Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,946 times

Advertisements

Finally some good weather news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Meanwhile, in another part of the US: National Guard digs Alaska town out from snows

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Amazing. NOAA sent in Hurricane hunters into the system in Pacific. I wonder if the data from those drops have reflected the crazy changes in the models because now SNOW comes into the picture for Friday...and even Wednesday night before the rain changeover.

Things are getting interesting and we still have 11 weeks of winter left. All it took was 4 weeks last year to be memorable..BUT...BUT. I still DO NOT believe we'll get all those blizzards (maybe 1) but it might be little ones(3-6") over and over. The cold air will be the talk of the town because it will feel more drastic coming from Spring like temps.

Tonights Chance of a Trace:

Thursday January 12, 2012 Storm Update:

Early morning Thursday roads could get slippery north of I-84. It may start as Sleet and ice before the changeover.

Then after the storm moisture could still linger bringing another couple inches as the clipper moves north of us and the cold air rushes south.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM

What ever you guys do, dont look at the latest GFS... New Data Just in right now..

It has snow practically everyday for us from Monday 16th to 25th and the big one still in there. Its Long range, very hard to believe!...But understand something, it has not showed this since last year so obviously changes are happening right in front of us..

Sounds like Alaska coming to us with snow for 8 days straight.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,946 times
hopefully its payback for last weekend. much needed payback!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,747 times
We will see hope it will changed back to being spring like weather

Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
One note of caution:

I know the weather-media outlets keep pumping up that some type of change is in the works, and soon it will turn snowy. Outlets like the Weather Channel, AccuWeather, ABC News...etc are losing massive market share with all the mild weather and sunshine - lol. I DO think that after another mild week this week, more typical temps for late January seem to be setting up (after the 15th or so). . So we likely will not see 62 F at Central Park again for awhile, or at least till early March - lol. By this coming Sunday/Monday it will feel more like mid/late January.

However, that being said, the biggest ingredient - BLOCKING IN THE ARCTIC…shows no sign of really developing for the next 3 to 4 weeks - despite what the media might try to say: There has been NO reversal from vortex to a high pressure at the 10mb level in the high arctic – the polar vortex remains as strong as it has been since winter started. So I think the assumption that a snowy pattern will be the result of colder temps the last two weeks of the month is wishful thinking –at least at this point. In fact, after the rain on Wed/Thur…we should again see another long stretch very dry weather.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Thursday January 12, 2012 Storm Update:

I was so confident and it was so easy being a rain storm for everyone. So much has changed.. I'm still not convinced of any changes for entire state.. I'm probably wrong. If true, travel will be a mess Thursday morning. LETS HOPE ITS NOT ICE.

Latest update from NWS Albany which serves Litchfield...

Quote:
MODEL GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED COLDER SO THE EXPECTATION IS FOR MAINLY SNOW TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING WITH A CHANGEOVER TO RAIN IN THE VALLEYS WITH SNOW PERSISTING ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN. AT THIS TIME...THERE IS ALSO A THREAT FOR SOME FREEZING RAIN BASED ON THE CURRENT LOW TRACKS AND THERMAL PROFILES.

NWS Boston (which serves 3 of Connecticuts Northern Counties)

Quote:
UPPER LEVEL LOW CURRENTLY SITUATED OVER TEXAS WILL MOVE TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST THROUGH THE WORK WEEK. THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK. THE 12Z GFS TRENDED TOWARDS THE 00Z ECMWF KEEPING IT SOMEWHAT COOL AND NEAR THE BENCHMARK. HOWEVER THE 12Z ECMWF HAS COME IN A LOT COLDER BUT FATHER INSIDE THE BENCHMARK. WITH THE COOLER AIR...COULD SEE SNOW ALONG THE I-95 CORRIDOR.

*PTYPE... SEEMS WITH THE COOLER TREND IN THE MODELS...MAIN PTYPE WILL BE A MIX OF SNOW AND RAIN. EXPECT SNOW ACROSS THE INTERIOR AND OVER THE HIGH TERRAIN...WHILE RAIN WILL OCCUR EAST OF THE I-95 CORRIDOR. HIGHEST SNOW AMOUNTS WILL BE ACROSS THE NORTHWEST CORRIDOR. IF THIS COOLING TREND CONTINUES...WE COULD SEE AN INCREASE IN SNOW AMOUNTS.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
Most of the forecasts tonight look like the storm on Thur will be a rain event for most of the Tri-State area. I think anything frozon will stay north and west of the Tri-State.

I think after that, we should stay quite dry for another 5 to 7 days.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,747 times
This winter really saving a lot of money lol thanfully this is pay back to snow lovers loool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut