Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM

117 posts, read 184,066 times

Advertisements

So I was walking on campus last Saturday morning after having my children have their pictures taken at the horseshoe and I had this thought (of what could be along with all the other great stuff going on around campus)and it seemed reasonable enough and would tie the campus together quite nicely with all the new construction across assembly... So we walked from the original Darla Moore to the horseshoe which is a beautiful walk and I thought how nice it would be "they closed that rd (college st I believe- but keeping Sumter st open)and continue that theme of brick walkways and grass down to assembly maybe even bricking the sidewalks at the school of education as well it would make for a wonderful walkable connection to the newer part of campus. Any thoughts?? Also while I'm dreaming, I hope they do what they did on assembly on Main st as well... Would be great! Last rambling thought... Speaking of Main st on the south side of the cap building... would that not have been an excellent spot for the new Law School?? Nothing of any real significance there that couldn't be easily relocated. I'm sure something is in the works there but have never heard anything... that potentially could be the most striking area of campus if done correctly with the sight lines to the state house and city in one direction and Williams-Brice beautifully framed in the other direction. OK, I'm done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,848,875 times
Some news I heard was that the Strom bridge will close on saturday for pre-site work on the future dorms on the parking lot.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM

26 posts, read 32,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
So I was walking on campus last Saturday morning after having my children have their pictures taken at the horseshoe and I had this thought (of what could be along with all the other great stuff going on around campus)and it seemed reasonable enough and would tie the campus together quite nicely with all the new construction across assembly... So we walked from the original Darla Moore to the horseshoe which is a beautiful walk and I thought how nice it would be "they closed that rd (college st I believe- but keeping Sumter st open)and continue that theme of brick walkways and grass down to assembly maybe even bricking the sidewalks at the school of education as well it would make for a wonderful walkable connection to the newer part of campus. Any thoughts?? Also while I'm dreaming, I hope they do what they did on assembly on Main st as well... Would be great! Last rambling thought... Speaking of Main st on the south side of the cap building... would that not have been an excellent spot for the new Law School?? Nothing of any real significance there that couldn't be easily relocated. I'm sure something is in the works there but have never heard anything... that potentially could be the most striking area of campus if done correctly with the sight lines to the state house and city in one direction and Williams-Brice beautifully framed in the other direction. OK, I'm done
Master Plans for the campus have shown Greene being bricked and landscaped. I don't know off the top of my head about Main or College but if growth continues it seems like a logical extension. Closing off College street would be a traffic disaster though. Maybe it's slow during the weekends but things would get ugly quick if you closed that street completely, not to mention pedestrian safety issues b/w the horseshoe and the other side of Sumter.

As far as the Law School, (a) the new law school will be across Gervais from the Smith Whaley House, future home of the SC Children's Law Center, (b) the future site was already mostly University property, and what wasn't was an abandoned garage that depreciated the property value, and (c) the law school has its eye on improving by way of expanded facilities, and the new site is much larger, so they wouldn't have to build up to get more space.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 PM

12,933 posts, read 18,787,237 times
"In the latest issue of Dance Magazine, USC’s dance program was named as one of three top programs to consider among colleges nationwide." - Free Times

New York Ballet Stars Descend Upon Columbia - Free-Times.com

In the media you don't get any bigger in the dance world than Dance Magazine.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,277,756 times
Found this little gem, don't know if its been posted or not:

What the Job Market Wants: Top 150 universities in the world.

Global Companies Rank Universities - NYTimes.com

(Hint: Check who comes in at 133)

Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,455,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Found this little gem, don't know if its been posted or not:

What the Job Market Wants: Top 150 universities in the world.

Global Companies Rank Universities - NYTimes.com

(Hint: Check who comes in at 133)
Thanks for posting! Great things are happening for South Carolina!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Ok, I've gone over the list like five times and I didn't see Clemson. Am I safe? I do have this self-diagnosed disorder: notseeingitforlookingatititis.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,455,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiadata View Post
ok, i've gone over the list like five times and i didn't see clemson. Am i safe? I do have this self-diagnosed disorder: Notseeingitforlookingatititis.

lol

Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM

243 posts, read 283,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Ok, I've gone over the list like five times and I didn't see Clemson. Am I safe? I do have this self-diagnosed disorder: notseeingitforlookingatititis.
how can that be? Clemson is supposed to be so much better than Carolina

Old 05-07-2014, 12:51 PM

USC's Arnold School of Public health ranked #7 by MBA Healthcare Management

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area