Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 09:22 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,358,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
No bias or anything, right?
Not really, because I know Texas has pretty much sucked during its worst decade of Longhorn history.
Once again the SEC West is overrated. Most everybody outside thinks so.
Yes, Bama is the exception... they are awesomely great.
The other powers... not so much, including LSU.
As for A&M?

Last edited by ScoPro; 12-30-2021 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 12:34 PM

1,992 posts, read 979,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not really, because I know Texas has pretty much sucked during its worst decade of Longhorn history.
Once again the SEC West is overrated. Most everybody outside thinks so.
Yes, Bama is the exception... they are awesomely great.
The other powers... not so much, including LSU.
As for A&M?
Lol. You wouldn't give any credit to A&M no matter how well they do. They would have beaten Texas last year and probably this year too, had they played. Jimbo is a pretty good coach.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:34 PM

7,597 posts, read 6,095,751 times
Quote:
Lol. You wouldn't give any credit to A&M no matter how well they do. They would have beaten Texas last year and probably this year too, had they played. Jimbo is a pretty good coach.
I know, I hate A&M but MAINLY because the Ex-Cat wife and her father both went there. If they had ended up running a pizza joint together I probably would never touch one again, even with pepperoni, just because the two of them were involved.

BUT I digress. Had they both been Obnoxious UT grads I'd probably never wear orange to this day.

The SEC West will come down this year to Old Bammy and A&M. Ole Miss should start to improve with Kiffen at the helm, and no reason that they won't win in a few seasons, LSU is on a slight downswing compared to last year.

It is still the rigged up BAMMY OHIO STATE OKLAHOMA and CLEMSON ad nauseum that is becoming so dull......

BUT nobody likes my idea of having a full 16 team playoff and trim the bowl games down under 55.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:31 AM

^LSU could contend in the West too. I wouldn't count them out. Coach O seems to find magic.

The East should be between Florida and Georgia. There is talk about Mizzou maybe making a run, but maybe they are a year away. Kentucky should be solid too. But can they beat the top teams, that is the question.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
The cumulative record of A&M‘s opponents they defeated last season was 30-50. Very weak sauce to base their strength on. Plus their Sugar Bowl victory was over a seriously depleted UNC, which makes it an *.

They could have beaten Texas each & every year after they ran away from UT, but to think they would have dominated the Horns is just another aggie fantasy. Look at the difference of how both schools played LSU in 2019 for the closest recent comparison (as long as Jimbo wants to brag about “quality” losses).

I think Herman would’ve beaten Jimbo in 2020 in a bowl game, as he always had the Horns prepared. If they just played an opening season game, I’m sure A&M would’ve gone Maryland on Texas....easy peasy.
This year? Who knows how Texas would fare against him with a new coaching staff and a new system.

Yeah, Jimbo can be a good coach, but he hasn’t yet proved he’s “SEC good”.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
The cumulative record of A&M‘s opponents they defeated last season was 30-50. Very weak sauce to base their strength on. Plus their Sugar Bowl victory was over a seriously depleted UNC, which makes it an *.

They could have beaten Texas each & every year after they ran away from UT, but to think they would have dominated the Horns is just another aggie fantasy. Look at the difference of how both schools played LSU in 2019 for the closest recent comparison (as long as Jimbo wants to brag about “quality” losses).

I think Herman would’ve beaten Jimbo in 2020 in a bowl game, as he always had the Horns prepared. If they just played an opening season game, I’m sure A&M would’ve gone Maryland on Texas....easy peasy.
This year? Who knows how Texas would fare against him with a new coaching staff and a new system.

Yeah, Jimbo can be a good coach, but he hasn’t yet proved he’s “SEC good”.
That's a good claim to make, but the SEC played a conference only schedule in 2020. They beat everyone on their schedule except Alabama, who won the National Title. What more can you ask for? You can say UNC was depleted, but they were ranked #13.

Saying Jimbo isn't SEC good isn't accurate. All his losses in 2019 were against Top 10 opponents.

2019: 8-5
2018: 9-4

Jimbo has the Aggies they best they've been since the mid-90s.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:25 PM

7,597 posts, read 6,095,751 times
Quote:
That's a good claim to make, but the SEC played a conference only schedule in 2020. They beat everyone on their schedule except Alabama, who won the National Title. What more can you ask for? You can say UNC was depleted, but they were ranked #13.

Saying Jimbo isn't SEC good isn't accurate. All his losses in 2019 were against Top 10 opponents.

That is a valid Point

When the ex cat wife was going there, A&M started a trend of playing the weakest games possible in order to have a wining record, something which had eluded them.
Jackie Sherril even went so far as to say that 5 or 6 games should be easy wins, 3or4 challenges and 1 that could go either way.

A&M playing second fiddle to the Texas Longhorns was a big part of the move to the SEC, whether anyone wants to acknowledge it now or not. And the Aggies DO NOT want the Longhorns back in with them.

Seriously, it seemed like A&M always finds weak opponents early on to run up a 6-0 record, and some of the fans (not all but some) act so high and mighty because the team beat South Utah Mormon college, The Missouri school for the Blind and the Wellesley school for women.

They are playing better, but I do not see Jimbo beating Sabin, and I do not see him going 1 loss into a bowl in the future either, nor do I see him scheduling teams like Boise State or USC either. This year he scheduled Prairie View, Colorado, New Mexico and Kent State. No Notre Dame, no Clemson, and Positively NO TEXAS ......in other words, no top 20 teams outside of the conference.

On the Other Hand, Texas would love to be in the SEC along with Oklahoma who would clean up in recruiting even more and bring classic rivalries like A&M OKlahoma plus a chance to renew the Southwest Conference Rivalry vs Arkansas that sold a lOT of tickets every year.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:

That’s kinda funny, as most SEC fans downplay Texas’ handling of #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl was a fluke because “they didn’t want to be there”. Plus Texas did it without some key players.
Aggies of 2012 went 11-2 with Jonny Manziel, beat Bama, then whipped a good OU team in their bowl game.
But him bragging about “we played Bama closer than anybody” was embarrassing, as 4 other teams played them better.
It’ll be interesting to see what he can do this year with a new O-line and QB.

Old 07-24-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
That’s kinda funny, as most SEC fans downplay Texas’ handling of #5 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl was a fluke because “they didn’t want to be there”. Plus Texas did it without some key players.
Aggies of 2012 went 11-2 with Jonny Manziel, beat Bama, then whipped a good OU team in their bowl game.
But him bragging about “we played Bama closer than anybody” was embarrassing, as 4 other teams played them better.
It’ll be interesting to see what he can do this year with a new O-line and QB.
Well it's funny because there is no shame losing to the eventual National Champ. Bama won in 2012 also.

Old 07-24-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
That is a valid Point

When the ex cat wife was going there, A&M started a trend of playing the weakest games possible in order to have a wining record, something which had eluded them.
Jackie Sherril even went so far as to say that 5 or 6 games should be easy wins, 3or4 challenges and 1 that could go either way.

A&M playing second fiddle to the Texas Longhorns was a big part of the move to the SEC, whether anyone wants to acknowledge it now or not. And the Aggies DO NOT want the Longhorns back in with them.

Seriously, it seemed like A&M always finds weak opponents early on to run up a 6-0 record, and some of the fans (not all but some) act so high and mighty because the team beat South Utah Mormon college, The Missouri school for the Blind and the Wellesley school for women.

They are playing better, but I do not see Jimbo beating Sabin, and I do not see him going 1 loss into a bowl in the future either, nor do I see him scheduling teams like Boise State or USC either. This year he scheduled Prairie View, Colorado, New Mexico and Kent State. No Notre Dame, no Clemson, and Positively NO TEXAS ......in other words, no top 20 teams outside of the conference.

On the Other Hand, Texas would love to be in the SEC along with Oklahoma who would clean up in recruiting even more and bring classic rivalries like A&M OKlahoma plus a chance to renew the Southwest Conference Rivalry vs Arkansas that sold a lOT of tickets every year.
Jimbo isn't Saban, you're right. And I never said he was. I just said Jimbo is a pretty good coach. Nobody can touch Saban and the success he's attained.

Not standing up for their scheduling, but it looks like 1xP5 opponent and the rest easy street. I guess that is how they schedule. ND is on the schedule in '24 and '25. So there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football