existing ones.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:47 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,564,524 times
They are granting access to all kinds of service animals on flights these days, just saw a video of a woman with a service turkey. Turkey sat in its seat (or the woman's lap) for the whole flight and did not make a sound. I'm sorry for the young boy though, he had nothing to do with this. It was not right for passengers to take out their frustrations on this kid. The article says he has stage IV cancer.

The airline should make it right and give him a free flight somewhere with no service animals on board. The airline is not really responsible for this either, but they could step up somehow.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,914,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

The airline should make it right and give him a free flight somewhere with no service animals on board. The airline is not really responsible for this either, but they could step up somehow.
If the child is allergic to dogs, he should not be flying as I doubt there is a plane around that does not have dog dander.

And how is it that they suddenly found out he is allergic to dogs? Surely, this isn't the first time he's been around dogs.

This whole story sounds odd.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:27 AM

1,274 posts, read 981,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If the child is allergic to dogs, he should not be flying as I doubt there is a plane around that does not have dog dander.

And how is it that they suddenly found out he is allergic to dogs? Surely, this isn't the first time he's been around dogs.

This whole story sounds odd.
It's possible they didn't know before that day but I don't understand why the physician said the boy should leave the plane.

Does that mean that putting a reasonable distance from the dog is not enough in such cases?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,138,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
It's possible they didn't know before that day but I don't understand why the physician said the boy should leave the plane.

Does that mean that putting a reasonable distance from the dog is not enough in such cases?
Yes, the dog dander is already in the ventilation system.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,268,058 times
I'm probably the only person in the Western hemisphere who believes that Michael Vick got / continues to get screwed, especially:

1) in relation to the NFL thugs who beat up people and even kill via vehicular homicide, and

2) given that people continue to hate on him even though he paid dearly for his wrongdoings.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 AM

16,353 posts, read 10,473,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'm probably the only person in the Western hemisphere who believes that Michael Vick got / continues to get screwed, especially:

1) in relation to the NFL thugs who beat up people and even kill via vehicular homicide, and

2) given that people continue to hate on him even though he paid dearly for his wrongdoings.

I happen to agree with you. I'm a Redskins fan, an Eagles hater and a dog lover. So yeah the stories of him feeding pets to be killed for pleasure disgusted me. But you are right, he paid a heavy price and it's over. I will never root for him, and I can certainly see why others continue to hate him, but I'm over the hate.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 AM

16,353 posts, read 10,473,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
common breeds of service dogs:

standard poodle, chinese crested, doberman, lab, mutt, airedale, mastiff, chihuahua, corgi, and shepherds - to name a few. My own dog is a mountain cur, hunting dog in the hound category. For some issues, like diabetes or seizures, the dog needs to have an innate ability to sense the event before it happens - the training is in how to alert. For blindness, deafness, stability, etc., it's training, temperament, and intelligence.

What documentation is that? There is no OFFICIAL documentation or REQUIRED documentation. While papers can be printed to show anything, the training a service dog has cannot be faked. Lack of good behavior and manners is the #1 reason to remove a service dog from the premises.

Posters need to read the ADA before throwing out their misinformed and uninformed statements based on never having read the act.

Do you know how to identify a service dog? It begins not with the dog but with the handler. The first allowed question is this: Is the dog a service dog required because of a disability? So you see, the first question is NOT what the disability is, but does the handler have a disability that the service dog HELPS with. The second question is what service does the dog perform?

I have no issues being asked what she does for me. Her training is constant. Even though she's been my service dog for 2 years, we are still honing her skills and learning new ones. Walking through the market is an opportunity to learn a new skill or strengthen her existing ones.
I do not mean to be insensitive. But as mentioned in this thread it is easy to get documentation and with this the owner is now allowed to to bring little Stroodle The Lap Dog onto the plane for "emotional support". Another link showed just how many times this service dog situation is abused for the sole benefit of the owner and the dog with total disregard to others. This is entirely possible in this case as we do not have specifics on the need for this service dog.

A service turkey???? Are you kidding? Sorry if it's a choice between a 7 year old boy and a person who can't fly without a damn turkey sitting in the next seat I'm letting the kid stay and the turkey can take another flight 2 days later.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM

40 posts, read 42,919 times
Has it been proven that the source of his allergy was the dog? It could have been something else like the peanuts they serve on planes for all they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events