Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
You are both right. I still think 12" in October is significant in Hartford (heck, it would even be fairly noteworthy in Buffalo or Caribou/Presque Isle, ME!), but they did say 20", the Weather Channel had picked up on it back that. My suspicion was that it was higher than almost all other totals, even some "spotter" totals in higher elevation areas further from the shore.
Agreed…12 inches is significant in late October. My point was more that a lot of the snow reports from BDL (which seemed to have been higher in recent years)…is now being called into question by TV Mets/ even the NWS itself. Non-meteorologists report the snow depths as a favor to NWS Taunton at BDL it seems. Remember, not only did the Weather Channel report the 20 inches…but NWS themselves reported it in their storm summery. Blowing snow itself can lead to quite inaccurate snow measurements, let alone if it’s not being done right.

In any event, the Tri-State area and much of the East Coast will enjoy fine weather with sunshine, dry weather, and temps in the 50’s to even low 60’s this holiday and in the coming 5 days. As far as any real cold air getting into the pattern near the East Coast – there appears to be little in the next 12 to 15 days at a minimum. This weekend I hope to finally get some garden raking done and pull out a shrub that has been in the way for 5 years (lol).

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

In any event, the Tri-State area and much of the East Coast will enjoy fine weather with sunshine, dry weather, and temps in the 50’s to even low 60’s this holiday and in the coming 5 days. As far as any real cold air getting into the pattern near the East Coast – there appears to be little in the next 12 to 15 days at a minimum. This weekend I hope to finally get some garden raking done and pull out a shrub that has been in the way for 5 years (lol).

Cheers.
Yeah, tonight and tomorrow look like the coldest weather we'll have for the foreseeable future.....keep enjoying those 60s, I will

Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Some interesting things coming up.

1. Ridge is breaking down slowly... Goodbye 60s...notice your extended forecasts the highs go from 50s to even 40s next 7 days.

2. Missippi and Alabama could see snow on Tuesday. NWS down there acknowledges this. Nothing to be a travel nightmare for them as the surface is still warm but maybe an inch on colder surfaces.

3. That same system will be rain for us on Wednesday.

4. I continue to watch December 3rd time frame...Models showing some light snow for this area.(Always seems to snow on the 4th)

5. December 7th snowstorm showing up..last GFS has 4-6" for coastal areas.. 3-5" for interior CT... All of this will change since its still waaay long range..

6. Troughs are starting to show up meaning the cold Canadien air will filter down more and last more then 2 days now. No blocking in place (yet) so nothing to hold it in..But this is the slow change... Watch the cold last longer and longer then finally get locked in. (Im thinking after January 10th)

Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Spring time out there...

Look at these temps rise in past couple hours! Danbury 34 to 53 in 2 hours. Nice.

Notice NYC lows..lmao! Gotta love/hate that urban heat.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:27 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Well, if one is not a fan of warm/hot weather and sunshine, they are likely to be miserable in the deep subtropics (like Florida). I’ve lived on and off in Florida several times/have family in Florida/visit in every season. Reading city data over the last few years I’ve learned it’s futile to try to argue one climate type is "better" than another - it's in the eye of the beholder. IMO – Florida has a perfect climate – warm and sunny all year, perfect for boating, fishing, beaches, being outside. I’ll take 365 days of sunny, warm 88F weather over a single day of blustery, overcast, low sun, dead trees, 30 F day anytime. The look of winter is for dead people.

The weather in the Tri-State area is fine for me from April to November. Winters are the issue: Of course it depends on where you are in the Northeast: I would never live north of I-95 in southern/coastal Connecticut/NY/NJ: Winters in VT, NH, MASS, ME, Upstate NY, PA…etc are much worse (with double the snow), than southern CT/NYC/NJ. The winters in my neck of the woods (coastal Connecticut east of New Haven) are touch and go - and that’s what really saves me: Some winters (or winter months) suck like last January, your cooped up in the house, there is snow on the ground, it’s blustery and cold, and that’s tough for me as I’m not a couch potato – I like seeing and doing things. Yet many winters, are not too bad at all – sunny, dry, with little snow, and high temps in the 40’s and 50’s. You can still be outside and actually not have to fight the weather.
The thing is we spent much more time being outside up north than down here as 88 and very humid has few practical outdoor activities either.. I agree on the beach and boating thing as perfect for SoFla but if I just did that I'd be old and very wrinkled by now.. I try to be out of the midday sun 11-4pm during the eight months of stronger sun.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:52 PM

*Near Record Highs Tomorrow*

I'll post the record temps in the morning..gonna be brutal. .. I mean nice. lol

Still waiting for my Trees from Arbor Day foundation but they are still waiting for a hard freeze in North Carolina. Usually they ship end of October/November.

I was tilling soil today.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM

One less thing to do tomorrow...

HARTFORD CT CLIMATE NORMALS FOR 11/27/11
NORMAL RECORD YEAR
47 ......... 64 ......... 1976

THE BRIDGEPORT CT CLIMATE NORMALS FOR 11/27/11
NORMAL RECORD YEAR
49 ......... 62 ......... 1999, 1960

THE ISLIP NY CLIMATE NORMALS FOR 11/27/11
NORMAL RECORD YEAR
49 ......... 63 ......... 1999

THE CENTRAL PARK NY CLIMATE NORMALS FOR 11/27/11
NORMAL RECORD YEAR
50 ......... 72 ......... 1896

THE NEWARK NJ CLIMATE NORMALS FOR 11/27/11
NORMAL RECORD YEAR
50 ......... 67 ......... 1960 & 1959

Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 AM

Oops sorry...hghs in upper 50s today....its tomorrow and Tuesday we will test record highs.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:48 AM

Current Temps. most of the country is in the 30s...some spots in single digits. After these next 2 days of way above normal temps we drop below and at normal for a while..

Old 11-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Just a few hour drive North and people are using the snowblower making trails still since the last storm.. Other than that theres really no snowpack in the U.S aside from the Mountains out west. Wow.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut