Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

A 10 year timeline into Greenville's future

2012 -
Trails at Eastside Park
new economic development office

2013 -
Ball fields at Eastside Park
Fire station on Fire Tower Road
Greenway west to the hospital, and supply funding for greenway east to Portertown Road.
Parks bond
Go Science center construction

2014-2016
10th St Connector
Planning starting for the Performing Arts Center
Intermodal Transportation Center construction begins in 2014
State Theater built
Park bond to expand and refurnish parks in the city, including Town Commons

2017-2018
Light Rail to Greenville
Biotech/Biomed Research Park
Southwest Bypass construction
Greenway opens to Portertown Road

2019-2020
New Convention Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Light rail to Greenville??? In 5-6 years? I can't see light rail being economically feasible anytime soon. I'd expect Amtrak service before light rail, and I don't really see Amtrak anytime soon either.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

77 posts, read 150,737 times
Light rail around town or to someplace else? (Not that I think that there is any chance at all that it will happen...)

Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM

More 2012-13 Goals:

*Re-time the lights to provide the best traffic signal synchronization possible
*Begin design of the next phase of the Convention Center Expansion
*Complete the site selection process for the Intermodal Transportation Center
*Identify City public areas in West Greenville to install video surveillance cameras

Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Light rail to Greenville??? In 5-6 years? I can't see light rail being economically feasible anytime soon. I'd expect Amtrak service before light rail, and I don't really see Amtrak anytime soon either.
It says light rail, but I think it means Amtrak. They've had that plan for a while.

If the hospital was right beside the railroad, I could see a light rail running between main campus and health science, but that isn't the case.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
looking forward to the Eastside Park - really need a kids spray park & play area. If Kinston of all places has one, we should have one as well.

Also hoping the GoScience Center will not be as ghetto as I think it's going to be. Hoping for the best cause it should be really attended with all the schools in the area.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
A new convention center in 2020; and a new convention center expansion in 2013? That has to be wrong; it wouldn't be feasible to build a new convention anytime soon.

*Re-time the lights to provide the best traffic signal synchronization possible this needs to be done ASAP. Greenville has to have the most stupid stop lights; I know if your ever at the stop light at the intersection of Red Banks and Greenville at night time your screwed if your on Red Banks. You'll be waiting like its still 5 o'clock traffic which means you'll be at the light for 10 minutes with no traffic.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM

107 posts, read 175,614 times
I'd like to see Highway 264 being brought up to interstate designation on that list of things to come. It wouldn't change anything for the average person, but industries might look more favorably on the Greenville area for locating here with an interstate. As far as light rail or Amtrak coming here, there'e not a big enough population base here to support it. They can't even get direct airline service to anywhere other than Charlotte. Although, I could see improved airline service coming here before any type of rail service. Even that will require the economy getting a lot better than it presently is.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 AM

228 posts, read 600,874 times
Default too bad downtown is not really an uptown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvllepirate View Post
when is the quarry supposed to open? im really curious about this and I think it could be addition to downtown greenville if it is indeed and upscale restaurant/bar
...hope the Quarry is on a higher level than the usual downtown...but, our downtown is still so seedy looking it has a long way to go before it feels like an uptown...and it is still too dangerous at night downtown to feel free and comfortable...downtown is moving in the right direction...but, still a long, long way to go...and, until Greenville fixes the crime problem, we are putting bandaids on amputations...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
As far as light rail or Amtrak coming here, there'e not a big enough population base here to support it.
There is ZERO reason to put any sort of rail into Greenville. Before it happens you will see the existing transportation maxed out. You'll see the main runway at Greenville extended (in the works) so that larger jets may make a regular route here. You'll see Park and Rides built with the intention of carpooling to work in Greenville. You'll see US 264 upgraded to an Interstate and multiple lanes added to handle the traffic. You'll see more than a couple of Trailways buses making the trip to Greenville every day.

Greenville has made great progress over the last 75 years. And it may seem to someone that has lived here their whole life that Greenville has gotten large with difficult traffic. But the truth is that Greenville has a whole lot more growing to do before it gets big city amenities.

On a good side, Greenville has the nicest, easily, airport terminal east of Raleigh. It is probably also the largest. Air Force and Marine Corp airports don't count. The public can't use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina