Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 10:36 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,944,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Thank you for doing this. I'm lucky enough to be able to work remotely right now but I've got so many friends that aren't able to work as a result of all of the closures. Actions like this mean a lot.
Reading this article inspired my decision. https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...ue-to-covid-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 10:39 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,944,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My tenant who works a second job as petsitter just lost all 12 clients yesterday. I've cut their rent down to the bone for the duration of this emergency.
Excellent move

Old 03-17-2020, 10:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
But 30 days for the entire State seems excessive.
I still think it is, too - little farming towns out east can't have breakfast at their usual Diner?
Or have a beer together? No one is flying in from Milan or Sydney there.

I'm being ridiculous - it takes ONE person to drive thru from a Ski Resort town
back to Nebraska and have lunch to infect everyone....all 200 people out there.
Then, what would they do?

Old 03-17-2020, 11:01 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
This is from an article I intentionally linked from the Fox News website so it can't immediately be dismissed as "fake news" by the goobers who still believe this is a nothingburger.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/when-will...ning-the-curve

"A report released on Monday by an epidemic modeling group at Imperial College London paints a stark picture on how the numbers of infected could grow in the U.S. and the U.K. if efforts are not made to slow the spread of the virus.

If no control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behavior are undertaken, authors noted that a peak in daily deaths could occur in about three months, somewhere around June 20 in the U.S. In an unmitigated epidemic, scientists predict around 2.2 million deaths in the U.S., which doesn't account for the effects of health systems being overwhelmed in regards to mortality."

The bolded means if we do nothing 2.2 million will die even if the hospitals aren't overwhelmed. If the healthcare system gets crushed, the number will be significantly higher.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 AM

7,193 posts, read 9,335,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I still think it is, too - little farming towns out east can't have breakfast at their usual Diner?
Or have a beer together? No one is flying in from Milan or Sydney there.

I'm being ridiculous - it takes ONE person to drive thru from a Ski Resort town
back to Nebraska and have lunch to infect everyone....all 200 people out there.
Then, what would they do?
It's likely that a rural hospital would have at most 1 ventilator because they cost about $24K.

It's also likely that in a rural area most residents are elderly.

So if you are the doctor with two simultaneous cases, who gets the ventilator?

Old 03-17-2020, 02:34 PM

410 posts, read 451,585 times
Current death rate in the US is 2% of those infected (5000 cases, 100 deaths)

Assuming even a 50% infection rate (currently it's believed it could be as high as 70+%) that's approx 160+ million infections
Which at 2% death rate is 3,200,00 deaths.

With quarantine efforts these numbers should fall... but tens of thousands of deaths remains a very scary and real possibility.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:18 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
There is no way to accurately determine how many are infected as testing is not universally available.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:25 PM

410 posts, read 451,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
There is no way to accurately determine how many are infected as testing is not universally available.
True. This is based on known data which we know are incomplete. The actual infection numbers may be dramatically higher. As could the number of potential deaths.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,112,849 times
My daughter is home from CU.

There have been non-reported quarantines at CU, involving both faculty & students; on & off camps & one of the "quarantees" is her math partner. She is the one with asthma.

She will be staying at my step-sons house, because he had an extra room, her twin already rents from him & that way we minimize exposure to her dad (who is 64 & had pneumonia a few months ago) & her developmentally disabled brother.

CU has also cancelled graduation. Students returning next year will get a credit towards their dorms, which won't help my daughter much because she & 4 other marching band kids (she plays for the Buffs) have already signed a lease to rent a house from my cousin Barb who owns a lot of RE up in Boulder & rents to CU kids.

Yesterday when it was nice I took son & dog to Garden of the Gods & got some good exercise & sun & that made me feel better. Today was just gloomy & depressing.

Thank GOD they shut down the gyms before my dad gave me a heart attack.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 PM

19,828 posts, read 9,387,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post

Assuming even a 50% infection rate (currently it's believed it could be as high as 70+%) that's approx 160+ million infections Which at 2% death rate is [3,200,00 deaths.

With quarantine efforts these numbers should fall... but tens of thousands of deaths remains a very scary and real possibility.
To say it AGAIN, there are many, many people walking around with the virus who have no symptoms and (therefore) have not been tested. If the actual numbers of infected people were known, the rate would be lower, not higher. The actual fatality rate is estimated at 0.5%, and that is based on the Diamond Princess. Please read the following, and note that the author, Tina Hesman Saey, is the senior staff writer and reports on molecular biology. She has a Ph.D. in molecular genetics from Washington University in St. Louis and a master’s degree in science journalism from Boston University.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...hip-death-rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado