Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 11:03 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Looks like a fraction of capacity at every Big 12 stadium, with most falling at or near 1/4. Think TTU, OU, UT, BU, and TCU all plan to be right at 25%, while others haven’t decided or plan to have varying amounts depending on conditions. Some have banned tailgating.
Good luck with this. At the major colleges around my area, a huge amount of the tailgating is not on university property. I would guess this is true at many of these conference schools as well. Unless the city comes up with their own ordinance, this won't fly. Are they going to send campus security to confiscate their tickets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 01:31 AM

18,038 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Big12, Sec, & ACC are the only major conferences with some stones.

Any coincidence that it's primarily the Southern states (OK/Tx in the Big12 SouthXSouthwest) that are aligned on this issue?
Yeah I suppose, but the SEC West is the only real conference in D1 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Not a surprising point of view from someone living in a state who's flagship university (Colorado) is something like 39 wins vs 77 losses so far this decade. Not finding life much better in the Pac12 than they did the Big12 it seems.
CU Buffs? They are lucky to beat the CSU Rams every other year and the little tiny Air Force Falcon Zoomies own the buffs. The Buffs cannot beat that little service team, a team who cannot beat the Wyoming Cowboys.

Next!

The CSU Pueblo Thunderwolves would put the smack down on the buffs.

But oh, the late 80s... memories... how the fade so fast...

Old 08-16-2020, 07:56 PM

509 posts, read 784,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The same area of the country that's dominated by a bunch of science-denying evangelicals (who think football comes right after the holy trinity) is gonna go against the grain and play football? You don't say. Git 'er done!
There are sports being played. MLS. NBA. MLB. European football (ie soccer). What does the data say? Are these big vectors of transmission?

The death rate for young athletes is something like 0.0000001%.

I've played soccer every week since Jan and have been fine. Am I just the exception? Am I lucky?

The avg age of death is close to 80.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,119 times
Quote:
The Big12, Sec, & ACC are the only major conferences with some stones.

Any coincidence that it's primarily the Southern states (OK/Tx in the Big12 SouthXSouthwest) that are aligned on this issue?
The ACC is in a geographical pickle with BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and ND. 4 of those are in states where the other big schools have already thrown in the towel. If anyone thinks Boston College in ultra liberal Mass is playing football all I can say is that's a bold strategy cotton, lets see how it pays off for em.

North Carolina already moved HS ball to 2021. NC and VA both have governors that are not your typical southern governors for better or worse. Virginia canceled hs ball for the fall very early on (late July maybe).

I do think the Big 10 was a little early in their announcement. The SEC is slated to begin games on 9/26. That's still a good month away.

One thing is for sure, the NCAA will not intervene in FBS. They'll pull the plug on everything else but not that one.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
When is the transfer portal going to open up? The northern schools are dumb if they think a football player is going there to learn.
SOME won't have a choice in the matter. The NCAA won't give an exemption on the scholarship limit. Kids are already on campus and have their tuition / room / board paid up for the semester. Unless some coach with 20/20 foresight sand bagged on a scholarship or two it's gonna be difficult to squeeze those transfer in in time for late September.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:49 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
The ACC is in a geographical pickle with BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and ND. 4 of those are in states where the other big schools have already thrown in the towel. If anyone thinks Boston College in ultra liberal Mass is playing football all I can say is that's a bold strategy cotton, lets see how it pays off for em.

North Carolina already moved HS ball to 2021. NC and VA both have governors that are not your typical southern governors for better or worse. Virginia canceled hs ball for the fall very early on (late July maybe).

I do think the Big 10 was a little early in their announcement. The SEC is slated to begin games on 9/26. That's still a good month away.

One thing is for sure, the NCAA will not intervene in FBS. They'll pull the plug on everything else but not that one.
As I said, that’s where the money is... and that’s all that matters to the NCAA.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:25 PM

8,607 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
There are sports being played. MLS. NBA. MLB. European football (ie soccer). What does the data say? Are these big vectors of transmission?

The death rate for young athletes is something like 0.0000001%.

I've played soccer every week since Jan and have been fine. Am I just the exception? Am I lucky?

The avg age of death is close to 80.
NBA and NHL are playing in a controlled bubble. The MLB came thisclose to shuttering their season because the Marlins had an outbreak on their team that spread to other teams (and is still ongoing).

How do you plan to keep the football players on campus from commingling with 10,000-100,000 other students who may or may not be infected and/or practicing good hygiene?

Oh and there's this. A week into the fall semester and UNC has already been forced to switch to online learning because of a COVID-19 outbreak. Gee, if we'd only seen that coming.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/unc-chape...onavirus-cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Not a surprising point of view from someone living in a state who's flagship university (Colorado) is something like 39 wins vs 77 losses so far this decade. Not finding life much better in the Pac12 than they did the Big12 it seems.
I couldn't care less what CU's Pac-12 record is. I love football, but right now there are more important things in life than college football - like life, for starters.

If you wanna bury your head in the sand and pretend this is "no big deal," that's your prerogative, but I personally know someone in his 40s who nearly died from COVID-19, and a good friend's brother lost one leg below the knee and his other foot to blood clots caused by COVID-19. "Just the flu" my ass.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:47 AM

15,865 posts, read 6,565,059 times
Quote:
Probably not a coincidence. Most of the players are African American, and the South isn't real strong on the whole BLM thing.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:44 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,055,954 times
I think it will be catastrophically stupid for them to do this.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 AM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I think bale is correct, but will add that money is a huge motivator here.
Most likely though it is gonna come back to bite them & us in the butt.
Hope not.
Hold that thought:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eturning-break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football