Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
So what is FFC specifically the small cities? An anomaly? They have all the same problems as big cities you stated.
FFC is along the commuting route to NYC and there are basically two highways that parallel one another. FCC sprawl is all along one coastline unlike inland cities where people spread out in every direction.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:50 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternCTBias View Post
I saw this article this morning and thought "is this a veiled advertisement?" I am 30 years old and I left CT for professional opportunity, though I maintain the hope of returning once I gain enough experience. I travel to Texas (Dallas area) for work on occasion and I can definitively state that you could pay me double and I would never, ever live there. Awful weather, awful infrastructure, awful food, ugly natural landscape, and big-box stores galore. The people I have interacted with are also very unprofessional, two-faced and office drama is abound. In terms of amenities, infrastructure and professional behavior, it is truly a third-world state. I have friends who moved to Texas from CT and they absolutely hate it and have been counting down the years and days until they leave.

While CT has its budgetary woes, I often say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

I'm guessing have never been to Austin?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Well duh! CT is boring for millennials. Everyone has to flee to Boston or NYC for a night of real fun.
no according to Jay, CT has everything there is to offer and there are too many cons for young people to leave

Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I'm headed to Dallas next Month for vacation. The reason we are headed there is because 3 of my friends moved there from Connecticut. They had good jobs (nurse and engineers). They all found employment in 1 month, two had jobs lined up. They make the same money, more because no income tax. Two bought brand new homes in the suburb and one rents in Dallas.

What he is describing is not uncommon for millennials here in CT. That should be part of the 'first five' program. Get input from younger people on what they are looking for. Stamford seems to be doing this.

-especially since, most having no kids, starting professional jobs, they are what all states need-people who pay more in taxes than the services they use. People on an upward trajectory.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
Quote:
Do you think companies and businesses care about whether the state is able to retain its youth?
No idea what you're saying.

Quote:
no according to Jay, CT has everything there is to offer and there are too many cons for young people to leave
Jay didn't say that. Jay's main point all along is that CT does offer some things. I have been very critical of CT liberal economic policies. But there is no question that CT offers some positive things --

High standard of living, educated workforce (although shrinking), checked and gradual development, nice geography, nice 4 seasons, green spaces, tons of history and architecture, for those who appreciate it. Closeness (day-trips) to world's best cultural institutions (NYC or Boston). Relative lack of congestion outside of FFC.

I just got back from another trip down-south. This time I was somewhere in the backwoods of TN, GA, and SC -- Oppressive heat for months on-end, too many people where there shouldn't be, even during workweek. I never found myself driving without any other cars around, but I do find that in many parts of CT.

Down South -- high crime rate in too many places. Crime in CT is the opposite -- it is bad only a few bad places (namely cities). Most towns are relatively safe, and good public schools.

In CT, out of 169 towns you avoid 20-30 of them - -the rest are relatively safe with solid schools.

But of course, CT has its bad marks, which I won't repeat.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,708 times
Quote:
If you read what he posted his thoughts are CT shouldn't be compared with the likes of Boston or New York because it's not a major cosmopolitan urban area. The FFC area population is increasing while the more rural parts and Hartford valley see a decrease. Lower taxes isn't going to change the small towns from being unappealing to young grads because the modern college grad wants the chic urban lifestyle. New generations typically rebel against the lifestyle choices the parents made. My parents generation was big on getting that house in suburbs ASAP which is what made CT thrive decades ago.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
I got to talk to my Postal guy the other day in CT. He said he is retiring soon. I said "Florida?" He said "no way." He said some of his friends are coming back from FL -- too many people, no public transportation, too hot and humid.

Granted, he's getting a nice pension as postal worker, who can afford to stay. He said, he is selling his house, and moving into an apartment, and don't wanna do the snowbird thing. "Not worth the money to keep two homes, and hassle" he said.

In the winter he said, I just ride the train to NYC some days, stay inside the other days and watch football. Maybe take the Shoreline to NH, and hang out in NH, eat there, catch a lecture, have a beer and ride home.

He said, that for a $2-3k a year saving (he had done the math) he said that lifestyle in CT was worth the higher cost for him.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM

33 posts, read 35,916 times
Quote:
I'm guessing have never been to Austin?
I have been to Austin - part of my company is located there. Don't care for it. From a work standpoint, dealing with their office always leads to drama and bad attitudes. No thanks.

Someone else brought up the "south," which I have spoken to on other threads. First, "southern hospitality" is a total myth - I have never been lied to and backstabbed more than I have traveling through southern states. Tack on the obsenely high crime rates, huge education disparity, and a much higher level of arrogance from those who do have money/education and i say "no thanks" to that too. I also find humor in the shock I get when I tell people being a public school teacher or police officer is a viable, respected career in CT.

A conversation I have had literally dozens of times starts with "What is your accent? (Eastern Connecticut) "Wow! You much be so happy to be away from the cold. And isn't it great being around such friendly people." Umm, you insulted me twice in two sentences and made a point to identify me as an outsider, I wouldn't call that 'friendly.'

I also have never understood the mentality to run to hot weather at all costs. Personally I like winter. From my time traveling the south, I found the weather to be awful - oppressively hot summers and muddy, grey winters. I would take New England's gorgeous summer and fall with snowy winters over that any day.

That said, I think choosing where you live needs to take more than a cost of living calculator.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternCTBias View Post
I have been to Austin - part of my company is located there. Don't care for it. From a work standpoint, dealing with their office always leads to drama and bad attitudes. No thanks.

Someone else brought up the "south," which I have spoken to on other threads. First, "southern hospitality" is a total myth - I have never been lied to and backstabbed more than I have traveling through southern states. Tack on the obsenely high crime rates, huge education disparity, and a much higher level of arrogance from those who do have money/education and i say "no thanks" to that too. I also find humor in the shock I get when I tell people being a public school teacher or police officer is a viable, respected career in CT.

Grew up in Milford. Lived near Nashville 17 years, and the treatment of me was spectacular. Very friendly from day 1. I am not a fan of rural anything, north nor south, but people get what they give, in most cases. Northerners who are not friendly will experience problems in every state, just as unfriendly southerners would. Conversely, friendliness goes a long way in all states.

Now there are corps full of backstabbers. I was fortunate to be with none of those in Tn. Was at a few in Ct, and the one in NJ has elements of it. Again, that isn't due to location. That is 100% corporate culture at work.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Well duh! CT is boring for millennials. Everyone has to flee to Boston or NYC for a night of real fun.
Not everyone. I work with a lot of millennials who are perfectly happy here and have no intention or desire to leave. And yes I have asked them. And no they are not all Connecticut natives. We have millennials from the southwest, the Midwest and dare I say the south. Plus my office building is packed with millennials so not everyone wants Boston or New York. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut