Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 12:34 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I don't think undocumented peeps migrate much period outside of where they settle initially but Texas definitely has a big population of them. And NC, CO, and MA have more than CT (as of 2014 at least).

Source: Unauthorized Immigrant Population Profiles | migrationpolicy.org
Not true. They migrate the most. They go whereever they are able to work. If they cant get work in texas they go to Georgia. Once done there they go to carolinas. Once done there they go wherever. They can live in 3 different states in the same month

Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
A couple of points:

1- We've been hearing about 11 million illegal aliens for years now, although illegal aliens keep coming in. Just the number does not change.

2- Migration Policy Institute is a left-wing "think-tank," funded by left-wing foundations, and headed by 2 super left-wing, open-borders "globalist" operatives:

- Newland, which is closely related to, and promoted by the Clinton Global Initiative foundation.

- Papademetriu, based out of Brussels, who for decades has been pushing for Europe's open borders.

So I would take their numbers with a huge grain of salt, starting with the 11 million and their distribution.
This could be explained by those who leave.

If you have another source that you think is more credible, then please share. However I would be surprised if the findings about distribution of illegal immigrants is too different than what MPI has found through tallying up the results of census and other gov't surveys. As with all "estimates" or surveys, there will be some variation nonetheless.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Not true. They migrate the most. They go whereever they are able to work. If they cant get work in texas they go to Georgia. Once done there they go to carolinas. Once done there they go wherever. They can live in 3 different states in the same month
I think this is a slightly different issue than what Sigequinox was talking about though. The really transitory, migrant type of workers aren't benefitting from social programs (eg section 8, food stamps) as much as the ones who stay in a fixed place long-term. That's why I was saying the ones who get the benefits don't tend to move around since... they are state-based and do require some time and stability to get.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM

789 posts, read 702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'd guess the majority of population loss consists of baby boomers relocating to southern states to escape the harsh winters. The second demographic I would guess to be younger millennials (under 30).
Hard to explain CA in that population loss then because as far as weather goes it blows away pretty much the entire country. Also hard to explain Texas or Tennessee...the weather is not the reason for their in-migration.

This is an economic issue. A TAX issue, a cost of living issue. I realize this is a taboo subject on these boards as we like to believe people don't move for tax purposes, but guess what...they do. And as more employees are able to work remotely, rather than be tied to a city (like NY), they are choosing to jettison the region entirely.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:26 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Hard to explain CA in that population loss then because as far as weather goes it blows away pretty much the entire country. Also hard to explain Texas or Tennessee...the weather is not the reason for their in-migration.

This is an economic issue. A TAX issue, a cost of living issue. I realize this is a taboo subject on these boards as we like to believe people don't move for tax purposes, but guess what...they do. And as more employees are able to work remotely, rather than be tied to a city (like NY), they are choosing to jettison the region entirely.
I'm talking about for CT, nowhere else, since this is the CT forum.

And cost of living aside (because certainly a percentage is due to cost of living), the term "snowbirds" has been alive for decades, well before CT's cost of living was extremely high. Simply put, elderly people hate the cold. This isn't anything new.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:43 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Quote:
This could be explained by those who leave.
Both Govts (Mexican and American) claim that more people are moving from America to Mexico than other-way around -- but no one with a half-brain believes it.

Quote:
If you have another source that you think is more credible, then please share. However I would be surprised if the findings about distribution of illegal immigrants is too different than what MPI has found through tallying up the results of census and other gov't surveys. As with all "estimates" or surveys, there will be some variation nonetheless.
You can read here another view claiming that official numbers are total BS.

How many illegal aliens reside in the United States? | colorado immigration law resources reference

Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
I thought the State population expanded by a millionth percentage from what I read. CT isn't a bad state. I mean politicians anh. They cut funding to most important services in the State and healthcare. Jobs are scare or in a particular field. I think corporation taxes are relatively low. CT isn't really a hot spot area for big corporationscreen as you have two States with two major cities near by CT.

I do feel CT for the most part is good for small businesses though.

As far as taxes though for residents it's a bit brutal.

Last edited by RunD1987; 09-02-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post

That's very true. Besides security / life safety -- movement of people is economically driven.

Not long ago, people actually moved from the South into the Northern States. it's still happening nowadays -- people moving into some of the harshest climates -- North Dakota, or Northern Idaho for example.

Actually, cold/windy/icy Northern Idaho is getting a relatively large numbers of retirees, gasp -- from Southern California.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
RonaldusMaximus and I are bringing California, Texas, North Dakota, Idaho as examples to substantiate the point that economics is the driver of people moving elsewhere from CT. Despite the weather.

These examples are not about those states per se. They are about CT.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 PM

789 posts, read 702,646 times
Quote:

And cost of living aside (because certainly a percentage is due to cost of living), the term "snowbirds" has been alive for decades, well before CT's cost of living was extremely high. Simply put, elderly people hate the cold. This isn't anything new.
Obviously we are talking about CT but you must put it in context. The study I quoted actually adjusts for demographics. Suffice it to say CT is losing people more than due to the "snowbird" effect, which you rightly point out has been going on forever. However, prior to really putting the screws to people, CT had net IN migration. So regardless of what snowbirds are doing, the rest of people move for economic reasons....and the reasons are compelling.

Honest question, what is the harm in admitting that taxes affect economic behavior? It is bizarre to me. Like admitting that is somehow taboo. The more you tax something the less demand of it you get. The more you subsidize something the more demand of it you get. That is the bedrock law of economics. It is not up for interpretation or feelings it is like gravity, unrelenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut