Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMoveNow View Post
I'm so tired of Greenville.. The place needs to get more tech jobs, get the crime under control, and start preparing highways for future growth. Fix the roads too, that would be nice. I think I'm gonna move to Charleston SC soon enough.
We need more full-time employment opportunities period.
The crime is not really any worse than most places, including Charleston.
Highways are both currently being constructed and planned.
The local roads are in terrible condition, you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 05:36 PM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
Had a chance to go into the Greenville Museum of Art this weekend. I was very pleasantly surprised. The outside looks pretty homely and rundown but the exhibits and the add-on buildings in the bad were impressive for the area. If you haven't checked it out don't judge it by the outside. Take a few minutes and walk in. It's not phenomenal but it was enjoyable and does have some nice pieces. "free" with a $5 recommended donation. There are even some silent auction pieces upstairs.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM

107 posts, read 175,719 times
Rezoning requested for approximately 85 acres on Charles Blvd next to Grace Church. Change from farmland to residential with a small portion for office. All of this property has recently been surveyed and the smaller section between the house and Grace Church has a for sale sign on it. Also a request has been made to the Planning and Zoning Commission by LCD Acquisitions,LLC to construct 16 two-bedroom units, 40 three-bedroom units and 130 four-bedroom units, totaling 178 units on 26.0 acres of property using the land use intensity Dormitory standards. The property is located east of Charles Blvd, north of Grace Church and south of Tucker Estates Subdivision. What's going on beside Dollar General and over to old County Home Road at Bells Fork. It almost looks like they are making a huge parking lot. For what?

Last edited by Cityadvocate; 03-15-2017 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
We need more full-time employment opportunities period.
The crime is not really any worse than most places, including Charleston.
Highways are both currently being constructed and planned.
The local roads are in terrible condition, you're right.
The local roads are horrible in Charleston too. I recently visited again and they make Greenville's roads look good if you can believe it.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
The local roads are horrible in Charleston too. I recently visited again and they make Greenville's roads look good if you can believe it.
It's been awhile since I've been to Charleston. I don't remember the road conditions, just the thick traffic. SC is known for its poor road conditions, a result of lower/fewer taxes. Greenville's (NC) streets are pretty atrocious right now though. I recall Mayor Thomas stating that our streets are in danger of being in such a state of disrepair that we may have to skip simple re-paving on certain roads and be forced to the more expensive grading down the asphalt before re-paving.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
What's going on beside Dollar General and over to old County Home Road at Bells Fork. It almost looks like they are making a huge parking lot. For what?
Good question. There's a lot of activity all along 43 South from Greenville. The State was surveying the Ivy Road/43 South intersection. I stopped and asked the guys what was going on. They said Intersection Improvements. Most likely a traffic light.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Two new potential housing complexes on the council's agenda.

Two new potential housing complexes sparking debate in Greenville

Quote:
Two more possible housing complexes could be built in Greenville in the near future. Both are set to be discussed at Monday’s Greenville City Council meeting.

During the meeting, the council will hear re-zoning requests that would enable the housing developments to be built.

The more controversial of the two would allow for a high density complex along Evans St. off of Clifton St.

The proposal has been met with a lot of criticism. People who live in the quiet community of Cypress Creek right behind the proposed site said adding a high-rise apartment building there would be a nightmare.

“If there are a lot of apartments built in front of us it’s going to really complicate our ability to get in and out of our housing units.” said Mollye Otis.

Otis said the complex would fall near the already busy intersection of Evans St. and Arlington Blvd. Due to it’s close proximity to the existing traffic light at that intersection, another light wouldn’t be able to be placed where the housing project is being proposed.

“I would put my house on the market immediately because it no longer will follow the vision my husband and I had,” said Dagmar Herrmann-Estes, who also lives in Cypress Creek.

But those in favor of re-zoning the land said its central location makes it a perfect fit as Greenville continues to grow.

“It’s right on a bus line, it’s right on a greenway. We have a major corridor there,” said Councilman Rick Smiley. “You can walk to schools, you can walk to entertainment, you can walk to the university.”

Councilman Smiley was one of two council members to vote for the re-zoning request in April 2016. He said it is more costly to build outwards than it is to build upwards when you factor in additional roads and expansion of public transportation.

As Greenville grows, Smiley warns traffic could get worse if housing isn’t developed with walking and public transportation in mind.

“Traffic is going to happen, unless you allow people to live where they can walk,” he said.

The other re-zoning request is for 84.533 acres along Charles Blvd. near Firetower Rd. The request would enable both high and medium density housing to be built.

Share this:

Old 03-16-2017, 07:01 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
I have mixed feeling about the Clifton Street apartments.

Is it a good location...Yes
Is traffic already horrible at this area? Yes
Will people in this location 'walk' to locations as they state? Doubtful, except on the greenway or kids walking to Rose High maybe.
They would really need to improve the traffic flow somehow to get in and out of that area if they plan on allowing that complex.

The Charles Blvd. / Firetower location...Not exactly certain where they are proposing unless it's behind the Wal Mart grocery store...which I guess I'd be ok with...but I kind of see that area as a commercial area.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
The Charles Blvd. / Firetower location...Not exactly certain where they are proposing unless it's behind the Wal Mart grocery store...which I guess I'd be ok with...but I kind of see that area as a commercial area.
Drive north on Charles just past the Firetower Rd intersection. Look to the right. See those cornfields....

You may be confusing Arlington for Charles.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I have mixed feeling about the Clifton Street apartments.

Is it a good location...Yes
Is traffic already horrible at this area? Yes
Will people in this location 'walk' to locations as they state? Doubtful, except on the greenway or kids walking to Rose High maybe.
They would really need to improve the traffic flow somehow to get in and out of that area if they plan on allowing that complex.

I am more inclined to agree with the Clifton apartments vs the charles blvd 85 acres. I agree with your concerns, but I would lean to "you have to start somewhere." Regarding the Charles blvd, I was just talking to my wife about that area and how we couldn't believe it had not been developed yet.... I worry about more rental property in Greenville though. Surely they have done their homework and know that there is demand enough for something like this, but I feel like the city is already at or near saturation with rental property. I could certainly be wrong though.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina