Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 03:21 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,050,503 times

Advertisements

Maybe take the greyhound bus , as no dogs allowed on this bus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,207 times
All this back and forth over what is obviously a money grab by some greedy people.

I mean, some got up on soap boxes and wrote tomes on service animals. Almost every one here agrees that the people were probably clapping because they were finally leaving.

Good grief.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:51 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,588,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
All this back and forth over what is obviously a money grab by some greedy people.

I mean, some got up on soap boxes and wrote tomes on service animals. Almost every one here agrees that the people were probably clapping because they were finally leaving.

Good grief.
Its a shame that so many cannot bring themselves to give others the benefit of the doubt.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:53 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,670,973 times
I don't care if you're two days late, you're on a subsidized transportation mode, that response and sense of indignation about being delayed is not right. I don't understand the narcissism of people when it comes to public transportation. You live in society, your ticket to hurl through the sky at 8 nautical miles a minute is being SUBSIDIZED by every other animal sitting next to you in that airplane. Don't want to be inconvenienced by your carbon copies and the trappings of human frailty? Make enough money to charter your own jet. I'm a professional pilot, and I'm intimately familiar with the real cost of flying you and your crap that fast through the skies if you were to pay the non-subsidy rate. Bunch of entitled welfare recipients, bullying their equals. UFB.

These people are in the wrong for shaming that family. I'm glad to read other passengers exchanged words with the clappers. Shows that this idea the clapping was innocent is indeed not facts in evidence and was challenged on the spot. Frankly, the pet angle on this story is irrelevant, the human behavior aspect of this story is embarrassing and despondent on its own.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I don't care if you're two days late, you're on a subsidized transportation mode, that response and sense of indignation about being delayed is not right. I don't understand the narcissism of people when it comes to public transportation. You live in society, your ticket to hurl through the sky at 8 nautical miles a minute is being SUBSIDIZED by every other animal sitting next to you in that airplane. Don't want to be inconvenienced by your carbon copies and the trappings of human frailty? Make enough money to charter your own jet. I'm a professional pilot, and I'm intimately familiar with the real cost of flying you and your crap that fast through the skies if you were to pay the non-subsidy rate. Bunch of entitled welfare recipients, bullying their equals. UFB.

These people are in the wrong for shaming that family. I'm glad to read other passengers exchanged words with the clappers. Shows that this idea the clapping was innocent is indeed not facts in evidence and was challenged on the spot. Frankly, the pet angle on this story is irrelevant, the human behavior aspect of this story is embarrassing and despondent on its own.
What???

So it's wrong to be upset that your plane was delayed.

There are connecting flights, etc. Many are traveling for business. How is it narcissistic?

I do agree with you it had nothing to do with animals, which makes it annoying to read through all of these novels about the benefits of service animals.

This family got what they wanted.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:33 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times
Looks like this family of 14 will be getting a Disneyland vacation out of this.

In January, they received a free wedding and reception. Airline passenger contradicts applause reports: 'I can't believe they made a story like this out of that'

"Fabian and Alvarado, 48, also were in the news in January, when the Hilton Garden Inn in Avondale threw them a wedding after learning of Alvarado's cancer. Fabian said the hotel donated the space and the food and the couple paid for all other wedding expenses."

They also a fundraising page.

Anyone want to bet that this is the last we've heard from this fine family and their various strategies to get freebies?

Old 02-28-2016, 05:54 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,562,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They are granting access to all kinds of service animals on flights these days, just saw a video of a woman with a service turkey. Turkey sat in its seat (or the woman's lap) for the whole flight and did not make a sound. I'm sorry for the young boy though, he had nothing to do with this. It was not right for passengers to take out their frustrations on this kid. The article says he has stage IV cancer.
I think the airlines need to establish a designated barnyard area.
Better yet, start up a new airline called Noah's Ark.

Seriously, what is up with this explosion of emotionally crippled people insisting precious Fido always be holding their hand everywhere they go? I'm really starting to feel contempt for these people!
Btw, this is completely seperate from "real" service animals, and they should not be mixed up with the pretend ones.

As for the kid, it's a bummer, but if the dog were a real service animal it does trump the allergies.
As for the clapping, most folks clap when the plane starts moving. It wasn't moving while the boy was walking down the aisle while still on the plane, so yeah I think it was kinda mean, but his parents milked it me thinks.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:03 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Especially in winter, when people are more likely to have on outerwear and woolly clothes, there's got to be more pet dander in an airplane from dog and cat owners' contact transfer as there is from any one actual dog. I think in some cases like this the reaction is partially psychosomatic from seeing the dog. Allergies and asthma suck but it's simply not realistic to expect an airline to produce an environment safe for people with severe allergies, whether or not animals are actually allowed in the cabin.
I don't understand how the child can suddenly be allergic to dog dander. Unless he has been in a bubble until the moment he stepped on that plane, he has been exposed to dog dander in numerous situations. Surely, he would have had a reaction at some point.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM

16,353 posts, read 10,478,908 times
Some of you remain incredibly insensitive and your attitude is very hard for me to accept. What does the fact they have 12 children, 4 adopted by the way, have to do with anything? "They got what they wanted" is again incredibly insensitive and a stupid conclussion. What proof is there that they wanted to go through his ordeal? The article people are linking as some sort of proof with a quote from one passenger saying she could not believe they made a story about this also had another passenger IN THE VERY SAME ARTICLE backing the family's claim and included the quote "I wanted to cry for them".

As for the GoFundMe page and the hotel donating the wedding maybe you missed the part where a father of 12 is dying of cancer. It's perfectly reasonable for a family in this situation to reach out for support or for the hotel to do a nice thing for them. Kid was miserable, he had to get off the plane to humiliating applause with medical masks on, the father got to the door and then into a wheelchair. To assume they are gold diggers and this was all an act just to get a trip to Disneyland is nothing short of asinine.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:25 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,499,233 times
I have a friend who is so intensely allergic to cats that she cannot get near anyone who has a cat because the cat protein that causes the allergic reaction is on their clothes. So what to do, fumigate all airline passengers because they may have or may have come into contact with a cat before boarding a flight she is taking?

Of course not. So she takes meds and carries an epipen. The world cannot accommodate everyone's ills nor should it be expected to.

We don't know if this was a true service dog in this story so why are people here assuming it wasn't? We don't know whether or not the parents behaved belligerently or rudely to passengers and crew so why are people immediately jumping to their defense just because they took their story to Social Media? Conversely we don't know if the airline personnel were really as dismissive to their needs as they claim.

In short, none of us were there. We can only judge this situation based on some pretty biased reporting.

We do know that this is one of those stories in which some parents are trying to get support in the Court of Public Opinion by posting a picture of their adorable little kid apparently not caring the consequences that may have for him. That always makes me suspect just whose story is valid. The real loser here, I think, is the poor kid who is being used by his parents for whatever gain they are seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events