Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 PM

20 posts, read 91,462 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone!

Lynchberg, I am actually going to visit campus this Friday, so I will see the school when it is in action.

That is interesting to hear about the IB program, but it makes sense, seems like half the people on facebook for the class of 2015 page are saying they are going to major in IB.

Well, then what is the point of letting kids into the program early, but making them apply to the major second semester sophomore year?

Thank you waccamatt, I have some questions but I'll save them for until after I visit, I might have some more by then.

Thank you le roi, Greenville and CarolinaChicago, you all bring up some good points.

I'm not sure where I want to live after graduation. I guess kind of a big city, like Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, etc... No real preference between them though.

I plan on getting my MBA so I've been told undergrad school does not matter so much and I'm willing to go a lot further in debt for grad school than I am for undergrad. Georgetown is amazing and I'm not surprised you loved it Greenville, but I'll have to wait and see how much (if any) aid I will get from them. I couldn't justify going $80k+ debt for undergrad when I'll want to go to grad school 4-5 years after graduating. Would be awesome going to school in DC though.

So, hopefully I will know more after I visit Friday. Heck may even know where I'm headed this fall haha.

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,456,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger zone View Post
Thanks everyone!

Lynchberg, I am actually going to visit campus this Friday, so I will see the school when it is in action.

That is interesting to hear about the IB program, but it makes sense, seems like half the people on facebook for the class of 2015 page are saying they are going to major in IB.

Well, then what is the point of letting kids into the program early, but making them apply to the major second semester sophomore year?

Thank you waccamatt, I have some questions but I'll save them for until after I visit, I might have some more by then.

Thank you le roi, Greenville and CarolinaChicago, you all bring up some good points.

I'm not sure where I want to live after graduation. I guess kind of a big city, like Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, etc... No real preference between them though.

I plan on getting my MBA so I've been told undergrad school does not matter so much and I'm willing to go a lot further in debt for grad school than I am for undergrad. Georgetown is amazing and I'm not surprised you loved it Greenville, but I'll have to wait and see how much (if any) aid I will get from them. I couldn't justify going $80k+ debt for undergrad when I'll want to go to grad school 4-5 years after graduating. Would be awesome going to school in DC though.

So, hopefully I will know more after I visit Friday. Heck may even know where I'm headed this fall haha.

thanks everyone
I think they admit to an intended major just like pre-med or pre-law. But, sophomore year you have to declare an actual major. It's just like the scholarships that are offered . . . if you maintain the gpa.

But the IB program is very specialized and intense. My daughter also started out intending to do the IB but decided the intensity was too much. She did double major -- finance and economics -- and minored in Chinese and still managed to have lots of fun . . . sorority, football games etc, without quite the same pressure. She's absolutely loved it (and we loved the big scholarship money) and has done very well. Best of luck to you. It's always wonderful to hear of a focused and ambitious young person

Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM

20 posts, read 91,462 times
Thanks LL.

That makes sense with the pre admit thing.

The scholarship money was a big reason that drew me to USC and I've heard the campus is beautiful, but I'll have to check it out tomorrow for myself. Sounds like your daughter graduated already and loved her USC experience? That's good to hear.

Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,578,833 times
Quote:
Thanks LL.

That makes sense with the pre admit thing.

The scholarship money was a big reason that drew me to USC and I've heard the campus is beautiful, but I'll have to check it out tomorrow for myself. Sounds like your daughter graduated already and loved her USC experience? That's good to hear.

Thanks again.
The Horseshoe and Gibbes Green are the gorgeous parts of the campus so be sure to check them out, especially since the azaleas are now in full bloom in Columbia.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,456,327 times
Actually graduation is May 6 -- pray for wonderful weather. And, yes, she has loved Carolina. The Moore School has prepared her very well!

I agree with Waccamatt, those are gorgeous areas but don't forget to check out the Strom Thurmond Center, Greek Village, and imagine the roar of 80,000 people screaming at Williams-Brice Stadium! Also, tour the city -- The Vista and Five Points will be part of your life.

Carolina is a very cool place to go to school!

Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times
Quote:

So I kind of narrowed my choices down to South Carolina and Ohio State. I plan on majoring in finance and accounting and I was accepted into USC's international business program so I guess I will try to triple major. I know that is kind of ambitious, but on the website they mentioned someone was triple majoring with IB being one of the majors.
One thing to find out about and get it in WRITING is if you can actually have 3 majors. I say this because you're looking at 3 majors in the same department/college (and I don't mean USC or OSU - Colleges have different colleges and schools that make up the actual college/university) and many schools only allow for one in a department.

I am dealing with this exact situation for my minor at USC Aiken. Our Music department is in the Fine Arts department. I was going to minor in Music, but I can't because our minors have to be from a different department. I am majoring in Technology Arts and we're all under the same Fine Arts department. Talk about messing up my whole plan!

And this isn't a USC issue. This is an issue at many colleges and universities. So you might want to check this plan out with ALL of the schools you're looking at. It could save you from a ton of disappointment and classes later.

DId you have a good weekend visiting us in SC? Good luck with school!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,339 times
I am a USC students and have friends who are IB students. USC's IB school is the best in the country, and second in the world-only bested by China (where IB students spend two years). I personally think USC is the better choice of the two if looking at a resume where you want to specialize in international business. I am not sure about the triple major, yet a double major with your credentials would not be unthinkable.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 PM

191 posts, read 503,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutzywithclass View Post
USC's IB school is the best in the country, and second in the world-only bested by China (where IB students spend two years).
Ah. No. While I've heard great things about the IB school a quick google search will prove your statement is nothing more than propaganda.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 PM

301 posts, read 805,006 times
USC's IB school has been ranked number 1 in the country on numerous occasions. I wouldn't call that propaganda.

Anyways, may I ask if you actually decided on a school? I'm headed to USC in the fall and it sounds like we'll have a massive class. USC announced that it was not taking anyone off of its waiting list.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,171,129 times
Wonder how Danger Zone liked USC? My oldest graduated with her masters there and my youngest will be a freshmen next year. She actually chose it over some of the top NC schools. I went there also for nursing back in the 80's and my husband did his residency in orthopedic surgery in Columbia. VERY hot in the summer that is the worst I remember but lovethe campus beauty and people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area