Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
WITN left out a large detail that is in the bill.

"the financing of these projects with funds available to the institutions from gifts, grants, receipts, self-liquidating indebtedness, Medicare reimbursements for education costs, hospital receipts from patient care, or other funds, or any combination of these funds,"

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...DF/H1182v2.pdf
Why am I not surprised the "ENC News Leader" didn't add this part. While it is still positive to get that rubber-stamp, this is NOT like receiving General funds from the legislature for these projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 34,589 times
Does anyone know what the two projects are on Firetower Rd, next to On Line? There is a small building (maybe a restaurant) that is framed and exterior almost finished, and then in front of it a large piece of land is being cleared.

I am not sure exactly which parcel they are on, but I think it could be 82016 and then 55198.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM

247 posts, read 445,650 times
Representative from Online told me a carpet store.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Silt fence and survey stakes have appeared on a lot just south of the new Dollar General store on NC 43 south. It is about 1/2 mile south of Firetower Rd. Is it a house or is it a store? Only time will tell.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 PM

107 posts, read 175,804 times
Construction has begun on the second Walmart Neighborhood Market at Regency Blvd & Memorial Drive. The one at Stantonsburg Rd behind the Trade Wilco is coming along at a fast pace. Does anyone know if this one will have gas pumps. The Neighborhood Market in New Bern has caused gas prices to drop about ten cents per gallon. Hopefully they will do the same in Greenville.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
The Neighborhood Market in New Bern has caused gas prices to drop about ten cents per gallon. Hopefully they will do the same in Greenville.
Gas prices there will soon rebound to their previous level. The Greenville Blvd Walmart has a gas station and it has the same price as everybody else. Even the Sam's Club has a gas station and the price difference isn't enough to inspire me to put a questionable fuel in my vehicles.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:12 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
When Sheetz opened the first store in Greenville the same thing happened. It doesn't last long.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 PM

107 posts, read 175,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Gas prices there will soon rebound to their previous level. The Greenville Blvd Walmart has a gas station and it has the same price as everybody else. Even the Sam's Club has a gas station and the price difference isn't enough to inspire me to put a questionable fuel in my vehicles.
Of course it won't last forever, but gas has been lower for 3 months & is still on going in New Bern. I realize its a temporary grand opening price to lure customers to their Neighborhood Market. And if you don't like Walmart's gas, you can get the lower price at all the other stations in the general area.. About 10 nearby stations in New Bern have lowered their price to Walmart's price. It's currently at $3.37 per gal, and the lowest at 1 station in Greenville is $3.45 with all the rest $3.51 - $3.55. No it won't last, but no one in New Bern is complaining. Although this is I believe Walmart's first gas outlet in New Bern & that might make a difference, since Greenville already has Walmart gas.

Last edited by Cityadvocate; 07-13-2014 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 07-14-2014, 01:22 PM

89 posts, read 130,722 times
Just a quetion for personal curiosity.
Would or would not Gville benefit from extending its city limits to its ETJs? I figure it could since having a city proper of or close to 100k would entice businesses. But, I understand how this could be non beneficial with being totally responsible for these areas. But in terms of population, Gville has a very small city area.
I was just wondering.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:02 PM

A lot of companies, probably most, look at more than just the population data when deciding where to locate. A very good example is Greenville, SC. They only have a city population of about 60,000 but it's treated like a city of 250,000. Another fine example is Annapolis, MD. It only has a population of 36,000 but it has killer shopping and a mall that is the envy of cities ten times it's size, up and down the East Coast.

Retailers look at all kinds of demographics and the area surrounding cities to see if the population can support their store. Greenville's population if you include all of the residents that live within Greenville Zip Codes is in excess of 130,000 and that's not including Winterville.

Greenville doesn't lack for residents. Greenville lacks for residents with MONEY. Greenville's median income is 66% of NC state average of $45k a year. Greenville's average is $30k (2012). It's probably going to be a while before you see a great amount of high end retail come to Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina