Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 07:20 PM

512 posts, read 444,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know that part of Florida very very well. My family has lived there for decades. It’s pretty “Deep South” and quite frankly not to my liking at all.

Did you see my post on the MANY fees they charge at The Villages? The Infrastructure Fee is tens of thousands of dollars. There’s separate fees for the HOA, amenities complex, usage of the trails, lawn sprinklers, among others. It adds hundreds if not thousands to live there. Not nearly as inexpensive as people think. Jay
I’m with you, I don’t like that part of FL either. My point is that beauty is in the eyes of beholder and not everyone wants to move to the beach areas. I’m not a fan of FL overall, I would chose SC over FL.

I did not see your post regarding all the fees at the Villages. I was under the impression that you just pay around $200 per month for the HOA and that covers everything, so that’s very surprising to hear about the additional fees. That’s one thing people have to take into account when moving south. If one moves into a community with HOA fees, it may offset any significant savings. At the same time, it may be worth it if you get many amenities, like at the Sun City communities, for example. I’d rather pay for those amenities than taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 02:04 AM

21,658 posts, read 31,293,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I’m with you, I don’t like that part of FL either. My point is that beauty is in the eyes of beholder and not everyone wants to move to the beach areas. I’m not a fan of FL overall, I would chose SC over FL.

I did not see your post regarding all the fees at the Villages. I was under the impression that you just pay around $200 per month for the HOA and that covers everything, so that’s very surprising to hear about the additional fees. That’s one thing people have to take into account when moving south. If one moves into a community with HOA fees, it may offset any significant savings. At the same time, it may be worth it if you get many amenities, like at the Sun City communities, for example. I’d rather pay for those amenities than taxes.
Most people from the Northeast don’t settle in central and northern Florida. They mostly end up between Jupiter and Miami on the east coast, or Tampa to Naples on the west coast. IMO, those areas (especially the megalopolis that is Jupiter to Miami) has everything CT offers, and so much more (except cold weather activities and hiking).

Old 03-15-2022, 07:16 AM

6,980 posts, read 3,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most people from the Northeast don’t settle in central and northern Florida. They mostly end up between Jupiter and Miami on the east coast, or Tampa to Naples on the west coast. IMO, those areas (especially the megalopolis that is Jupiter to Miami) has everything CT offers, and so much more (except cold weather activities and hiking).
That's Florida That Counts and it's more expensive than CT. All of it is more expensive than all of CT in it's entirety, soup to nuts, top to bottom. You do save on income tax if you're still making the big bucks full time. It's cheaper to stay in CT for retirement even with prop taxes and if you can brave the harsh and log winters.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:11 PM

35,012 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
cant post image?

The 3380 is at the top, but below it says that the monthly taxes are 455, which equals 5460/yr. That second figure could actually be accurate, as there is no 2021 assessment amt listed.

Cheers.
That doesn’t mean that’s the taxes. It’s been my experience that the amount listed in the Taxes section is the amount of taxes paid. I don’t know where that other number comes from. Jay

Old 03-21-2022, 07:29 PM

10,357 posts, read 6,908,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
......which is the biggest reason I am moving south, even with inflated values at this time, still huge savings in property tax
Smart.

Regardless if the property is "paid-off" or not, the prop taxes still must be paid. This may become a problem, for those that end up of SS or other limited resources during retirement.

(It's a MAJOR reason I'm staying at the beach...)

Old 03-21-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Smart.

Regardless if the property is "paid-off" or not, the prop taxes still must be paid. This may become a problem, for those that end up of SS or other limited resources during retirement.

(It's a MAJOR reason I'm staying at the beach...)
Encinitas?

It's not a "may become a problem". CT property taxes "are" a problem for those on limited fixed in FT retirement. Moving to the interior south is a must. Not the coast, that's out of budget now, the interior, or Florida That Doesn't Count.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times
Default CT Property Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Encinitas?

It's not a "may become a problem". CT property taxes "are" a problem for those on limited fixed in FT retirement. Moving to the interior south is a must. Not the coast, that's out of budget now, the interior, or Florida That Doesn't Count.
It is a problem when your Mortage payment is almost equal to your property taxes. Just heard on NPR that that CT is facing a shortage of Doctors because it is difficult to convince new graduates to relocate to the state due to the high cost of living.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:02 PM

487 posts, read 538,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odasani View Post
It is a problem when your Mortage payment is almost equal to your property taxes. Just heard on NPR that that CT is facing a shortage of Doctors because it is difficult to convince new graduates to relocate to the state due to the high cost of living.
20% down and Property Tax and Insurance is almost 50% of my PITI payment.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
It is a problem when your Mortage payment is almost equal to your property taxes.
In retirement on fixed income with limited savings? most definitely, absolutely, no question. That cannot be disputed.
Dual income fulltime working middle class might make out ok if it's within the 25-30% parameter as a % of take home. Don't worry about the rich down in southern FFC, they'll be fine either way, they might not like it, but they'll be fine.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:49 PM

35,012 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
I’m not sure who said that but it is completely false. Our best friends two sons are young doctors (one a resident, the other about to receive his white coat) and they say that the competition to locate in Connecticut is among the highest there is. Connecticut hospitals pay better than other states to compensate for its higher cost of living so the cost of living is pretty much mute. I’d also like to point out that Connecticut is No. 1 for disposable income even when taxes are included. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut