Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
A new convention center in 2020; and a new convention center expansion in 2013? That has to be wrong; it wouldn't be feasible to build a new convention anytime soon.

*Re-time the lights to provide the best traffic signal synchronization possible this needs to be done ASAP. Greenville has to have the most stupid stop lights; I know if your ever at the stop light at the intersection of Red Banks and Greenville at night time your screwed if your on Red Banks. You'll be waiting like its still 5 o'clock traffic which means you'll be at the light for 10 minutes with no traffic.
Yeh, I don't really understand the convention center statement.

I've emailed the Traffic Engineer before about stoplight issues. They're pretty receptive as long as your nice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM

There are currently 12 parking lots downtown owned by the city. This accounts for 521 total spaces, with 120 spaces being leased. That doesn't include on-street public parking.

On-street parking could be constructed on First Street, by converting either one to two lanes of traffic to parking. That could create up to 200 additional spaces. The four lanes of traffic is too large for the amount of traffic it receives. Plus those lanes cut off the flow from the uptown area to the Town Commons. Also, the additional spaces would allow people to utilize the Town Commons even more.

A survey was conducted and overwhelming it was said that a parking deck is needed. A 256-space, four-story structure would cost $3.5 million. It could net over 200k/year.

Four places could be the spot for the deck, but geologic conditions hasn't been determined.
*3rd and Cotanche
*4th and Cotanche
*4th and Pitt
*Dickinson and Pitt/Greene.

It would be the best, I think, to have it at the 4th/Cotanche lot. Ideally, it could use that cut through from Evans Street as an entrance. Plus 4th and Cotanche. Also, it would be great if it is built into the current buildings there, to make that whole block into one structure. Then, hopefully, you could build on top of the current buildings.

If they make the parking deck four stories, there should be a private-partnership to add two to three stories of businesses and apartments on top of the current structures. It would be a great step in the right direction.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Pitt-Greenville Airport is completing a master plan.

Its the first since 1988 (which is sad).

The main runway at the airport is about 6,500 feet and needs to grow to support the kind of traffic the city will work to attract. Need about 7,000 feet of usable runway

Expanded cargo service is not out of the question, but not likely soon

A corporate aircraft doesn't need schools, water or sewer service, but a single Gulf Stream-5 aircraft worth $50 million dollars sitting in a hangar pays the same property taxes as five $100,000 homes.

Got to have an airport that goes places other than Charlotte.

Also, a big part of our economic development push is to have development zones, including north of the river

The master plan development process has begun on some fronts, and will take about a year to complete.

All of this is from The Daily Reflector.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If they make the parking deck four stories, there should be a private-partnership to add two to three stories of businesses and apartments on top of the current structures. It would be a great step in the right direction.
Agreed. they could add condos and offices to the top floors and even a couple of stores on the bottom floor. But I doubt we have the demand for a four level garage three at the most but I was thinking two floors.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
i thought I'd die before I saw a parking deck in uptown here. I hope it happens, cause it's much needed if they want to continue to improve the area.

Still feel strongly about cleaning up the outside appearance of the buildings on 5th street...some of them as so darn ratty & ghetto looking...just encouraging crime down there.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Agreed. they could add condos and offices to the top floors and even a couple of stores on the bottom floor. But I doubt we have the demand for a four level garage three at the most but I was thinking two floors.
If the university got involved I could definitely see the need for a four-story garage.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM

The Pediatric Emergency Department should be ready by April 30th. I looked in on the construction, it look awesome!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 AM

68 posts, read 119,758 times
Do we know when mellow mushroom will open

Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPirate7 View Post
Do we know when mellow mushroom will open
I don't think there is an official date yet. They do have a hiring event on March 14 at The Career Center on 5th St.

You can follow them here: Mellow Mushroom Greenville, NC - Food & Beverage Service, Pizza Restaurant - Greenville, NC | Facebook

Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM

Anyone know whats going on at the Town Commons? A bunch of those brick arches are knocked over with caution tape around them. Are they putting in something new or what? I think it is still too early for the actual Town Commons revitalization. I think there is a bond that will come soon to pay for that and other parks projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina