Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 10:09 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is a 3% raise which despite what you or others think is not unreasonable. Raises have been pretty minimal for people at these levels for years. I know a couple of very talented people who work at the state who did not accept a promotion because the pay level and risk of being outside union protection are not worth it. Jay
It is unreasonable in light of ongoing budget deficits, higher taxes and cuts to services. Everyone was asked to sacrifice (again) in the most recent budget except for state employees. Now they get a raise?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Fairfield County has largest income gap in the nation between rich and poor it getting worst.

10 Cities With The Widest Gap Between The Rich And Poor

Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
It is unreasonable in light of ongoing budget deficits, higher taxes and cuts to services. Everyone was asked to sacrifice (again) in the most recent budget except for state employees. Now they get a raise?
Has there EVER been a time when there has not been concerns with deficits, higher taxes and cuts to services??? Not in my lifetime. Even when the state had surpluses, there were concerns with deficits and talks that prevented raises. It has been a while since these people have received raises so it is not unfair to give it to them. Jay

Old 07-13-2015, 12:02 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Quote:
Has there EVER been a time when there has not been concerns with deficits, higher taxes and cuts to services??? Not in my lifetime. Even when the state had surpluses, there were concerns with deficits and talks that prevented raises. It has been a while since these people have received raises so it is not unfair to give it to them. Jay
What do you mean "these people?" lol

If the State was a business people would be fired! Running a $115 million deficit with a forecast of a $1.3 Billion deficit next year and so we'll give managers raises.

I work with State Managers and they do very well. They work till 3:30 on the DOT everyday and get a pension plus MANY MANY days off for office work aka Golf. Low low insurance cost too. Go on CTSunlight and see what they make.

I don't blame the workers because honestly if I could, I'd work for the State in a heart beat. But with all the tax increases and businesses cutting jobs, giving State managers raises leaves a bad taste in peoples mouth.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

If the State was a business people would be fired! Running a $115 million deficit with a forecast of a $1.3 Billion deficit next year and so we'll give managers raises.

I work with State Managers and they do very well. They work till 3:30 on the DOT everyday and get a pension plus MANY MANY days off for office work aka Golf. Low low insurance cost too. Go on CTSunlight and see what they make.

I don't blame the workers because honestly if I could, I'd work for the State in a heart beat. But with all the tax increases and businesses cutting jobs, giving State managers raises leaves a bad taste in peoples mouth.
If you take the information given in the article you will see that "these people" are making on average just under $80,000 per year. The average raise is about $2,400 per year which is not a lot considering they have not received a raise in a couple of year (a fact that the article conveniently forgets to mention). You are correct that they get a number of days off and a pension but their benefits have been increasingly reduced over the years including paying more for medical and paying a portion of their pension. They leave at 3:30 because they go in earlier. Still I believe they work 35 hours per week which is in line with other government jobs. Like I said, I know talented people who refused to become a manager because it is not worth it. If the state is to retain its talent, it needs to keep up with salaries just like any business. Jay

Old 07-13-2015, 04:48 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,746 times
Quote:
If you take the information given in the article you will see that "these people" are making on average just under $80,000 per year. The average raise is about $2,400 per year which is not a lot considering they have not received a raise in a couple of year (a fact that the article conveniently forgets to mention). You are correct that they get a number of days off and a pension but their benefits have been increasingly reduced over the years including paying more for medical and paying a portion of their pension. They leave at 3:30 because they go in earlier. Still I believe they work 35 hours per week which is in line with other government jobs. Like I said, I know talented people who refused to become a manager because it is not worth it. If the state is to retain its talent, it needs to keep up with salaries just like any business. Jay
80,000 is much higher than the private sector workers are making in CT

The state workers also get pensions and richer health care coverage

Old 07-13-2015, 04:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
80,000 is much higher than the private sector workers are making in CT

The state workers also get pensions and richer health care coverage
In equivalent private sector positions? I don't think so.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

IMO Govt is not a business and shouldn't be run as one. Govt faces issues that are far more dynamic than any business and Govt's are not looking to turn a profit. They operate for the benefit of society as a whole.

There are also many economic theories in favor of "deficient spending" & "non deficient spending" I won't bore you with that stuff though as they can be easily looked up.

I'd like to point out though that "state managers" are not members of any unions and can not join any Govt unions. I think that is why some employees turn down promotions that would put them into management.

I think there are exceptions to this such as police and fire. They have their own unions I believe.

You can look up some retirement scenarios here and the different tiers the state has. The scenarios are not as attractive as they once were for new employees. So the state has made some changes.

Retiree Resources

Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I'd like to point out though that "state managers" are not members of any unions and can not join any Govt unions.
Wrong. A relative managed on average ten employees (state of Ct) while still being a member of the union. It would have taken a position 2 levels up to disqualify him from being in the union.

Now managed is a loose term, as he readily admitted bad employees were just about impossible to get rid of..due to the union.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers;40398603[B
]IMO Govt is not a business and shouldn't be run as one. Govt faces issues that are far more dynamic than any business and Govt's are not looking to turn a profit. They operate for the benefit of society as a whole.

There are also many economic theories in favor of "deficient spending" & "non deficient spending" I won't bore you with that stuff though as they can be easily looked up.[/b]

I'd like to point out though that "state managers" are not members of any unions and can not join any Govt unions. I think that is why some employees turn down promotions that would put them into management.

I think there are exceptions to this such as police and fire. They have their own unions I believe.

You can look up some retirement scenarios here and the different tiers the state has. The scenarios are not as attractive as they once were for new employees. So the state has made some changes.

Retiree Resources
Perhaps at the federal level. But CT, like most states, is required to balance its budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut