Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 07:48 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don’t expect anyone from the United States to understand “culture” either. What is all this “culture” they have in Rust Belt cities that doesn’t exist in Columbus? Art museums with pieces donated when the city still made money? A fifth-generation Italian-American slinging meatball hoagies?
The Rust Belt has quite a lot of deep rooted communities, heavily from Eastern and Central European backgrounds. Many come from a religious background, especially Catholicism and Eastern Catholicism/Eastern Orthodoxy. You have to live in a place and love it, you have to know the people, you have to do more than go out to eat and think about people other than yourself.. Thus, this is all completely foreign to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 08:29 AM

204 posts, read 71,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I mean yeah it just is what it is. I don't expect people from Columbus who have never lived in a legacy city to understand what culture is.
You're from Cleveland... a mid-size, post-industrial city in the Midwest. Let's maybe lower the level of unearned arrogance. Cleveland is a fine enough city, but saying these things makes it seem that it's not the people of Columbus who grossly misunderstand and misjudge their place in the cultural world.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
This is a thread that is comparing Columbus to other areas of Ohio. It is not solely about Columbus. I would not be questioning a Columbus poster going into a Cincinnati or Cleveland forum if Columbus was being discussed. The Columbus forum is just not active (really, the Ohio forum is not) because most people with similar interests regarding cities and Ohio post on other forum sites.

But if looking at posts:

Cincinnati has 91,851
Cleveland has 78,847
Columbus has 38,254
From the title, it seems like this was a thread only asking the question of whether Columbus would eventually become the state's largest metro. And instead of focusing on that question, there have been endless tangents about how Columbus is essentially a backwater filled with toothless hillbillies, and that anything postive or good that happens there is akin to pearls before swine.

Yeah, I can't imagine why Columbus people wouldn't be falling all over themselves to post here.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:46 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
The Rust Belt has quite a lot of deep rooted communities, heavily from Eastern and Central European backgrounds. Many come from a religious background, especially Catholicism and Eastern Catholicism/Eastern Orthodoxy. You have to live in a place and love it, you have to know the people, you have to do more than go out to eat and think about people other than yourself.. Thus, this is all completely foreign to you.
LOL nice soliloquy. I enjoy Cleveland but their main past times are drinking beer and watching their football team lose like 90% of the country. Visiting there is not exactly traveling the old Silk Road.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:48 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
From the title, it seems like this was a thread only asking the question of whether Columbus would eventually become the state's largest metro. And instead of focusing on that question, there have been endless tangents about how Columbus is essentially a backwater filled with toothless hillbillies, and that anything postive or good that happens there is akin to pearls before swine.

Yeah, I can't imagine why Columbus people wouldn't be falling all over themselves to post here.
Tangent or not, for me (and Ive been visiting C-bus for many years now), its that to have such an obvious boom I expect more sustainable development trends. I.E., the malls of the 80s are slowly dying as we speak. Also, I think there is a reasonable expectationt that columbus is growing because its an exciting place to be, like the Sunset strip in the 80s, but its more that farmland was annexed and cheap land/tax breaks are drawing in big data..so its jobs. Survival is a good thing, so cool.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:35 PM

383 posts, read 512,140 times
Quote:
I mean yeah it just is what it is. I don't expect people from Columbus who have never lived in a legacy city to understand what culture is.
So as someone who lives in Columbus but has traveled to over 30 countries in the world, I somehow don't have an understanding of culture? Btw I have kids adopted from other countries and are quite aware of cultures...

Old 08-17-2023, 06:27 AM

140 posts, read 66,751 times
Quote:

The very first post mentions Cleveland and Cincinnati - it is going to lead to a discussion where those cities are not favorably mentioned, which was the case. I would expect other posters to come in and discuss from those cities, again, just like I would expect Columbus posters to do in other forums.

I don't really care for the bashing of Columbus. I think there are plenty of urban core neighborhoods that offer a lot, and there are plenty of peer cities that do not have the offerings of those core neighborhoods, the urban infill that is taking place (or quality), nor the growth.

With that said, I think the main Columbus posters who would bash other cities are out of here now, but I always found the woe-is-me Columbus attitude annoying, but again, most of that is gone because those posters have chosen to leave.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
So as someone who lives in Columbus but has traveled to over 30 countries in the world, I somehow don't have an understanding of culture? Btw I have kids adopted from other countries and are quite aware of cultures...
sounds like you leave columbus a lot, exactly the point

Old 08-17-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Tangent or not, for me (and Ive been visiting C-bus for many years now), its that to have such an obvious boom I expect more sustainable development trends. I.E., the malls of the 80s are slowly dying as we speak. Also, I think there is a reasonable expectationt that columbus is growing because its an exciting place to be, like the Sunset strip in the 80s, but its more that farmland was annexed and cheap land/tax breaks are drawing in big data..so its jobs. Survival is a good thing, so cool.
Sustainable development trends are not really a thing in like 95% of America. Look at how many times people have bragged about the sprawl between Cincinnati and Dayton in this thread.

I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation, though. Growth happens for a lot of reasons, but I'm not sure "excitement" is generally one of them. Columbus seems to grow for 3 main reasons- people moving there from other places for school or work and choosing to stay long term, immigrant and refugee populations moving there, and more people being born than dying every year. These reasons are pretty standard for most growing cities.

There seems to be a lot of dispute on how much growth annexation is responsible for, at least in recent decades. Besides, Columbus surely isn't the only city in Ohio to have annexed.
And the big data thing is only within the last couple of years, so you can't really say it's been a significant draw until then. Regardless, I recently saw a photo of the state that shows regional investment from like 2023-2026, and out of like $150 billion in the entire state, $140 billion was just for the Columbus area. That's incredibly lopsided. If things like tax breaks work so well, why aren't other cities in the state rolling out that red carpet of incentives?

Old 08-17-2023, 07:58 AM

140 posts, read 66,751 times
Quote:
Sustainable development trends are not really a thing in like 95% of America. Look at how many times people have bragged about the sprawl between Cincinnati and Dayton in this thread.

I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation, though. Growth happens for a lot of reasons, but I'm not sure "excitement" is generally one of them. Columbus seems to grow for 3 main reasons- people moving there from other places for school or work and choosing to stay long term, immigrant and refugee populations moving there, and more people being born than dying every year. These reasons are pretty standard for most growing cities.

There seems to be a lot of dispute on how much growth annexation is responsible for, at least in recent decades. Besides, Columbus surely isn't the only city in Ohio to have annexed.
And the big data thing is only within the last couple of years, so you can't really say it's been a significant draw until then. Regardless, I recently saw a photo of the state that shows regional investment from like 2023-2026, and out of like $150 billion in the entire state, $140 billion was just for the Columbus area. That's incredibly lopsided. If things like tax breaks work so well, why aren't other cities in the state rolling out that red carpet of incentives?
Because a lot of those incentives are coming from JobsOhio. There are regional branches of JobsOhio like TeamNEO, but they still have to get approval for those incentives from Columbus. It just goes to show how much state $$$ is flowing into Central Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus