Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 02:22 PM

35,029 posts, read 57,124,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I've never seen a bigger Booster of anywhere than JayCT for CT. You gotta run for office, dude.
I just think our state gets a lot of unjust criticism that is not really deserved and if you look at the facts, our state is really incredible. Why can residents of a state like Texas or Massachusetts brag about their state but Connecticut can’t?

I think it also has to do with the media always reporting the negatives of the state but fails to note the positive. The worst has to be that our Gross Domestic Product isn’t growing as much as other states. They conveniently forget to mention our per capita GDP is among the very highest in the country already so the growth rate means little. Then again where’s the clickbait in that? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 07:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,843,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I just think our state gets a lot of unjust criticism that is not really deserved and if you look at the facts, our state is really incredible. Why can residents of a state like Texas or Massachusetts brag about their state but Connecticut can’t?

I think it also has to do with the media always reporting the negatives of the state but fails to note the positive. The worst has to be that our Gross Domestic Product isn’t growing as much as other states. They conveniently forget to mention our per capita GDP is among the very highest in the country already so the growth rate means little. Then again where’s the clickbait in that? Jay
Per capita gdp based on the defense industry means very little. A long long time ago I worked collection's. On an individual basis we'd bring in thousands, maybe tens per month easily. My highest account was about 100K. Another position I signed checks for over a million. It didn't mean I made six to seven figures. If someone brags about working for a Fortune 500 company it might sound good... Until you see they are a cashier at Dollar General! Just like I know a guy that says he worked for Apple.. He did.. At the Apple store!

It isn't just the GDP but the population growth. Like it or not but high incomes don't always make up for the cash flow of volume based businesses. Texas has sea ports, beaches and oil. Mass has the largest city in the region and a variety of smaller cities and historic preservation. CT is propped up with government funding. Academia and military for the most part. Sure you have your finance and insurance jobs but with covid do it can be pretty much performed anywhere. Much of what is in Connecticut is important. Did you read the farmers market article in Hartford in the Courant? On average there is only three days of locally-produced produce on the shelves. I live in Springfield I would actually have access to Moore farms in Connecticut simply because of the fact that there's more people in Springfield than entire counties in Eastern Connecticut. One of the reasons why the farmers market does not do as well as because it's not as centralized it if you have these little fiefdom market here and there they're not going to sell as much so it only makes sense that they'd go to where there's more people.

It's like the old saying that I rather have 3% of 100 people versus 100% out of 3 people because in the long-term that's 3% is going to be more reliable. Sometimes you have to see how the other half lives. Go to Tolland and Windham County and try to tell me that it's the same as Fairfield County. I've talked to people that pretty much argue that Fairfield County pretty much is New York just like Berkshire County Massachusetts and just like northern Maine is practically Canada.

Connecticut can do well that's going to have to do more to attract people as a form of development it needs the population to increase to validate more Capital expenditures going Beyond just Apartments

Old 03-24-2022, 07:18 AM

810 posts, read 474,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Per capita gdp based on the defense industry means very little. A long long time ago I worked collection's. On an individual basis we'd bring in thousands, maybe tens per month easily. My highest account was about 100K. Another position I signed checks for over a million. It didn't mean I made six to seven figures. If someone brags about working for a Fortune 500 company it might sound good... Until you see they are a cashier at Dollar General! Just like I know a guy that says he worked for Apple.. He did.. At the Apple store!

It isn't just the GDP but the population growth. Like it or not but high incomes don't always make up for the cash flow of volume based businesses. Texas has sea ports, beaches and oil. Mass has the largest city in the region and a variety of smaller cities and historic preservation. CT is propped up with government funding. Academia and military for the most part. Sure you have your finance and insurance jobs but with covid do it can be pretty much performed anywhere. Much of what is in Connecticut is important. Did you read the farmers market article in Hartford in the Courant? On average there is only three days of locally-produced produce on the shelves. I live in Springfield I would actually have access to Moore farms in Connecticut simply because of the fact that there's more people in Springfield than entire counties in Eastern Connecticut. One of the reasons why the farmers market does not do as well as because it's not as centralized it if you have these little fiefdom market here and there they're not going to sell as much so it only makes sense that they'd go to where there's more people.

It's like the old saying that I rather have 3% of 100 people versus 100% out of 3 people because in the long-term that's 3% is going to be more reliable. Sometimes you have to see how the other half lives. Go to Tolland and Windham County and try to tell me that it's the same as Fairfield County. I've talked to people that pretty much argue that Fairfield County pretty much is New York just like Berkshire County Massachusetts and just like northern Maine is practically Canada.

Connecticut can do well that's going to have to do more to attract people as a form of development it needs the population to increase to validate more Capital expenditures going Beyond just Apartments
I think you're missing Jay's point that there are lot of good things happening in Connecticut that rightfully should be amplified. The post above is just a repeat of all the points we've seen over and over again on this forum. The state has made tremendous progress even during this pandemic. We should be very proud of that without being obnoxious or neurotic as CT residents.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:30 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Its not bragging. If you go to the MA or TX forum, constructive criticism by residents is pretty commonplace.

But one big thing you do that makes your posts skew really biased is that you outwardly hate other states like MA and NY, especially when brought up in comparisons. It's almost like an inferior complex. We all just want to make CT better. We all love CT here, that's why we are here. I feel your posts are mostly great but don't put down other states in making a point because it turns into :/

But no in all reality.. you should run for a CT position. The current leaders obviously don't care. I would run for a seat in CT.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:48 AM

810 posts, read 474,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its not bragging. If you go to the MA or TX forum, constructive criticism by residents is pretty commonplace.

But one big thing you do that makes your posts skew really biased is that you outwardly hate other states like MA and NY, especially when brought up in comparisons. It's almost like an inferior complex. We all just want to make CT better. We all love CT here, that's why we are here. I feel your posts are mostly great but don't put down other states in making a point because it turns into :/

But no in all reality.. you should run for a CT position. The current leaders obviously don't care. I would run for a seat in CT.
I'm sorry, but the CT thread has been astroturfed by non-residents and folks from out of state for years, with MA being a large component of that to satiate its need to be reassured of its #1 status in New England (even subconsciously at times). CT is not MA. MA is doing some good things, CT is as well. It always turns into a CT should be like MA thing every single time (even in this thread) - which is so tired at this point.

Also - Gov. Lamont has been an excellent booster for the state, along with Rep DeLauro (who is now in a powerful position) and Sen. Murphy. Blumenthal needs to step up this game, but that isn't his personality.

Some pushback at times is warranted. Not sure about the hateful part, but I generally find those of us who live in CT to be balanced posters (for example, I don't like our current property tax reliant structure for local revenue, but I do have to admit that local services, even in New Haven, are decent here compared to the four other states I've lived in for a while).

Old 03-24-2022, 08:13 AM

1,241 posts, read 907,484 times
Most of the posts are balanced. Then you have the anecdotal posts by people who know someone is every state in the Union and every profession ever discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post

Some pushback at times is warranted. Not sure about the hateful part, but I generally find those of us who live in CT to be balanced posters (for example, I don't like our current property tax reliant structure for local revenue, but I do have to admit that local services, even in New Haven, are decent here compared to the four other states I've lived in for a while).

Old 03-24-2022, 09:13 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I'm sorry, but the CT thread has been astroturfed by non-residents and folks from out of state for years, with MA being a large component of that to satiate its need to be reassured of its #1 status in New England (even subconsciously at times). CT is not MA. MA is doing some good things, CT is as well. It always turns into a CT should be like MA thing every single time (even in this thread) - which is so tired at this point.

Also - Gov. Lamont has been an excellent booster for the state, along with Rep DeLauro (who is now in a powerful position) and Sen. Murphy. Blumenthal needs to step up this game, but that isn't his personality.

Absolutely, I do 90% agree. The general sentiment I get from the CT thread from a lot of out of staters is "Away from NY into CT! But lets make CT better, it sucks kindof! Be like MA". Which is annoying, yes. Pushback is always warranted after time. USUALLY, those posters (Including myself, i admit...) are exagerrated.

However, outward constant bashing will just keep the cycle of the MA/NY wanters to keep going. Thats my point.

There's a reason why people move to CT from NY and MA. They wouldn't be here if there wasn't. I just think a lot of people (Including myself) love CT so much that we want to see change where change needs to come (ie, the tax structure). In my opinion, CT is a great state but can change in a few places to make it top.. to make it better than MA. It has so much potential compared to where I also live now... New Jersey. You dont see people on NJ NY PA threads with so many out of staters with so much love towards a state like you do in CT. Just going to throw that out there... CT gets a loooot of love.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:14 AM

6,605 posts, read 5,008,846 times
[quote=mdovell;63139887 Go to Tolland and Windham County and try to tell me that it's the same as Fairfield County. I've talked to people that pretty much argue that Fairfield County pretty much is New York just like Berkshire County Massachusetts and just like northern Maine is practically Canada.[/QUOTE]

Thank god the northeastern part of CT is nothing like FFC! Do you feel all of CT should identify with FFC and thereby NY? I don't.

(and yes, northern ME is pretty much Canada)

Old 03-24-2022, 11:40 AM

856 posts, read 516,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thank god the northeastern part of CT is nothing like FFC! Do you feel all of CT should identify with FFC and thereby NY? I don't.

Lol...well...thank god the rest of the state isn't like northeastern CT But your bigger point stands - FFC is a different animal to the rest of the state. Different advantages and different downsides.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 3,805,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Lol...well...thank god the rest of the state isn't like northeastern CT But your bigger point stands - FFC is a different animal to the rest of the state. Different advantages and different downsides.
Fairfield County up past Danbury is another world compared to THE FAIRIFELD COUNTY down below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut