Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 01:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
As an African American, I'd tell these White people to go home to their well to do families and stop pretending that they know what it's like to be oppressed. This isn't their fight and they're not helping.

Explain 'oppression' in this circumstance.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

OMG!!!

Look, it is not a race thing to protest. It is about systematic execution of black men at the hands of law enforcement, vigilantes, or just angry insecure white men. Anyone who thinks that is wrong is welcome to join the protest.

It's always about angry and insecure old white men, right?

Old 11-30-2014, 02:07 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
He did get a trial, and from what I've read, it was extensive and very methodical. Just because you already have a pre-conceived idea of what constitutes a "just" outcome does not mean that you should get what you want. You are not privy to the details that were presented to the jury, and you are not part of the process. It's ridiculous to protest when you don't get what you want; that is not how our system works.

Also, while technically a "boy", he did not act like a "boy" in the most classical sense of the word. He intimidated and threatened a hapless store clerk, and he then did the same to a police officer. Do you think Michael Brown should go through life intimidating and bullying other people to get what he wants? I laugh when his parents make the TV circuit talking about the pain of losing their son. All I see is a set of parents who have failed because they raised a huge and dangerous thug. If he was a nice kid who did not rob a store minutes before this encounter, and who actually listened to the cop to get off the street...he would be very much alive today. Why did he try to fight the police? Couldn't he have just listened and get off the road? Many people, White, Asian, Hispanic, Martians etc are told to get off the road by the police everyday all across America, not just blacks.
Or if he had not grappled with the policeman in his car, or grabbed for his gun, or had just gotten on the ground, like the policeman told him to, instead of charging the policeman, TWICE, he would be alive. In prison, but alive. But this kid was gonna wind up either dead or in prison, and the parents knew it. You think they hadn't told him that themselves?

Old 11-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Blacks are EvERYWHERE in this country.

If a white person with generational history in this country doesn't have black friends or even associates they can talk to about things that interest them, then it's because they don't want to.

Anyway, in real life I don't discuss race issues with white AMERICANS, because they like to play stupid or have selective amnesia about things.

But I will talk about it with foreign born whites or non-white groups like Asians, Hispanics, Samoans, et.

We all share the same "history" of European invasion, brutality, massacres, and colonialism.
It could be what they perceive your end is like as well.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:14 PM

106 posts, read 140,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Camden, NJ?
Yes

Old 11-30-2014, 02:48 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
Default Not really; Wilson was in his car

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Darren Wilson IS 6'4", 210 while Brown was 6'1", 292. Both of these guys could have played positions in the NFL with no problem whatsoever as they were EQUALLY MATCHED.

Wilson wasn't a wilting wallflower being overpowered by some 10 foot tall alien from out of space trying to eat him.
Read Wilsons' statement: try fighting anyone sitting down and not being able to reach your equipment.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:52 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
The running storyline about the events in Ferguson are mostly related to race (i.e., it's been exploited as a primarily racial issue). However, that's not necessarily true.

It's primarily an issue of a lack of police accountability . . . and abuse of power. Period.

"Yes, there is good reason to think that many of these unjustifiable homicides by police across the country are racially motivated. But there is a lot more than that going on here. Our country is simply not paying enough attention to the terrible lack of accountability of police departments and the way it affects all of us—regardless of race or ethnicity. Because if a blond-haired, blue-eyed boy — that was my son, Michael — can be shot in the head under a street light with his hands cuffed behind his back, in front of five eyewitnesses (including his mother and sister), and his father was a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who flew in three wars for his country — that’s me — and I still couldn’t get anything done about it, then Joe the plumber and Javier the roofer aren’t going to be able to do anything about it either."

Read more: What I Did After Police Killed My Son - Michael Bell - POLITICO Magazine
There's always two sides to the story.

The dash cam video is available but doesn't show what happened. Regardless, he'd be alive if he'd done one of two things. 1) Not drove drunk. 2) Not fought with police officers for several minutes after they pulled him over for driving drunk.

That's not necessarily a good reason to shoot somebody, I agree. Simply resisting arrest isn't much of justification for the use of deadly force.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
The running storyline about the events in Ferguson are mostly related to race (i.e., it's been exploited as a primarily racial issue). However, that's not necessarily true.

It's primarily an issue of a lack of police accountability . . . and abuse of power. Period.
I wish if it were true, but it isn't. There is no way to dance around it. Ferguson is about what Sharkton, Obama and Holder (and corrupt Media) made it out to be -- white against black, and racism. Front and center. Not sure why you deny it.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Justice is not getting the result you want, justice is what the law prescribes and if you have a problem with it, change that, the way to do that is provided.

We see this all the time, the result is demanded and then described as justice.

Prior to beyond a reasonable doubt or even reasonable doubt comes probable cause.

The riots started BEFORE, not after the Grand Jury reached a decision. Riots, not protests, there is a big difference.

In case no one noticed, there is a behavior trait that compares the rioters to those protesting. How often have we heard the questions asked about the Muslims and their inability or hesitancy to speak out against terrorists hiding behind Islam?

Where is the outrage from Blacks against those who riot behind these situations? They are so very quiet. Yes, there is the one line statements saying that those who yada yada yada but beyond that, nothing.

How many Blacks, turned in those they witnessed burning and destroying the very community they live in? Do they not care about their own community when others burn and destroy it?

If they don't care, why should anyone else?
Is there anything facing your "community" that you are required to "denounce" or make a statement against?

Old 11-30-2014, 03:22 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Yes it is asinine, and it happens to all of us from all races. Although, yes, thru my years there have been derogatory comments, that's not what I was referring to here. It IS just the "look", and I'm certain others here would agree...and it applies to all races & creeds because, just as you say, racism exists in every race. Anyone being on the receiving end of the type of glare I mentioned, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your comments - I believe the majority of sensible people feel as you do. It's the vocal minorities in every race that garner the most attention - negative attention. Sad, because that's what feeds the Sharptons of society; imo it will be the undoing of any progress we as humans might have made.
No problem and you're welcome. I agree & it's very unfortunate that the vocal minority garners the most attention. I honestly wish there were more people like you who know how to respectfully disagree unlike a large portion of posters here who resort to slandering and name calling to make themselves seem superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events