Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 11:58 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times

Advertisements

Not surprising, and there will be more - maybe at all 10 schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 07:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,678,288 times
I like Big 10 commish Kevin Warren buckling down, even though it was the presidents who voted to suspend fall sports, and even though Warren has become the fall guy for criticism!

As for the ACC, well: UNC and Notre Dame (this year they're ACC) students wilding out, on campus, with a few covid positives. Whoops, don't leave out my alma mater, Syracuse, whose informal freshman quad gathering got an angry letter from the vice chancellor; despite the school not dispersing the crowd before it got big. Eight positives, at Cuse, so far. I won't even give my views on opening up, against Liberty.

I bring up those campus incidents to say that they may have an impact on whether not just ACC football, but whether all the ACC schools might shut their whole campuses down, again!

Old 08-25-2020, 10:56 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,288,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Probably not a coincidence. Most of the players are African American, and the South isn't real strong on the whole BLM thing.
And for most of these African American athletes, this is their one shot to get up out of da hood. They've been told since they were a child that they had a gift and skill that not many can replicate and they have a real shot at the next level. We're talking D1 athletes who have been training their whole lives to try to make it to the NFL or at least gather connections in the sports industry. Their family needs help now and they are the shining light to an escape out of a life of poverty.

I'm an African American male so I totally understand. When you come from generational poverty and school just never came very easy for you, you look to other things you are good at. For most African American athletes it is their sports background.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:23 AM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I like Big 10 commish Kevin Warren buckling down, even though it was the presidents who voted to suspend fall sports, and even though Warren has become the fall guy for criticism!

As for the ACC, well: UNC and Notre Dame (this year they're ACC) students wilding out, on campus, with a few covid positives. Whoops, don't leave out my alma mater, Syracuse, whose informal freshman quad gathering got an angry letter from the vice chancellor; despite the school not dispersing the crowd before it got big. Eight positives, at Cuse, so far. I won't even give my views on opening up, against Liberty.

I bring up those campus incidents to say that they may have an impact on whether not just ACC football, but whether all the ACC schools might shut their whole campuses down, again!
500 cases already in the University of Alabama system after 6 days of reopening:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/6-days-re...191137933.html

If the SEC and the others insist on playing football, then we will be able to finally rest the claim that they care about the players. Colleges are quickly sending home non athlete students to protect their health, but want to insist that football players risk theirs, and for what? The TV money.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:13 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Conference games only:

Basketball: Mid January -end March
Football: end March to mid May
Baseball: beginning of May to end of June.

Yah football will be tough to pull off probably with the short break before the schools start summer practices, and you have a risk of a lot of first round & select second round picks sitting out, but I think it's better to push everyone back to the same time frame and give everyone a fair shot. Maybe by January 2021 we are still in the $#!t anyways, but kick the can further down the road. ESPN with the NFL can probably kick the draft back to the end of May.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:54 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,678,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
500 cases already in the University of Alabama system after 6 days of reopening:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/6-days-re...191137933.html

If the SEC and the others insist on playing football, then we will be able to finally rest the claim that they care about the players. Colleges are quickly sending home non athlete students to protect their health, but want to insist that football players risk theirs, and for what? The TV money.
Bama opened back up, and they started partying, off the bat!

Old 08-30-2020, 08:41 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Bama opened back up, and they started partying, off the bat!
And the hits just keep on coming:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...gram-cuts-more

Old 03-27-2021, 07:34 PM

656 posts, read 592,204 times
https://uasystem.edu/covid-19/dashboard

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401240174

https://247sports.com/college/missis...ons-160505330/

Any questions.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Not a surprising point of view from someone living in a state who's flagship university (Colorado) is something like 39 wins vs 77 losses so far this decade. Not finding life much better in the Pac12 than they did the Big12 it seems.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:00 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Come to think of it, A&M hasn’t done any better in the SEC than they did in the Big 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football