Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 07:39 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,894,868 times

Advertisements

https://www.newhavenct.gov/gov/depts...ble%20property.

Mill Rate
The mill rate for the 2020 Grand List is 43.88. A mill rate of one mill means that owners of real, personal and motor vehicle property are taxed at a rate of $1 on every $1,000 of assessed taxable property. Therefore, a property assessed at $10,000. will pay a tax of $438.80.

Is this true?

New Haven has a mill rate of 43.88$. So that equates to 4.388%. Levied at 70% of its assessed value leaves you with a property tax rate of 3.07%. That's absurd if this is really the case. Am I missing something?

Waterbury has a mill rate of $60.12... 4.2% Property tax...., Hartford $74.58 (but Hartford levies at 35% of the assessed value) 2.6% property tax.

Please tell me I am missing something here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 08:24 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,376,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://www.newhavenct.gov/gov/depts...ble%20property.

Mill Rate
The mill rate for the 2020 Grand List is 43.88. A mill rate of one mill means that owners of real, personal and motor vehicle property are taxed at a rate of $1 on every $1,000 of assessed taxable property. Therefore, a property assessed at $10,000. will pay a tax of $438.80.

Is this true?

New Haven has a mill rate of 43.88$. So that equates to 4.388%. Levied at 70% of its assessed value leaves you with a property tax rate of 3.07%. That's absurd if this is really the case. Am I missing something?

Waterbury has a mill rate of $60.12... 4.2% Property tax...., Hartford $74.58 (but Hartford levies at 35% of the assessed value) 2.6% property tax.

Please tell me I am missing something here.
First there is the APRAISED VALUE* of a property.

The ASSESED value is 70% of the appraised value.

To make this easier let's say a New Haven house/condo is APPRAISED* at $100,000. Your assessed value would be $70,000. So the $70,000 assessed value is used when figuring out the taxes.

*The full value.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:35 AM

I messed up the verbiage (appraised vs assessed) in my last post but the point remains the same. I'm talking about the effective tax rate.

If the mills are $43.88 per $1,000 in New Haven like I said then....$30.72. .... your effective tax rate is 3.07% Yes? That's all I really want to know.

Why are tax questions hard to get straight answers to, generally? Is it really that variable and/or complex via the system of write-offs, loopholes etc. that we as a society shy away from the straight answer? I'm asking genuinely, I don't pay property tax. One reason I don't is that I dont like the "mystique" around mortgages and tax law, or the variability and that's before I get to the responsibility and being wed to a property in a locale I have no control over.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:52 AM

856 posts, read 516,909 times
Let me just give a concrete example.

I bought my house in August 2020 for $365k. My current assessed value is $226K. My annual property tax bill is $6500. Mil rate in my town is 28.85. When they reassess, it will go up. The appraised value is much higher now. It's an 1850 sq ft house on 1.5 acres. Breaks down to $3.6 per sq ft per year.

With a SALT cap at $10,000, I don't even itemize my deductions. No big write offs or loopholes for me.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:53 AM

6,999 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Levied at 70% of its assessed value leaves you with a property tax rate of 3.07%.
That's the basics, you had the right verbiage, though in real life it never really works at that way mathematically for every home. You have to look at them individually. You see homes assessed for the same amount but with different prop tax rates, in the same town.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:26 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,376,499 times
Quote:
I messed up the verbiage (appraised vs assessed) in my last post but the point remains the same. I'm talking about the effective tax rate.

If the mills are $43.88 per $1,000 in New Haven like I said then....$30.72. .... your effective tax rate is 3.07% Yes? That's all I really want to know.

Why are tax questions hard to get straight answers to, generally? Is it really that variable and/or complex via the system of write-offs, loopholes etc. that we as a society shy away from the straight answer? I'm asking genuinely, I don't pay property tax. One reason I don't is that I dont like the "mystique" around mortgages and tax law, or the variability and that's before I get to the responsibility and being wed to a property in a locale I have no control over.
You got it.

"being wed to a property in a locale I have no control over"

You are correct. If you buy a property in one of CT's very Democratic cities there is no telling how high your taxes can go. It's a shame CT's poorest people have that heavy tax burden on them.....but that is what they vote for.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
That's the basics, you had the right verbiage, though in real life it never really works at that way mathematically for every home. You have to look at them individually. You see homes assessed for the same amount but with different prop tax rates, in the same town.
Thanks, I figured there are little bits of nuance that cause variable things. WRT's house should be assessed at 255k (70% of 362k) but he's got it at 226k-I see why he says it will go up.

So It would be fair to say that on AVERAGE a property tax bill in New Haven is about 3.07% of the property's appraised value, and 4.38% of the assessed value (70% of the appraised value).

That is awfully high my goodness. In Boston, you're looking at .77% property tax. I knew taxes were very high in CT but that's just crazy now wonder the property values are so low. 6500 tax per annum and only going up (probably siginificantly) on a 362k home? Ehhh

Old 03-08-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You got it.

"being wed to a property in a locale I have no control over"

You are correct. If you buy a property in one of CT's very Democratic cities there is no telling how high your taxes can go. It's a shame CT's poorest people have that heavy tax burden on them.....but that is what they vote for.
CT's poorest don't pay property taxes because they don't own homes. They pay subsidized rents.
I'd venture to say a good majority of homes in those cities are investor owned by those who can afford to buy the state's cheapest homes. Sometimes multiples.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
CT's poorest don't pay property taxes because they don't own homes. They pay subsidized rents.
I'd venture to say a good majority of homes in those cities are investor owned by those who can afford to buy the state's cheapest homes. Sometimes multiples.
But if you're a middle-class family owning in East Rock 3.07% of your property's appraised value every year is kinda bonkers. I guess that explains why there are not many of them- because driving around New Haven it looks like it should have more of an owner-occupied middle class. The tax has to be forcing some SFHs to Section 8 or something.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I figured there are little bits of nuance that cause variable things. WRT's house should be assessed at 255k (70% of 362k) but he's got it at 226k-I see why he says it will go up.

So It would be fair to say that on AVERAGE a property tax bill in New Haven is about 3.07% of the property's appraised value, and 4.38% of the assessed value (70% of the appraised value).

That is awfully high my goodness. In Boston, you're looking at .77% property tax. I knew taxes were very high in CT but that's just crazy now wonder the property values are so low. 6500 tax per annum and only going up (probably siginificantly) on a 362k home? Ehhh
Boston is much more expensive than CT majors. You know that.
WRT is in a Bronze Plate town with Gold Plate schools. 6500 on a 362 sounds about right and a tremendous deal for CT Gold Plate school district. Homes don't cost nearly that much in the majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut