Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 08:01 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Because a lot of those incentives are coming from JobsOhio. There are regional branches of JobsOhio like TeamNEO, but they still have to get approval for those incentives from Columbus. It just goes to show how much state $$$ is flowing into Central Ohio.
Columbus was born on 3rd and thinks it hit a triple. Hard to overstate just how wealthy cities like Cleveland, Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo made the state of Ohio in the 20th century. Now Columbus moves in and sucks the already established wealth out of everywhere and thinks they're doing something amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 08:14 AM

204 posts, read 71,733 times
Quote:
The very first post mentions Cleveland and Cincinnati - it is going to lead to a discussion where those cities are not favorably mentioned, which was the case. I would expect other posters to come in and discuss from those cities, again, just like I would expect Columbus posters to do in other forums.

I don't really care for the bashing of Columbus. I think there are plenty of urban core neighborhoods that offer a lot, and there are plenty of peer cities that do not have the offerings of those core neighborhoods, the urban infill that is taking place (or quality), nor the growth.

With that said, I think the main Columbus posters who would bash other cities are out of here now, but I always found the woe-is-me Columbus attitude annoying, but again, most of that is gone because those posters have chosen to leave.
Doesn't it have to mention Cleveland and Cincinnati given the original question about what would become the largest metro? Also, I haven't just read this thread here. Posters from there comment mostly negatively about Columbus in a lot of threads here whether their respective cities are mentioned or not, so I don't think that's the main reason.

I kind of noticed you piling on to Columbus posters yourself at times for their negative comments, but never really did the same when anyone said anything negative about Columbus, so would you say you're actually being fair in that? The Jimmy poster is accusing people from Columbus of not understanding anything about culture as we speak, for example. So the negativity and bashing is not gone by any measure, it's just that it's all just now coming from one side. I'm not from Columbus and have no special dog in this fight. It's just what I'm seeing. The 3 C cities are all pretty evenly matched in many ways, so a thoughtful debate about them could be pretty interesting. But I don't think most people here want that. They seem to just want to be able to mock and trash a city and not have anyone disagree.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
sounds like you leave columbus a lot, exactly the point
So a person traveling is an indication that the person can't also like Columbus? Can you connect those dots for me?
Also, are you saying that you have never traveled?

Old 08-17-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
So a person traveling is an indication that the person can't also like Columbus? Can you connect those dots for me?
Also, are you saying that you have never traveled?
It's not surprising that someone in Columbus feels they have to leave the city to find something novel and interesting. I feel that same exact way in Columbus.

I'm not getting involved in the juvenile and mundane "I've been to x countries!!! I AM CULTURED!"

Old 08-17-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Columbus was born on 3rd and thinks it hit a triple. Hard to overstate just how wealthy cities like Cleveland, Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo made the state of Ohio in the 20th century. Now Columbus moves in and sucks the already established wealth out of everywhere and thinks they're doing something amazing.
I read through the entire 4 years of posts on this thread, and I have to say, I didn't see a single post from anyone that claimed anything like that. So I have to wonder if this is more about you trying to force an image of the city and people there that you think is true onto them. You seem to associate any positive comment about Columbus as a direct personal attack on your values and seem to genuinely and deeply despise the place. I've never felt so strongly about any place I've lived or not lived, so where does that come from?

Old 08-17-2023, 08:26 AM

140 posts, read 66,622 times
Quote:
Doesn't it have to mention Cleveland and Cincinnati given the original question about what would become the largest metro? Also, I haven't just read this thread here. Posters from there comment mostly negatively about Columbus in a lot of threads here whether their respective cities are mentioned or not, so I don't think that's the main reason.

I kind of noticed you piling on to Columbus posters yourself at times for their negative comments, but never really did the same when anyone said anything negative about Columbus, so would you say you're actually being fair in that? The Jimmy poster is accusing people from Columbus of not understanding anything about culture as we speak, for example. So the negativity and bashing is not gone by any measure, it's just that it's all just now coming from one side. I'm not from Columbus and have no special dog in this fight. It's just what I'm seeing. The 3 C cities are all pretty evenly matched in many ways, so a thoughtful debate about them could be pretty interesting. But I don't think most people here want that. They seem to just want to be able to mock and trash a city and not have anyone disagree.
Go back and read the first few pages of this thread. In fact it was the Father poster who back in 2019 started bashing Cleveland, but those posts were deleted, but because they were quoted, you can still see some of what was said. So, as much as Columbus posters are trying to play the victim, they too were bashing other areas.

My comments in this thread were worth calling out some of the hypocrisy in this debate from Columbus posters. But I have also defended Columbus here and in city vs. city, but why mention that? It goes against your current narrative.

I never once said anything about Columbus posters and culture. I truly could careless about what other posters say. When you start bashing other areas of the state though, that is where things need to be called out on.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
It's not surprising that someone in Columbus feels they have to leave the city to find something novel and interesting. I feel that same exact way in Columbus.

I'm not getting involved in the juvenile and mundane "I've been to x countries!!! I AM CULTURED!"
But that poster didn't say that they felt they had to leave Columbus to find those things. That was you putting words in their mouth and building a straw man to tear down. Do people from Cleveland not travel?

Old 08-17-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Go back and read the first few pages of this thread. In fact it was the Father poster who back in 2019 started bashing Cleveland, but those posts were deleted, but because they were quoted, you can still see some of what was said. So, as much as Columbus posters are trying to play the victim, they too were bashing other areas.

My comments in this thread were worth calling out some of the hypocrisy in this debate from Columbus posters. But I have also defended Columbus here and in city vs. city, but why mention that? It goes against your current narrative.

I never once said anything about Columbus posters and culture. I truly could careless about what other posters say. When you start bashing other areas of the state though, that is where things need to be called out on.
As you said, a lot of the early stuff seems to have been deleted, so it's impossible to tell who started what. I don't think it really matters who started what, though. Because there have been 77 pages over 4 years, and the overwhelming majority of negative posts against an Ohio city have been directed towards Columbus. Which I find really interesting because you all are telling me that the Columbus posters now gone were the real problem. So why is there still so much of the same thing going on?

So when should we expect your "calling out" of Jimmy's posts the past few pages? Do you think those are reasonable, fair and constructive? That they promote good, positive discussion? Just curious.

I really don't have any narrative. Just giving my own impressions of this place. I have no loyality to any of the Ohio's big cities. Notice I have not said a single negative thing about any of them. Yet already I am getting accused of having a narrative against some.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:03 AM

140 posts, read 66,622 times
Quote:
As you said, a lot of the early stuff seems to have been deleted, so it's impossible to tell who started what. I don't think it really matters who started what, though. Because there have been 75 pages over 4 years, and the overwhelming majority of negative posts against an Ohio city have been directed towards Columbus. Which I find really interesting because you all are telling me that the Columbus posters now gone were the real problem. So why is there still so much of the same thing going on?

So when should we expect your "calling out" of Jimmy's posts the past few pages? Do you think those are reasonable, fair and constructive? That they promote good, positive discussion. Just curious.
The same could be said for you. The Father poster is still around being negative toward other cities. Why are you only mentioning the people saying negatives about Columbus?

I am not from Columbus, so when they start bashing multiple locations, it's worth saying something. As I mentioned in my last post, I have said positive things about Columbus in here and other threads. It goes both ways. So Columbus posters can be fixated on just what negatives are being said about Columbus, but it looks like we can keep going in circles.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
As you said, a lot of the early stuff seems to have been deleted, so it's impossible to tell who started what. I don't think it really matters who started what, though. Because there have been 77 pages over 4 years, and the overwhelming majority of negative posts against an Ohio city have been directed towards Columbus. Which I find really interesting because you all are telling me that the Columbus posters now gone were the real problem. So why is there still so much of the same thing going on?

So when should we expect your "calling out" of Jimmy's posts the past few pages? Do you think those are reasonable, fair and constructive? That they promote good, positive discussion? Just curious.

I really don't have any narrative. Just giving my own impressions of this place. I have no loyality to any of the Ohio's big cities. Notice I have not said a single negative thing about any of them. Yet already I am getting accused of having a narrative against some.
My posts are just true. We know you have been on this forum before btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus