Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times

Advertisements

There are actually 108,000,000 Americans on welfare, or roughly 35% of the population, per the census' most recent numbers (2011). This number does not include SS recipients, Veterans benefits, or unemployment benefits, which the census bureau doesn't consider welfare, and I don't either.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,985 times
So how about that economy in Connecticut?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

You aren't excluded if you have a preexisting condition. It just means the average cost you represent to an insurer is so high that you would not be able to pay your cost.
Am I reading this right, you don't think pre-existing conditions were an issue? Before Obamacare, if one had a pre-existing condition and was self-employed, insurance companies wouldn't cover you. I had to lie to get health insurance for my mild pre-existing condition. Let me tell you, the simplest of previous illnesses would be considered "pre-existing". Female cramping sent insurance companies into a tizzy. My son who has occasional exercise-induced asthma was only covered by us paying an additional monthly premium for him, and any issues ever with his upper respiratory system would never be covered. So basically he was barely covered. We had to sign a form stating we understood this.

Honestly, people who have health insurance through their employer have no clue how the self-employed have struggled to be insured in recent years. There were only a handful of insurance companies to pick from, with limited coverage and costly premiums. I don't understand why some people just assume that anyone using Obamacare must surely be on welfare. Take a look around you at all the small businesses, who have to buy their own health insurance.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
There are actually 108,000,000 Americans on welfare, or roughly 35% of the population, per the census' most recent numbers (2011). This number does not include SS recipients, Veterans benefits, or unemployment benefits, which the census bureau doesn't consider welfare, and I don't either.
85 Million of those are Medicaid recipients-- y'know health insurance. What you call welfare is provided by almost every other contemporary society (and Cuba).

The inflated number is disingenuous.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
85 Million of those are Medicaid recipients-- y'know health insurance. What you call welfare is provided by almost every other contemporary society (and Cuba).

Here are the exact numbers, both sides are way off.

Source: US Census

108,592,000 people in the United States in the recipients of one or more means-tested government benefit programs

101,716,000 people who worked full-time year (This is a scary dynamic!)

82,457,000 Medicare

49,073,000 beneficiaries of food stamps

20,223,000 on Supplemental Security Income

23,228,000 in the Women, Infants and Children program

Obviously the numbers don't sum to 108 million since certain individuals receive benefits from more than one basket.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Call it whatever you want - I really don't care. The government classifies it as welfare, and I'll lett them stand by their number. No need to get snarky and emotional over it

Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Call it whatever you want - I really don't care. The government classifies it as welfare, and I'll lett them stand by their number. No need to get snarky and emotional over it
Show me where "the government classifies it as welfare."

I'll wait.

In any other country, this health insurance would be provided. Kind of sad that what is provided in other civilized countries (and Cuba) is "welfare" to some here. These poor SOB's don't deserve health care without a label across their forehead?

I'll take it one step further and say healthcare is a human right.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Means-tested assistance is defined by the goverment as:

- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- General Assisance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP/Food Stamps)
- *Medicaid*
- Housing Assistance

Excluded from means-tested assistance are:

- Unemployment benefits
- Socical Security benefits
- Veterans' benefits

Not my classifications or definitions, so try to keep your hissyfit in check. You don't like it, do something about it.
As I said earlier, I really don't care -- They're just numbers, and there's no need for me to take them personally.

Last edited by Lalalally; 08-29-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Means-tested assistance is defined by the goverment as:

- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- General Assisance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP/Food Stamps)
- *Medicaid*
- Housing Assistance

Excluded from means-tested assistance are:

- Unemployment benefits
- Socical Security benefits
- Veterans' benefits

Not my classifications or definitions, so try to keep your hissyfit in check. You don't like it, do something about it.
As I said earlier, I really don't care -- They're just numbers, and there's no need for me to take them personally.
Tax rates are means tested to... Are those welfare? Why is it important to you that medicaid recipients be tagged as welfare recipients?

Perhaps you can debate without the personal insults like "hissyfit"? I'm not calling you names or characterizing your behavior. Maybe you can keep that in check. I don't agree with what your saying, but I have no beef with you personally. I don't feel the reverse is true.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
This thread has gone off topic. Please return to the topic of the OP which is the economy of Connecticut. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut