Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 AM

39 posts, read 390,346 times

Advertisements

My nephew attends an elite private Liberal Arts University out of state for nine months during the traditional school year. This Summer he is at home sleeping till noon and watching TV and playing with the Internet. I told him if he took classes at the local Community College during his Summer tern he could graduate a year earlier.

Is this common? If you attend college out of state do you attend classes at the local community college in your home town during the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
My daughter wanted to do that... the school would not accept CC summer credits towards her degree.

Why do you have an issue with sleeping in and internet use?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,559,574 times
My daughter was able to take two classes over the summer to fill in for classes she couldn't take while doing a study abroad. One was on-line at our local CC and the other was on-line through a regular brick and mortar college - Kansas State? She had to get both approved ahead of time. A friend of hers, OTOH, took classes at a local State University over the summer and they would not accept them. She didn't get them approved before she took them.

Colleges are very picky about accepting other colleges classes. My three kids all attended or are currently attending small private LAC's and they will only accept gen ed classes from another school, and then only a certain very small amount. It would be easy enough to see if there is a clear on-line policy about that, and if not he (not another family member) would have to call or e-mail his adviser and the college registrar to see if what classes would be allowed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
My nephew attends an elite private Liberal Arts University out of state for nine months during the traditional school year. This Summer he is at home sleeping till noon and watching TV and playing with the Internet. I told him if he took classes at the local Community College during his Summer tern he could graduate a year earlier.

Is this common? If you attend college out of state do you attend classes at the local community college in your home town during the summer?
It is common but not quite that simple. It would be possible to take a few community college courses, but there are many limitations. First of all, the classes have to be equivalent to the university's classes and you need prior approval for each class. Here are some other requirements from one university.

No more than 50% of the credits required in your major or minor may be transferred from another school.
No more than 60 credits from a two-year school.
Once you have 60 earned credits you may not take courses at another institution.
Students must complete all of their final 30 credits at the University.
A maximum of 15 non-Arts & Science credits may be counted in the minimum of 120 required for graduation.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Well you have to realize that a college, despite all the high-minded folderol about learning, is a business. You are attending a college in order to learn, of course, but your ultimate objective is to get a scrap of paper that attest that you are learned.

So when you try to achieve that degree by taking some courses at a lower-priced community college, you are essentially taking food off their table. And they don't like that.

Now public colleges are typically better about that, because higher institutions of learning within a state are supposed to be part of a network.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
Quote:

Maybe he would rather enjoy his summers than worry about taking class all year. He is also not going to be able to get the 300 and 400 level classes he needs at a CC.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,976,271 times
Quote:

His school may or may not accept them. Typically once you are attending one school you can't take classes at another and transfer them in especially if the classes are offered at your school and if they aren't offered then they will likely only count as credit and won't count toward his major. I don't see why he can't spend his break however he chooses.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,731,603 times
If it is truly an elite school, then they might not accept community college credits and they always have to be pre-approved. My kid's school would only accept credits as a visiting student from a 4 year school, and it had to be a fairly high level 4 year too.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
His school may or may not accept them. Typically once you are attending one school you can't take classes at another and transfer them in especially if the classes are offered at your school and if they aren't offered then they will likely only count as credit and won't count toward his major. I don't see why he can't spend his break however he chooses.
I was able to take classes at both a community college and another university after I had been admitted at the first school. My experience is you need to find someone who can, and will approve the courses before you take them. This is typically somone with the title VP orf Academic Affairs, Provost or Dean. Everyone else can tell you no.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,959,670 times
I have NEVER had a problem transferring classes. It is extremely easy to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why do you have an issue with sleeping in and internet use?
Yes, he should have a job or be taking classes. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone over the age of 17 to just be sitting around. Come on. Seriously? And we wonder why the youth today is so lazy...

I don't see how there are so many parents on here who are actually saying an ADULT should be allowed to live off of mommy and daddy's wallet and sit around for a summer. What are you teaching your kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities