Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
NWS is now showing rain turning to snow (but not heavy) for Friday........
I wouldn’t worry too much: It looks like only the far northwestern Connecticut, meaning areas west of I-84/west of I-91 should see anything frozen at the start , and even in these areas the changeover will be quick. Tonight around 10:00 PM to midnight, the rain will move in across southern Connecticut/Long Island/NYC (could be a few wet snowflakes in the first hour or so)…then the warm air and southernly flow off the ocean will move in and the rain line will swiftly advance toward the north by 3 or 4:00 AM. The far NW areas of CT will be the last to change to rain, so they could see a slushy 1 to 3 inches up near the Mass state line before the rain arrives.

After that – dry and seasonable cool weather is in store for the Tri-State for the next week or more.

One other interesting note: NWS Bridgeport is now running at +5.4 F. As we approach the last two weeks of the month temps should be closer to normal (maybe high side of normal), but it will be interesting to see if we can finish January 2011 above normal at area NWS stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Glad to see you're enjoying it. I was out on the sand the past weekend when it was in the upper 50’s, and you could feel the heat radiating up from the sand. That sun is getting a little stronger each day.

…and to think I thought I was the only beach bum in the Tri-State area from Dec through March...

I went to the beach again yesterday (Tues.) and it was packed - about 15 people sitting on the sand with their backs against a warm cement wall. I had nice full sun reflected off the water for a couple of hours.

Enjoy!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I wouldn’t worry too much: It looks like only the far northwestern Connecticut, meaning areas west of I-84/west of I-91 should see anything frozen at the start , and even in these areas the changeover will be quick. Tonight around 10:00 PM to midnight, the rain will move in across southern Connecticut/Long Island/NYC (could be a few wet snowflakes in the first hour or so)…then the warm air and southernly flow off the ocean will move in and the rain line will swiftly advance toward the north by 3 or 4:00 AM. The far NW areas of CT will be the last to change to rain, so they could see a slushy 1 to 3 inches up near the Mass state line before the rain arrives.

After that – dry and seasonable cool weather is in store for the Tri-State for the next week or more.

One other interesting note: NWS Bridgeport is now running at +5.4 F. As we approach the last two weeks of the month temps should be closer to normal (maybe high side of normal), but it will be interesting to see if we can finish January 2011 above normal at area NWS stations.
I wasn't talking about tomorrow (for which you are exactly right), this was for during the day Friday as part of a cold frontal passage that (if the current forecast is right) is going to make it cold again this weekend and next week.

But they have kind of retracted; they now think precip will stop Friday morn. before it gets cold enough to be snow except "well N & W".

Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
they have kind of retracted; they now think precip will stop Friday morn. before it gets cold enough to be snow except "well N & W".
Thursdays Storm: Looks like my original thought will be true. All Rain. No worries for anyone in CT. Shoulda stuck with that. Any sleet in northern zones will fall overnight, so by time most of the state wakes up its going to be raw and wet.

Coldest day of the weekend will be Sunday barely getting past freezing mark. Then back to 40s we go. We're all on the sea Saw ride still. lol

Yes, Fridays storm is like I said "moisture starved", and maybe too far north. Snow flurries not out of questions Friday, Sat. Sunday.

I'm drawing out blueprints for my garden. Goes to show I'm getting tired of these swings. lol.

FYI - There have only been 4 years we went from La Nina to Neutral or El Nino since 1950. 3 of those years brought the most snows in February.

Sidenote: Parts of PA and NY could experience a Flash freeze. Temps will drop 20 degrees in a couple hours so anything wet will freeze up Thursday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
#3 clipper comes through that could drop 1-3" for everyone 3-6" north of MA. Its moisture starved for now.
Rain totals for entire period should be over an inch.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Even Sundays clipper goes South of us. LOL! You gotta love it. Accu has some very nice graphs I must admit.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Wanna share a photo album someone keeps uploading photos from Alaska. Its absolutely insane. Houses are being Buried. They have nowhere to put the snow. But one comment made me wanna post this here since power is an issue up here.

I hope the link works.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Nice Satellite Pic.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 AM

Northern Tollland, Hartford, and Litchfield had some snow accumulations. Mostly in the range of 1-3. Anyone have any reports?

Here's the full report for all areas. Warnings for Eastern Albany, New York : Weather Underground

Windsor was reporting light snow over night.
National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Windsor Locks, Bradley International Airport

Winds gusting to 25mph today and tomorrow. Just a raw morning. Low 40s and rain.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 AM

Next Storm..

January 17, 2012 Storm

Rain. lol

January 19, 2012 Storm:
Dandruff snow to... Drizzle and WARM

January 23, 2012 Storm
Light snow to .... DOWNPOURS .. to maybe snow

Tick tock the flip flop continues. Wow. Last 2 storms mentioned are over a week away so lets see if anything changes.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Those Alaska pictures are amazing! Better them than me.

We got nothing but rain last night. It's very windy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut