Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:04 AM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Usually a dog allergy isn't triggered until the dog is quite close, so it should have worked simply to swap seats around a bit to get the kid further from the dog-- if it was even the dog who triggered the allergy.

I'm pretty sure the airline would not want to take that risk, so the kid had to go.

I don't think animals should be allowed to fly in the cabin for any reason. There are now too many people insisting on bringing them, and a lot of planes are small and cramped.

Somehow we survived for how long without pets everywhere in public places where humans are served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 11:04 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times
If they were clapping because the plane was ready to take off, then the people would have already been off the plane. Sounds like they were clapping as they were walking off. No matter what the situation, I'd have probably been ticked too if that happened to me and my 7 year old if I had perceived it that way.

Nevertheless, sh-it happens.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
[color="blue"]There's a registry for service dogs? I had no idea! (sarcasm) THERE IS NO REGISTRATION. THERE IS NO CERTIFICATION. Many of us train our own service dogs but understand this: service dogs are highly trained and are identifiable by that training. There is no question when my (self-trained) service dog and I walk through the supermarket or go out to lunch/dinner. She elicits stares because people marvel at her - at her behavior mostly.

As for "shelling out a few bucks", to "buy" (adopt actually) a professionally trained service dog, that few bucks can easily be $20K to $30K - that's right THOUSAND. Look it up. And then there's the need for training the owner and the need to further train the animal to provide the exact service that is needed. Not to mention the vet care.

IF you feel the need to know whether it's a service dog, OBSERVE. As for asking why the person has a need for a service dog, do you walk up to strangers and ask them what's wrong with them? It's the same thing. People with disabilities don't like to have all that attention. Whatever the disability, it's bad enough having attention called to yourself simply by having a service dog, but then having strangers ask you what exactly is wrong with you is horrendous. I don't get insulted usually and I try my best to educate but when a store owner comes up behind me (not a smart move as I'm super easily startled since I cannot hear what goes on behind me - not footsteps, etc.) and grabs my shoulder (assault) to confront me saying, "What are you blind? Get that dog out of here." I take umbrage at that - and truthfully, I take umbrage at those who ask "innocent" questions to determine whether in THEIR opinion, my medical needs are such that I can bring my (highly trained) sweet little poochie shopping or into a restaurant.

My handicap is invisible. As are many people's handicaps. I have a friend with reactive diabetes. She doesn't wear a sign that says she is handicapped, nor do I.

I spent 3 hours in a restaurant recently with friends over a very leisurely lunch/meeting and my dog was invisible to most - other than there was a chair moved out of the way and my dog in the space where that chair had been.
Trust me on this. There is a website where folks can go and get their dog certified as a "service dog" on line for a few bucks. I have been handed those papers when I inquired about a dog. There are many people who do greatly benefit from having a service animal. .My problem is with those who do not want to leave their pets at home and falsely claim the service dog title. The sign above my desk says NO PETS so I am required to ask. Sometimes it gets difficult to explain why Granny can have Fluffy and someone else (honest person) can not bring their pet.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapenolink View Post
I nearly died from an allergy attack so I feel for the kid.
Except that this boy wasn't even known to be "allergic" to dogs until he got on that plane that happened to have a service dog on it. That's the part that doesn't ring true here. That the child would have a severe enough reaction from a short time in the same passenger cabin as the dog to immediately develop hives makes the parents' claim that he was allergic to the dog and that they didn't know it seem very suspicious.

My admittedly very mild allergy to tree pollen makes me stuffy and teary-eyed. I think that most people who are allergic to air-borne allergens tend to have symptoms that affect them the same way in various degrees. Itching and hives, though, suggests closer contact with an allergen than just being near it, including touching and/or ingesting it.

I think the parents were looking for more than just their 15 minutes of fame, and they apparently got it as Southwest is going to grace them with a Disney vacation.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Fabian and Alvarado, 48, were also in the news in January, when the Hilton Garden Inn threw them a wedding after learning of Alvarado's cancer. Fabian said the hotel donated the space and the food and the couple paid for all other wedding expenses.

Hmmm. Does he really have cancer? Because most people I know that have had cancer did not run around to the media shouting it from the rooftops so they could get perks.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
If they were clapping because the plane was ready to take off, then the people would have already been off the plane. Sounds like they were clapping as they were walking off. No matter what the situation, I'd have probably been ticked too if that happened to me and my 7 year old if I had perceived it that way.

Nevertheless, sh-it happens.
Excellent point about the timing of the applause. That follow up story quoting the passangers does not change anything. It was a kid, a kid who was suffering and embarrassed. Even one person clapping could be very hurtful.

By the way it was a fairly immediate reaction, why did it delay 90 minutes again?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you can produce that certificate, I will allow you to go along your way. Otherwise, you need to get out of here.

Or a size 13 boot up.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Hmmm. Does he really have cancer? Because most people I know that have had cancer did not run around to the media shouting it from the rooftops so they could get perks.
So, maybe professional scammers? It could be. My guess is that they got free hotel for the two days, refund of their original tickets, and then a free trip home to Mesa. That's a good deal. Better yet, they get the Disney trip from Southwest, and they already got the free shindig from Hilton.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So, maybe professional scammers? It could be. My guess is that they got free hotel for the two days, refund of their original tickets, and then a free trip home to Mesa. That's a good deal. Better yet, they get the Disney trip from Southwest, and they already got the free shindig from Hilton.

My granddaughter is 7, and that kid sounds like he's been coached. I think it's a scam.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I agree lying about a dog being a service dog is wrong. But I'm trying to figure out why you felt the need to confront Granny Blue Hair. Do you have a dog allergy or do you just hate the idea of a dog in a store? While you're at it maybe you could explain why you would feel compelled to repeatedly kick an old lady for lying about her dog.
It is disgusting to have a fur bearing animal among fresh food. BTW, it is not the old lady I would kick... that is assault and illegal. It is her lil' precious mutt that would yelp, as accidents do happen when critters wander around my feet. Oooooppps.

Yeah, I know, it is a bit childish, and I would not truly hurt the dog, but certainly I am not above causing Granny Bluehair thinking I did. I just get so angry at those who abuse the system for their own selfish reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events