Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The models had better turn this aruond and show a nice rainstorm soon. It would appear that central New England will see a few showers and some measurable precip this week, but amounts will be paltry,
I foresee some head shaking happening this week especially you up there. Snowflakes to fly through the air with a bitter chill skin feeling(especially towards night and in morning).

850mb layer above us will be cold enough to drop some flakes as far south as CT in my opinion.

KBOX:
WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY...
CLOSED UPPER LOW OPENS INTO A TROUGH AND SWEEPS ACROSS NEW ENGLAND. THE AIRMASS TAKES ON A DEEP MOISTURE FIELD WITH THE COLD POOL INSTABILITY AND SHARP CYCLONIC FLOW ALOFT. EXPECT MAINLY CLOUDY SKIES AND SUPPORT FOR SCATTERED SHOWERS. TEMPERATURES WILL BE COOL ENOUGH SO THAT NIGHTTIME COOLING COULD TRIGGER A PHASE CHANGE TO SNOW IN WESTERN MASS AND SOUTHWEST NH...ALTHOUGH DAYTIME TEMPS SHOULD BE WARM ENOUGH FOR ALL RAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 AM

Snow after Easter hits 70F in Maryland? It is possible - Baltimore Weather | Examiner.com

Snow after Easter hits 70F in Maryland?
The Big Change

A storm that passed south of Baltimore yesterday and is out in the Atlantic now if the primary focus. The arrival of cold air from Canada will catch up to this wound up system at it rides north into Canadian Maritimes. This will force it to retrograde, or move backwards to the west. Then it will pinch off from the jet stream and lock in our cool pattern for much of the week

The freezing temperature line aloft at cloud level is seen with the blue line crossing the mountains. This will bring rain showers that could mix with a few flakes in the northern suburbs, but perhaps some solid wet snow in the mountains to our west.

Watch the Low Pressure in the slide show in eastern Canada near Quebec (north of New England). This is the retrograding Low that will close of and tap into the COLD AIR SUPPLY and pump it southward all week. This will almost definitely provide Lake Effect snow showers for places like Cleveland and near Buffalo. A disturbance on Thursday will tap into the cold air and moisture. Even Pittsburgh will get snow showers, and Ski Wisp in western Maryland’s Deep Creek Lake could get an inch or two. This will be the type of set up to watch developing showers during the day that could cross the mountains and reach the western and northern Baltimore suburbs in the afternoon. At this time I would not plan on stickage, but mixed flakes or solid snow showers are very possible. Something worth watching and something for all this week.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Meanwhile in another part of the US:

Anchorage, Alaska's largest city, breaks seasonal snow record

Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Saw that. Its been persistant all winter too. Have you been following my thread in the weather forum regarding the winter in Western US continuing? Its strange that Europe broke cold records, Alaska, maybe Australia next and we and the U.S have not. Maybe the Earth is getting cold and we're stuck in the final warm period?

Have you seen the latest NAM for PA? lol .30"qpf of snow Wednesday night. (1-2")

Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Surprised?

Upton mentioning should be.

"FOR TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...TEMPERATURES ALOFT AND AT THE SURFACE ARE COLD ENOUGH IN THE FORECAST FOR INTERIOR AREAS TO HAVE SOME MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS. HOWEVER...THIS DEPENDS ON TIMING OF INDIVIDUAL SHORTWAVES AND WHETHER THERE IS PRECIPITATION POTENTIAL AT NIGHT."

Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 AM

Looking at history for Hartford for May just for fun this morning.

2011 on left. 2010 on right. I hope its viewable.

2 quick things that caught my eye was in 2010 we hit 99 degrees. That was the year of the brutal summer heat.

The other is the peak wind speed ironically that day at 55mph. I'm guessing High pressure from the south and a warm front came through.

The other thing is the WELL below temps that same month. Just 2 weeks prior to the 99 degrees we dipped to 30 degrees at night.

Last year seemed more normal until the end of May.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
I’m still pretty worried about this drought:

NWS seems to have once again lowered their % chances of rainfall in the Tri-State area for this week; Today was supposed to see some showers (as of last Friday), now sunny skies and dry weather seems to be on tap right through mid day on Tuesday. Also, the chance of showers has fallen from 30% to now only 20%. Also, what was to be 4 days of showers, is down to just two! (Tue and Wed): So there seems to be no end in sight for the drier and warmer pattern we have been in since mid winter.

NWS New York, NY
Point Forecast: New Haven CT
41.34°N 72.94°W

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a west wind between 18 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 39.

Tuesday: A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Wednesday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Night: A chance of showers, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 34.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 60.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 AM

If my calculations are right, if we dont get any rain for the entire month, we will then need 8" of rain to get back to normal levels.

At this rate I cant even collect any rain water. Gees.

But I do see opportunities on the 15th, 18th, & 20th.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Wow, the negative NAO managed to last a few days.

Now it is predicted to go back into positive territory again. GFS shows the bermuda high out in the Atlantic again in the medium range and long range. I think in May it will be a battle between that feature and the colder air in Canada. New England "might" be able to get some decent precip events by the end of April or May. That is what I am thinking right now.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,413 times
but grass looks green though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut