Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,594,737 times

Advertisements

the-555000-student-loan-burden: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
College has been a huge dump for many years. I wouldn't go unless I was going to be certified in accounting or engineering.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times
I think the problem is that my generation was made to believe that blue collar workers were not as smart and even if they can earn more money, working with your hands is thought to mean not working with your brain. Intellectually, I know that there is skill and intelligence needed in being a plumber but somehow it seems that people that work in offices are smarter. This doesn't make sense, but I think this is how most people feel, and that's a shame.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,557,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Personally, I've ALWAYS been against the "college for all" movement. It's full of delusions and it's probably a brainchild of the student loan industry.
It shouldn't be "college for all" it should be "education for all". Higher education should only cost the amount offered by federal grants. But, people who need money to live, etc. should have access to low interest readily available loans.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I think higher education, hell, the entire education system needs to be changed.
Definitely!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
College is also better for some after a few years out in the real world instead of straight out of high school.
Higher education should be a part-time endeavor with life long education being normal.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Everyone should have the chance to go to college if they are able to handle it.
With online classes and automated testing *everyone* should pursue life long education.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Agreed.

Frankly, I think by age 16, some children should be fazed out of high school and put into trade apprenticeships or similar programs. I don't see why a kid should be forced to take two more basically useless years of high school if they clearly have no interest in college.
There shouldn't even be high school and college. We should have "choice preparation" and "continued education".

Choice preparation should take all children and prepare them to choose what they "want" to pursue in life. Then they should continue their education while working a low-skill position. Then they can move into their desired field when they have completed enough learning to be useful.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
For what? They still can't get jobs.
You sure have made it clear they "can't get jobs".

The problem is "they" put their success in the hands of the college they went to. People should learn to take control of their lives and stop relying on others to control it for them.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The world needs medical professionals, legal professionals, engineers, architects, scientists, teachers, designers and business professionals.

But it also needs janitors, construction workers, electricians, plumbers, truck drivers, farm workers, repairmen, short order cooks, shelf stockers, cashiers and wait staff.
All people should be educated. Even manual labor people should be educated. The reason we have many of our societal problems is uneducated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities