Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 09:53 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I don't think undocumented peeps migrate much period outside of where they settle initially but Texas definitely has a big population of them. And NC, CO, and MA have more than CT (as of 2014 at least).

Source: Unauthorized Immigrant Population Profiles | migrationpolicy.org
Texas makes sense being a border state. Colorado surprises me, but as a percentage of population is much less. MA also makes sense to me with major city. NC is another interesting one. Regardless in terms of exodus "replacement" I think most illegals would hear whispers of CT being a fine place to "initially settle". I do agree they likely find somewhere they're comfortable and stick around though. fWIW, I think they should have legal path to citizenship if they work and are productive. Besides the criminal scum, the tension and resentment is about their not contributing their fair share. I would feel pretty stupid if I claimed they should pay, but believed they should have no means to do so....not to mention they would be legally bound to getting paid a minimum wage, which in turn would attenuate their effect on diminishing wages for many industries.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:53 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
A family making $150k (very easily doable in todays age of dual working partners) would save $7,300 per year by moving from CT to FL. That is A LOT of incentive. You can do the math yourself if you don't believe me. Tax Calculator Results | Save Taxes By Moving

And it is a false statement that the only people that benefit are wealthy and politically connected. As I just showed dual earners above.

Finally those out-migration numbers fly in the face of "only the wealthy or connected" moving. Real life average Joes are moving. Like it or not, it is happening.
From what I have seen in the last 30 years in CT I don't think so. Also, the traffic keeps increasing around here, so these people are coming from somewhere. I don't think all this traffic is from people packing uhauls and moving down south.

If CT was truly losing big population we wouldn't need to be worried about i-95 i-84 or metro north. The population loss would fix those roads and public transport all on its own.

I wish we were losing big numbers so I could have the place to myself.

Also the $7300 savings you calculated moving from CT to FL would be lost when buying hurricane insurance. Not sure if it would be the same in North Carolina.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
From what I have seen in the last 30 years in CT I don't think so. Also, the traffic keeps increasing around here, so these people are coming from somewhere. I don't think all this traffic is from people packing uhauls and moving down south.

If CT was truly losing big population we wouldn't need to be worried about i-95 i-84 or metro north. The population loss would fix those roads and public transport all on its own.

Also the $7300 savings you calculated moving from CT to FL would be lost when buying hurricane insurance. Not sure if it would be the same in North Carolina.
Wasn't it just mentioned a few posts (or pages?) ago that there's a generalized trend right now that is moving away from rural and exurbs and in some cases even suburbs toward urban areas. This internal migration could alone contribute greatly to traffic in "hip" areas. Theories all set aside, IIRC, the data actually shows only FFC growing with others stagnant or in decline.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:01 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:

More people are driving. Simple as that. Less people are riding bus.. also you dont have to get hirricane insurance unless you have ocean front home.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
In the aggregate of Federal income tax, state income tax, property tax and car tax, I saved over $10K/year by leaving CT.

Not really. According to: The Worst States for Taxes During Retirement | Investopedia
I said with retirement income some or all is tax free.

Social Security retirement income is tax free in all 50 states. There are limits on how much one can earn (W-2 wages) BEFORE the social security retirement income is taxed, but even with that no more than 85% of it can be taxed.

One can also look at it like this, no matter how much income you earn when collecting social security 15% of it will always be tax free at the absolute minimum. Even for billionaires like Bill Gates.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
More people are driving. Simple as that. Less people are riding bus.. also you dont have to get hirricane insurance unless you have ocean front home.
I didn't know hurricanes stopped at the coastline. You might want to ask someone in Florida how much their homeowners insurance is and what the deductible is.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Wasn't it just mentioned a few posts (or pages?) ago that there's a generalized trend right now that is moving away from rural and exurbs and in some cases even suburbs toward urban areas. This internal migration could alone contribute greatly to traffic in "hip" areas. Theories all set aside, IIRC, the data actually shows only FFC growing with others stagnant or in decline.

I don't think those migrations apply to CT since nearly off of the state is urban. No matter where one is in CT you are no more than 30 minutes away from a city.

Rural to city migration is still happening in the midwest though, especially in Chicago area.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Social Security retirement income is tax free in all 50 states.
Not exactly.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0119.htm

Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
I didn't know hurricanes stopped at the coastline. You might want to ask someone in Florida how much their homeowners insurance is and what the deductible is.
I live about 10miles from the coast. At sea level at that. I can get flood insurance and all that but dont feel a need. Same for all the other different types of insurance they have. And if you know before this tropical storm/hurricane hit them florida hasnt had a hurricane in 11 years.. last time ct was hit was in 2012 when sandy came through.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:26 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Avg Home Ins in CT is $ 1129. In FL $ 1,991.

Avg Car Ins (Comprehensive) in CT: $ 1638, FL $ 1,830.

http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-...ners-insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut