Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 04:14 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Ill try not to get too deep in the baseball stuff. The only thing I'll say is I don't know how willing ECU is to host a CPL team.

MiLB did come calling for ECU/Greenville when the Fayetteville team was getting started and needed a place to play for a single season. They couldn't work anything out and had to play in Buies Creek.

Coastal Plains League has come to the city twice in the last 5-6 years wanting to put a team in Greenville. Nothing so far. I'm sure ECU has been approached by the city about Clark Leclair Stadium. There's a reason why Greenville was thinking for a split second about upgrading Guy Smith stadium with that ARPA money.

Greenville having to rely on ECU's timeline and desires for all of these projects isn't ideal. ECUs funding is controlled by the state, which fluctuates year to year. That performing arts center might not come to fruition for another decade. That alumni center/hotel was supposed to be under construction by now and was pushed back and is in limbo. Who knows when/if that will happen??

Obviously work with ECU on the things they can. But Greenville has to step into its own as well. They have to get something down there to keep people in Uptown. A multi use stadium that can host many events throughout the year would be my #1 priority.
I believe the Alumni Hotel was temporarily shelved because of the construction of the Hilton Garden....as you may recall it was supposed to be a Hilton. I honestly didn't like the site next to Sup Dogs. I think the Hotel and Performing Arts Center go hand in hand because of the parking sharing, in other words building a deck.

ECU's focus is on the warehouse developments in the Millennial Campus right now and two hotels are being built downtown. I agree its like 10 years out, but I do believe it will happen after the hotels are completed and the Millennial campus is starting to come to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 08:11 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
https://www.wnct.com/traffic/red-lig...in-greenville/

City council to vote on termination of the red light program this coming Monday evening...

Old 11-07-2022, 10:09 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
I really like the location for the Brody building. Improving density and a new parking deck! https://news.ecu.edu/2022/11/04/investing-in-students/

Old 11-07-2022, 05:39 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
https://www.wnct.com/traffic/red-lig...in-greenville/

City council to vote on termination of the red light program this coming Monday evening...
5-1 vote to terminate.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
5-1 vote to terminate.
Thanks. Did Smiley say why he's in favor of keeping the program? (If you know)

Old 11-07-2022, 08:31 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
I think it was reported that statistics showed that they reduced crashes at those intersections.

Personally, I think red light cams are fine. But they should always be implemented and monitored by city police. There shouldn't be a third party company collecting and keeping whatever portion they deemed fair (which was happening for a while)

Old 11-07-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Thanks. Did Smiley say why he's in favor of keeping the program? (If you know)
He quoted the statistics on crashes at these intersections and the amount of money that has gone to PCS ($6 mil - I had no idea it was that much). He was very much in favor of continuing. I tuned in around 7 and heard his comments but missed what the other councilmembers had to say.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think it was reported that statistics showed that they reduced crashes at those intersections.

Personally, I think red light cams are fine. But they should always be implemented and monitored by city police. There shouldn't be a third party company collecting and keeping whatever portion they deemed fair (which was happening for a while)
I used to frequent the Bells Fork area daily, where two of these cameras are. The wrecks don't really happen in the intersections. They happen just off of the intersections when drivers try to turn left in or out nearby businesses, which is dangerous in a busy area. I used come upon wrecks on the regular in BF until they put up delineation poles to block left turns up near the intersections. Those poles brought down the amount of wrecks, not the threat of a ticket. Smarter planning with those poles. Hopefully the poles will be replaced in the future with proper medians with dedicated turn lanes away from intersections. I think the safety numbers are misleading on the surface.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:18 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
The issue I have with the red light cameras is that they seemed to be being utilized INSTEAD of fixing a dangerous intersection. The Bells Fork one at Firetower is a perfect example. This road and intersection was supposed to be fixed by now.

Its a catch 22...you reduce the crashes and then DOT doesn't fix the problem. DOT needs to get out there and do something. And most of Greenville's issues are not solely in the city, they are on the outlier and bordered by unincorporated...and they are some of the more dangerous and overcrowded roads in ENC.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:55 PM

Someone must have leased the old Mattress Firm at the east corner of Greenville Blvd and Evans. The front facade has been removed and the interior gutted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina