Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
If she is admitted into a 4 year college, then it's great for her.
Things can change quite quickly though. I was admitted to a private 4 year school but had to decline the offer because I got sick my senior year of high school and had to stay locally and be able to be close to family if needed and close to medical facilities that knew my condition. I later transferred to a local public 4 year school.
For other parents who may have students who are unable to start at a 4 year because of academic of financial or other, a community college may be a good start. There is the opportunity to transfer down the road. There are also parents who have students who may be feeling unprepared for college at any level and really need to experience the working world first before embarking on their college education. Some kids have it figured out quite nicely, some need tough love. Every student is going to have a different situation.
That's all I'm saying....college isn't a "one size fits all" proposition...

For many, it probably shouldn't even BE a consideration...

A large number, should probably consider vocational/trade education/training

For others, starting out in a community college will likely make the most sense for financial or other reasons....

And for many, the "prototypical" pipeline from high school to 4 year college/university is entirely appropriate...

Congratulations to you on following your own path despite your setback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am sure that 35K sounds like a "big" number but the reality is that is really isn't that bad. When I graduated I had $16K in debt--which sounds better but back then, my first job paid $16K--your first job will pay in the $35K range--same percentage of debt. I had ALL of my student loans paid off in under 4 years. It REALLY wasn't that big of a deal. It also gave us a GREAT credit score so buying our first car and our first home was a breeze.

I STRONGLY disagree that community college is the way to go for most better students.
Community college is a way to knock out some of the basic courses such as math, writing, etc when you transfer to a 4-year (if you so choose). You can save at least a semester's worth of pay or more if you pay your cards right, depending on the transferability of your courses. Plus some community college offer good programs. The one in my county offers a good nursing program that allows people to become nurses at the local hospital without having to deal with going to a four-year university nursing school.

Also, not everyone needs or wants to go to college. Some would rather take up a trade and get their certification for it. Some just can't plain afford college and can't get the loans for it.

Well, 35k+ (more like 50k when you add up ALL the loans, the 35k was just from one type of loan) does seem like a lot of debt, especially to someone who's never been in debt of that magnitude before, knowing that the economy is rough now and job availability doesn't look too great. Please, I wish that I only had 16k of debt!! My plan was to pay it all within 5 years. Hopefully, I will land a decent job that will allow me to do this. I know people who weren't able to complete college or find a decent job with their degree who are still struggling with their loan debt years later. My one friend will need to find her dream job in order to pay off her loans...she will be paying her's for the rest of her life. Those are the horror stories that no one anticipates until they are living it.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

For others, starting out in a community college will likely make the most sense for financial or other reasons....

And for many, the "prototypical" pipeline from high school to 4 year college/university is entirely appropriate...

A lot of the "trade school" type education is being conducted in community colleges these days.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
College definitely isn't for everyone. Now days some of the degree fields are plain stupid;IMO and only college money makers.That said there is other training that mnay woud be better off taking.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,594,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"college for all" is a straw man.
tell that to the author of the article.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 AM

"learn to earn" institutions receive 25 percent of federal higher ed funding, yet they account for 48 percent of all defaults. only 10 percent of america's college students go to "learn to earn" institutions, referred to as "for-profit colleges" in the video

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Community college is a way to knock out some of the basic courses such as math, writing, etc when you transfer to a 4-year (if you so choose). You can save at least a semester's worth of pay or more if you pay your cards right, depending on the transferability of your courses. Plus some community college offer good programs. The one in my county offers a good nursing program that allows people to become nurses at the local hospital without having to deal with going to a four-year university nursing school.

Also, not everyone needs or wants to go to college. Some would rather take up a trade and get their certification for it. Some just can't plain afford college and can't get the loans for it.

Well, 35k+ (more like 50k when you add up ALL the loans, the 35k was just from one type of loan) does seem like a lot of debt, especially to someone who's never been in debt of that magnitude before, knowing that the economy is rough now and job availability doesn't look too great. Please, I wish that I only had 16k of debt!! My plan was to pay it all within 5 years. Hopefully, I will land a decent job that will allow me to do this. I know people who weren't able to complete college or find a decent job with their degree who are still struggling with their loan debt years later. My one friend will need to find her dream job in order to pay off her loans...she will be paying her's for the rest of her life. Those are the horror stories that no one anticipates until they are living it.
aw, come on. go here: https://www1.salliemae.com/after_gra.../repayment.htm --- and read up on the new federal refinancing plans. I use one form of it, and used deferment and forbearance on a far sight more that 35,000 in loans. They won't even make you pay a dime for several years, if you sign up for the right plans AFTER the fact and have a really low income, or other scenarios. The new one from the Feds lets you pay a pitifully low sum or possibly nothing per month depending how low your income is. And some of these plans are specifically for the people with high debt amounts.
Also, if you haven't consolidated all your school loans, your deferments all start over again when you consolidate. So if you used up your unemployment deferment or others, you can get them all over again with consolidating all your loans. Extending your deferments out much farther.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 02-28-2011 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

yeah, in other countries, the high school age is when they give them their "fork in the road" choices -vocational or college choices. . They actually train them for serious vocational occupations, not waiting til after graduation when they are turned loose to do whatever, over here. Also train them for life in general in more practical ways. Our high schools aren't really that preparatory for much, except for a precious few, like west linn (oregon) is a very college preparatory school, for one.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 02-28-2011 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 AM

573 posts, read 971,570 times
Having gone through college, there are a few things I've learned

Most of the classes I took were pointless

Many of the teachers should not be teachers (or professors)

The college I went to did not prepare me for actually trying to get a job or how to make myself marketable to employers. Which is funny, since this is what I thought college was supposed to be for.

Considering the expense of even a local school that may not be a top university, it would have been nice if I had been given a direction beyond them asking me what I wanted to do with my life. It would have been nice if someone pointed out to me that I don't necessarily have to love whatever profession I study for, just as long as I can do it better then the next guy. It would have also been nice if there was some sort of information on how much could be made in the local economy for your chosen profession and how to go about breaking into the field.

It would also be very nice if we didn't celebrate the stupid in this country. 'You a college boy?' is not a compliment, it's an insult. It would be very nice if we just accept the fact that college is necessary if you would like to live (or attain) a middle class lifestyle.

Higher education of some sort is going to be necessary for anyone to get a decent job. Call it what you want, college, technical or vocational school. but whatever you call it, it's higher education.

Colleges and other forms of higher learning need to be refocused on getting their students ready to find a job.

Maybe we could have a law passed that if a graduated student does not get a job in his chosen field in a specified period of time, he gets some of his money back.

I'd also really like to know why some of this stuff isn't taught in highschool.

Last edited by stevebri; 02-28-2011 at 12:59 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
yeah, in other countries, the high school age is when they give them their "fork in the road" choices -vocational or college choices. . They actually train them for serious vocational occupations, not waiting til after graduation when they are turned loose to do whatever, over here. Also train them for life in general in more practical ways. Our high schools aren't really that preparatory for much, except for a precious few, like west linn (oregon) is a very college preparatory school, for one.
are you referring to germany? my sister had a german friend and they'd *** about stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities