Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 06:32 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Can you explain to me why meriden airport, ct is colder than montreal by 10 degrees? It's also colder than bdl at 10 degrees. That weather station always seems to report colder in the morning than surrounding areas for some reason. It's not in a deep valley(300 feet in meriden). Seems to be their weather equipment might be off.
I don't know why locally....but I can tell you temps can differ to a huge degree based on WHERE the sensor is located. This goes for what part of the state, city, street....even your house.

A few years ago a did a series of tests on my property around my house, and I found there was as much as an 8F between the warmest part of my yard (south side sheltered ) and the coldest part (Northwest side in the open woods ). Imagine the differences is hundreds of miles when you factor in wind, solar angle, elevation....etc.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Pretty typical stuff it seems, long term climatology really made the chance of a significant snow event before mid-December in the Tri-State area a million to one shot. Climatology always seems the safest bet when faced with the fantasy forecasts of the models/media. NWS Mount Holly already seems to have given up this morning:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
549 AM EST SAT NOV 9 2013

.SYNOPSIS...
HIGH PRESSURE WILL SLIDE OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST LATE THIS
AFTERNOON. A COLD FRONT WILL CROSS THE REGION ON SUNDAY, FOLLOWED
BY ANOTHER AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE FOR MONDAY. A STRONGER COLD FRONT
WILL CROSS THE AREA ON TUESDAY. HIGH PRESSURE WILL THEN BUILD EAST
FROM THE MID-WEST, PROVIDING BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY
AND WEDNESDAY, WITH A MODERATING TREND EXPECTED FOR THE LATTER
PART OF THE WEEK.

CONCERN ABOUT A NOR`EASTER AFFECTING OUR REGION SEEMS TO BE WANING
AS THE 00Z RUNS FOR BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF SHUNT A COASTAL LOW OUT
TO SEA TO OUR SOUTHEAST DURING THE LATER HALF OF THE UPCOMING WEEK.

Otherwise....nice weekend on tap for the Tri-State area...sunshine, dry weather, and temps in the mid 50's F. I think Sunday will be the best day:
The storm is a bust. Lets move on... I agree nice weekend on tap. Lets agree on one thing though. There is going to be some serious below normal temps tues-thurs. High of 37 Wednesday forecasted for the shoreline in the New Haven area.

• Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
  • Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 37.
  • Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Thursday A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
  • Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near

Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Can you explain to me why meriden airport, ct is colder than montreal by 10 degrees? It's also colder than bdl at 10 degrees. That weather station always seems to report colder in the morning than surrounding areas for some reason. It's not in a deep valley(300 feet in meriden). Seems to be their weather equipment might be off.
Don't let anyone tell you its "just" a location of sensor thing when there's a 10 DEGREE difference. 1-4 degrees fine...but 10 degrees there's another reason. Nice you pointed that out because I didn't notice.

20s and low 30s were in North Carolina (not high elevation either) so there was enough cold air around and not just a location thing. So we have to look at the causes.

BDL has scattered clouds come in at 6am PLUS had a lighter breeze than Meriden. So Meriden had more heat escape and cold air stay put down at the surface.

However, BDL did drop to 26° so its not like Meriden was colder. It was just colder at that point.

Same for Montreal having more clouds and wind around.

Right now BDL is 40°. Meriden is 38°. Not off as much anymore.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The storm is a bust. Lets move on... I agree nice weekend on tap. Lets agree on one thing though. There is going to be some serious below normal temps tues-thurs. High of 37 Wednesday forecasted for the shoreline in the New Haven area.

• Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Thursday A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
  • Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near

To be honest, I can't say the storm was a bust - because there was never a real threat from a snow storm impacting the Tri-State anyway. The chances were a million to 1. It was more computer fantasy and the media trying to get something going in the marketing dept.

As far as the short term weather, yes, coolish today, a bit more mild on Sunday (highs mid 50's) then a few cold fronts turn things much cooler by mid week. Highs below 40 F down on the shoreline might be overdoing it, but it would not surprise me if highs stayed in the 40 - 42 F range on Wed. I think we moderate again by late this week back into the upper 50's F. With this fast pattern both warm and cool air will come and go quick. That's why I think the dry and sunny conditions (and growing drought) might be here to stay for awhile. The next chance for modest wet weather is about a week from today when we look to turn wet and mild, though it's 7 days away, so who knows:

Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,528 times
Why are you fixated on Sunday's seasonal temperatures as opposed to the arctic air coming down on tuesday for an extended stay? You missed the real news.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 AM

With the fast pattern....I doubt the cold air in the middle of the week will be an "extended stay": With the fast pattern by Friday highs will be right back into the 50's F.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM

One things seems certain at this point....cool or warm....there is a growing drought in the Tri-State area and parts of the East Coast. In CT, the worst areas seem to coastal/southern and southwestern CT where we are now in SEVERE Drought mode. It seems that all the dry weather, sunshine, and no storms is really catching up with us. From north Florida, through eastern parts of South and North Carolina, to northern NJ, CT, and Rhode Island, the drought is growing.

Now that the computer generated storm seems like it will have no impact on the Tri-State area....there seems to be little real rain (maybe sprinkles on Tue/Wed) in the forecast for another 7 days. Just dry air and sunshine.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Why are you fixated on Sunday's seasonal temperatures as opposed to the arctic air coming down on tuesday for an extended stay? You missed the real news.
I

I agree. The current discusion/news is the cold. No reason to post a temp map for Sunday. I already acknowledged that this weekend will be seasonable...

Daytime high for New Haven at 37 for Wednesday.. Then a 40% chance of snow with mid 20's for temps Wednesday night....

Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The storm is a bust. Lets move on...[/list]
How's it a bust? It's a bust when it's actually forecasted to happen. This was just some 8 day out fantasy that models routinely spin out.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
How's it a bust? It's a bust when it's actually forecasted to happen. This was just some 8 day out fantasy that models routinely spin out.
Would agree with you 1000% on that last part.

These computer generated fantasy forecasts are ruining whatever respect people had for weather as a science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut