Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
"pathetic" "crappy"

Not really words I'd use to describe one of the most affluent states in the country, with the highest human development index in the nation - and among the top in the world.

Leave already.

LOL, that's what I was thinking.
I think we should just cut taxes and make this state better for everyone

Don't leave just vote for change

Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Yes, pathetic. I live in a town that has 35,000 residents. Lets say the average is $5,500 in property taxes...about 200,000,000 (200 million) dollars. Avg vehicle tax around 400...15 mil. Then the state of CT gave my town about 25mil...That's 240 MILLION dollars for ONE town. The schools are decent but not great. The roads suck by most standards. I pay for my own garbage pick up and water. Our fire fighters are volunteers. Crime index is around 50 (half the towns in the US are safer, half are less safe). snow removal is mediocre. Salaries in the area are okay, but not nearly enough to compensate COL.

Sounds pretty average, no? Can you imagine what most other towns in other states in the US could do with 240million dollars? The town would not be "average", it would be effing fantastic.

Human Development Index, lol. Look at that, you found a list to tote around (because CT is on top?). HDI only measures 3 primary conditions, one of which is education. Not sure about you, but I could care less if the manager at Stop and Shop has a BA in 14th century literature or if the night shift supervisor at Abercrombie and Fitch has a degree in anthropology.Not to mention the Van Wilder's actually raise the value since they "have more years in school". There are also many other debatable criticisms of HDI that vary in relevance to the individual discussing it.

"HDI" might be a pretty combination of words that gives you warm fuzzies, but it doesn't cost that much to get the same quality in other places. Maybe you don't get it at a "statewide level" elsewhere, but that's because CT is very small and very rich, which brings me to the next measured variable: Per capita income. CT has a lot of rich people and not a lot of rural, low-population areas. When you combine this with the fact that a good chunk of CT is really just a suburb of NYC it's really not all that impressive. Most importantly, HDI does not measure inequality or COL. Good luck trying to raise a family in a decent town on a 50k income in CT. Very doable elsewhere.

Then, if your lucky enough to have the luxury of saving enough to retire and you die in CT, well....the scumbags take more from you still. This brings us to the last dimension of HDI: Life expectancy. You can keep your liberal Obamacare BS. I have insurance. I worked my azz off in college studying instead of partying, running clubs instead of playing video games, doing research and volunteering instead of going on spring break, working to offset the costs instead of taking handouts so that I could get a good job that will pay for my healthcare, not so that I can have more of my hard earned dollars taken away to reward those who put in less effort than myself. I didn't work that hard in school so that I could pay for some crackhead in New Haven to get prescription painkillers for his "tooth ache".

Thanks for your relocation advise there chief. We know exactly where we want to go and are working on making it a reality.
So much crap in this post I could fertilize my lawn every week for a year. Let's just start with your math skills suck. Your town has 35000 households or individuals. My guess is the latter so 200mm is off by a factor of 3-4x.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Yes, pathetic. I live in a town that has 35,000 residents. Lets say the average is $5,500 in property taxes...about 200,000,000 (200 million) dollars. Avg vehicle tax around 400...15 mil. Then the state of CT gave my town about 25mil...That's 240 MILLION dollars for ONE town. The schools are decent but not great. The roads suck by most standards. I pay for my own garbage pick up and water. Our fire fighters are volunteers. Crime index is around 50 (half the towns in the US are safer, half are less safe). snow removal is mediocre. Salaries in the area are okay, but not nearly enough to compensate COL.

Sounds pretty average, no? Can you imagine what most other towns in other states in the US could do with 240million dollars? The town would not be "average", it would be effing fantastic.

Human Development Index, lol. Look at that, you found a list to tote around (because CT is on top?). HDI only measures 3 primary conditions, one of which is education. Not sure about you, but I could care less if the manager at Stop and Shop has a BA in 14th century literature or if the night shift supervisor at Abercrombie and Fitch has a degree in anthropology.Not to mention the Van Wilder's actually raise the value since they "have more years in school". There are also many other debatable criticisms of HDI that vary in relevance to the individual discussing it.

"HDI" might be a pretty combination of words that gives you warm fuzzies, but it doesn't cost that much to get the same quality in other places. Maybe you don't get it at a "statewide level" elsewhere, but that's because CT is very small and very rich, which brings me to the next measured variable: Per capita income. CT has a lot of rich people and not a lot of rural, low-population areas. When you combine this with the fact that a good chunk of CT is really just a suburb of NYC it's really not all that impressive. Most importantly, HDI does not measure inequality or COL. Good luck trying to raise a family in a decent town on a 50k income in CT. Very doable elsewhere.

Then, if your lucky enough to have the luxury of saving enough to retire and you die in CT, well....the scumbags take more from you still. This brings us to the last dimension of HDI: Life expectancy. You can keep your liberal Obamacare BS. I have insurance. I worked my azz off in college studying instead of partying, running clubs instead of playing video games, doing research and volunteering instead of going on spring break, working to offset the costs instead of taking handouts so that I could get a good job that will pay for my healthcare, not so that I can have more of my hard earned dollars taken away to reward those who put in less effort than myself. I didn't work that hard in school so that I could pay for some crackhead in New Haven to get prescription painkillers for his "tooth ache".

Thanks for your relocation advise there chief. We know exactly where we want to go and are working on making it a reality.
A quick point:

While you imagine all beneficiaries of Obama care are crack smoking homeless people, the reality is that many hardworking people didn't have insurance due to job insecurity, poverty or pre-existing conditions. As a cancer survivor, I can tell you that Obamacare, for many hardworking people is a god send and is the only reason we have insurance. I was basically uninsurable.

I guess I'm not hardworking according to you, right?

In fact, it seems like you think you're the only one who works hard. I've got news for you-- Many of us who will live and die here work VERY hard. Hard work is not a conservative value. It's also not a singular virtue of the aggrieved.

If you want an environment with cheaper housing and less expensive taxes-- that option is certainly available to you. If you can do it and stay at the same salary, you'll be the exception.

I'm getting a little tired of all the whining from people who garner significant wealth here due to the high salary, expensive real estate environment. Or are you going to tell us you've got a zero net worth? Of course not-- You work hard-- You're successful. You just deserve more, right? I'm sure that's not case. You sound like the guy quote in the Courant a few weeks ago. He was complaining about the high taxes and complained he was being taxed out of the state. He was going to have sell both his primary residence and his vacation home here. Poor guy.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A quick point:

While you imagine all beneficiaries of Obama care are crack smoking homeless people, the reality is that many hardworking people didn't have insurance due to job insecurity, poverty or pre-existing conditions. As a cancer survivor, I can tell you that Obamacare, for many hardworking people is a god send and is the only reason we have insurance. I was basically uninsurable.

In fact, it seems like you think you're the only one who works hard. I've got news for you-- Many of us who will live and die here work VERY hard. Hard work is not a conservative value. It's also not a singular virtue of the aggrieved.

If you want an environment with cheaper housing and less expensive taxes-- that option is certainly available to you. If you can do it and stay at the same salary, you'll be the exception.

I'm getting a little tired of all the whining from people who garner significant wealth here due to the high salary, expensive real estate environment. Or are you going to tell us you've got a zero net worth? Of course not-- You work hard-- You're successful. You just deserve more, right? I'm sure that's not case. You sound like the guy quote in the Courant a few weeks ago. He was complaining about the high taxes and complained he was being taxed out of the state. He was going to have sell both his primary residence and his vacation home here. Poor guy.
Be a hard worker but you aren't entitled to others tax dollars

That's the problem with this state, they keep spending and this drives business out

Obamacare gives insurance for free and it prevents insurers from charging people what their true costs are. This will never work

You can't mandate doctors or insurers to charge x$ for a procedure when it costs $Y. Either doctors will refuse to do the procedure or tax payers will have to foot the bill.

18 Trillion of debt or facts don't seem to influence hard core zealots like yourself and that's the problem.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
So much crap in this post I could fertilize my lawn every week for a year. Let's just start with your math skills suck. Your town has 35000 households or individuals. My guess is the latter so 200mm is off by a factor of 3-4x.
Looked it up. The actual number is 140m. Still no small sum of money. Let me know when and I'll come by to fertilize your lawn. I'm gonna have to charge you a Hazmat tax though. And a delivery tax. and I'm going to defer the Taco Bell tax to you.There might also be a "gas" tax. and if there is gas involved, there will be additional fees for leaving a carbon footprint.I also noticed you said for "one year". Depending on the number of applications you would like me to apply to your lawn, you may need to get your home rezoned as a commercial garden. You may also need to obtain a permit. The permit, of course, has a fee and a tax. Good news is your allowed to write-off the first 2lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A quick point:

I'm not saying the healthcare system didn't have problems, but I believe most of the problems could have been solved with additional regulation. We didn't need to spend trillions of dollars to resolve the pre-existing condition problem. I most certainly believe in the existence of social programs, but not to the point that they suck the life out of the middle class. When the debate was hot back in 2010-ish and there were some 35 million uninsured people, 11 million of those QUALIFIED for medicaid. 11 million. That's nearly one 3rd of the "uninsured problem" due to being too lazy to fill out forms. Now that wouldn't have helped you, but an additional line in the regulation stating "insurance companies cannot discriminate against persons affected by an existing or pre-existing medical condition" would have cost nothing more than the hourly rate of those legislators and lawyers involved.---congrats on beating that POS BTW---

I know I'm not the only person who works hard, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't think I should have to pay for EVERYONE elses problems. Some, yes. As a member of society I am willing to contribute but I think there needs to be a moral boundary, not a politically correct one.

....Someone always has more than you and you always have more than someone else.There are millionaires and billionaires being "squeezed out" of the tri-state. Everyone has a different breaking point, but eventually, if you have to keep paying more year after year without getting anything in return you're going to start questioning the value of your situation. I knew a family that lived on LI for 8 generations, today they are all gone. They had enough. The guy with 2 houses wants 2 houses. If he can't afford it here he will buy 2 houses somewhere else. That's our loss, not his. Who are we to tell him what he can/can't have? Your house might be as much as both of his, does that mean you have too much? Hell, Hillary Clinton is "dead broke" and she makes what you make in a year for one speech.

"I'm getting a little tired of all the whining from people who garner significant wealth here due to the high salary, expensive real estate environment."...This is a fair enough point. We are planning to move to a very affluent area down south but, had I grown up and started my life in Dikshyt Alabama, I probably wouldn't be in the position to make that change.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 08-27-2014 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Be a hard worker but you aren't entitled to others tax dollars

That's the problem with this state, they keep spending and this drives business out

Obamacare gives insurance for free and it prevents insurers from charging people what their true costs are. This will never work

You can't mandate doctors or insurers to charge x$ for a procedure when it costs $Y. Either doctors will refuse to do the procedure or tax payers will have to foot the bill.

18 Trillion of debt or facts don't seem to influence hard core zealots like yourself and that's the problem.
Wow. Almost every sentence of your post is incorrect... I continue to operate a profitable business here. Others do the same.

1) Obamacare insurance isn't free. Everyone in my company is enrolled and they all pay. We pay 75% of their Obamacare insurance fees.

2) You seem to leave out the $100 cost for Tylenol at St. V's. You can't have it both ways. BTW- Insurers set the reimbursement rates, not anything within Obamacare.

You have some nerve calling the tripe you write "facts".

Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Yes, pathetic. I live in a town that has 35,000 residents. Lets say the average is $5,500 in property taxes...about 200,000,000 (200 million) dollars. Avg vehicle tax around 400...15 mil. Then the state of CT gave my town about 25mil...That's 240 MILLION dollars for ONE town. .

Your math is faulty. If property taxes are $5,500/home, unless the rate of occupants/home is 1-1 (doubtful), you would not multiply it by the census. Also, the churches and other non profits are either paying no property tax or a PILOT instead. I also doubt all 35,000 own cars..same math issue, surely you have some kids in that town, right?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
In my personal opinion the southeast ends in Pennsylvania, then you're truly up north again. I don't know, the biggest difference between living in the southeast and the northern states is the taxes are less expensive which may be the biggest draw to relocating south.

There is a division still to this day between the north and south cause it's cultural differences you get into the political parties and the south could be considered more conservative pro-gun and the north tends to be more liberal anti-gun.

Another difference I see is the north tends to be more progressive and open minded where as the south tends to be a little backward Bible Belt.

I'm not really sure how Connecticut or any state in the northeast became so astronomically high to live or conduct business in. When I was growing up as a kid in the northeast I remember that if you had college, a skilled trade, or transitioned your military skills even you could lead a nice life up there.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That's irrelevant. Those two (and other Universities) have agricultural programs that are national, and also have many international students.

On the other hand I'll remind you to the peanut size of Connecticut. Now take 95% of it out, and what's left (5%) is farmland.

Do the math.

I love local farms, most people do. I buy as much as I can their products, but I have no illusions if it can be a driver for large-scale employment of an educated workforce.
All I'm saying is farming is a business, and like any other business there is usually a mix of college educated people along with vocationally skilled people. Some people like to get dirty, some people don't want to sit at a desk all day, I would go postal in a cubicle, get me the hell out of here, lol.

Farming is a business that produces such a valuable resource and it's hardworking folks rolling up their sleeves to get the job done even if it means getting a little dirty.

If you love working outdoors, find reward in hard work, and want to produce something that's such a necessity for the health and wellbeing of people, agriculture and farming can be a wonderful career.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
In my personal opinion the southeast ends in Pennsylvania, then you're truly up north again. I don't know, the biggest difference between living in the southeast and the northern states is the taxes are less expensive which may be the biggest draw to relocating south.

There is a division still to this day between the north and south cause it's cultural differences you get into the political parties and the south could be considered more conservative pro-gun and the north tends to be more liberal anti-gun.

Another difference I see is the north tends to be more progressive and open minded where as the south tends to be a little backward Bible Belt.

I'm not really sure how Connecticut or any state in the northeast became so astronomically high to live or conduct business in. When I was growing up as a kid in the northeast I remember that if you had college, a skilled trade, or transitioned your military skills even you could lead a nice life up there.
You can still lead a nice life here. It is just that people like to complain but do little to nothing about it. They look at other states where there is more job growth and more new construction and think that is better (it is not necessarily). They look at the taxes they pay and complain. They look at the roads they drive on and complain. They look at the services they are given and complain. What they don't realize is how good it is here. I know a number of people (including a few posters here) who left only to realize they were wrong. This is just human nature I guess. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut