Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,946,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

Nope this new list post from from Yahoo yesterday 2014 List.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Nope this new list post from from Yahoo yesterday 2014 List.
Read the headline. Data is from Kiplinger.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,905 times
Do we really have to discuss every single time the state appears in any list anywhere?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Do we really have to discuss every single time the state appears in any list anywhere?
I think we should put it one thread anything with CT lists

Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
This.

And on top of it, the title of the thread is misleading. It leads one to believe CT is tax-friendly, when we all know that's not the case.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Agreed. Ct is pathetic for the amount of taxes we pay. At least cali has an incredible amount of high tech jobs and a ridiculously prestigious state university system.NY is misleading since most of the population live in NYC metro which makes CT look like a steal by comparison . If ct got rid of its vehicle tax and cut the property taxes in half it wouldn't be such a crappy place. Unfortunately neither will ever happen because ct likes to punish those who work hard and invest in their future.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
How are we "tax-friendly"? lol

Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Agreed. Ct is pathetic for the amount of taxes we pay. At least cali has an incredible amount of high tech jobs and a ridiculously prestigious state university system.NY is misleading since most of the population live in NYC metro which makes CT look like a steal by comparison . If ct got rid of its vehicle tax and cut the property taxes in half it wouldn't be such a crappy place. Unfortunately neither will ever happen because ct likes to punish those who work hard and invest in their future.
"pathetic" "crappy"

Not really words I'd use to describe one of the most affluent states in the country, with the highest human development index in the nation - and among the top in the world.

Leave already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
LOL, that's what I was thinking.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The OP misread the article. Right above the list is a link to the most tax friendly states so I believe they thought that this was a list of the most tax friendly. Jay

Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
"pathetic" "crappy"

Not really words I'd use to describe one of the most affluent states in the country, with the highest human development index in the nation - and among the top in the world.

Leave already.
Yes, pathetic. I live in a town that has 35,000 residents. Lets say the average is $5,500 in property taxes...about 200,000,000 (200 million) dollars. Avg vehicle tax around 400...15 mil. Then the state of CT gave my town about 25mil...That's 240 MILLION dollars for ONE town. The schools are decent but not great. The roads suck by most standards. I pay for my own garbage pick up and water. Our fire fighters are volunteers. Crime index is around 50 (half the towns in the US are safer, half are less safe). snow removal is mediocre. Salaries in the area are okay, but not nearly enough to compensate COL.

Sounds pretty average, no? Can you imagine what most other towns in other states in the US could do with 240million dollars? The town would not be "average", it would be effing fantastic.

Human Development Index, lol. Look at that, you found a list to tote around (because CT is on top?). HDI only measures 3 primary conditions, one of which is education. Not sure about you, but I could care less if the manager at Stop and Shop has a BA in 14th century literature or if the night shift supervisor at Abercrombie and Fitch has a degree in anthropology.Not to mention the Van Wilder's actually raise the value since they "have more years in school". There are also many other debatable criticisms of HDI that vary in relevance to the individual discussing it.

"HDI" might be a pretty combination of words that gives you warm fuzzies, but it doesn't cost that much to get the same quality in other places. Maybe you don't get it at a "statewide level" elsewhere, but that's because CT is very small and very rich, which brings me to the next measured variable: Per capita income. CT has a lot of rich people and not a lot of rural, low-population areas. When you combine this with the fact that a good chunk of CT is really just a suburb of NYC it's really not all that impressive. Most importantly, HDI does not measure inequality or COL. Good luck trying to raise a family in a decent town on a 50k income in CT. Very doable elsewhere.

Then, if your lucky enough to have the luxury of saving enough to retire and you die in CT, well....the scumbags take more from you still. This brings us to the last dimension of HDI: Life expectancy. You can keep your liberal Obamacare BS. I have insurance. I worked my azz off in college studying instead of partying, running clubs instead of playing video games, doing research and volunteering instead of going on spring break, working to offset the costs instead of taking handouts so that I could get a good job that will pay for my healthcare, not so that I can have more of my hard earned dollars taken away to reward those who put in less effort than myself. I didn't work that hard in school so that I could pay for some crackhead in New Haven to get prescription painkillers for his "tooth ache".

Thanks for your relocation advise there chief. We know exactly where we want to go and are working on making it a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut