Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 PM

107 posts, read 175,614 times

Advertisements

Has the Starlight Cafe shut down. I noticed it was closed Saturday with a home football game. It was closed today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Bubba's Grill will be closed until early January for renovations and possibly a new concept (hopefully just an expanded menu).

Old 09-29-2015, 05:31 AM

14 posts, read 20,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
Has the Starlight Cafe shut down. I noticed it was closed Saturday with a home football game. It was closed today.

They are not closed.....They are not open on Monday's and the Dinner Hours are 5:30-9 Tuesday -Thursday and 5:30 to 10 Friday and Saturday.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Bubba's Grill will be closed until early January for renovations and possibly a new concept (hopefully just an expanded menu).
That's not a good sign. I don't think I've ever seen an independent restaurant make it through a "temporary" closure like that.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
More from the DR about the craft beer store opening...

Quote:
Greenville’s first craft beer store is set to open with several events planned at the end of this week.

Tapped 650 Crafts & Drafts, founded by Basil’s Restaurant owners Jeremy and Jennifer Spengeman, is a retail location which specializes in domestic craft beer for on- and off-premises consumption.

Tapped is located in the Firetower Crossings shopping center at 650 E. Fire Tower Road in the former Lemongrass Thai restaurant location, near Firetower Animal Clinic.

While paint still was drying and finishing touches were being applied Monday, the Spengemans already were planning three events for the store and beginning to stock a considerable selection of beers and non-alcoholic drinks on handmade shelves made of metal piping and reclaimed barn wood.

Girls Pint Out, a national nonprofit organization linking women who love craft beer, will partner with Tapped for an event highlighting Greenville’s growing beer culture and its community of women. The event, scheduled for Friday, is intended to raise awareness for Gardeners of Hope, an organization that supports local breast cancer patients.

Tapped also plans to hold a family and friends invitation-only soft opening event Friday before holding a soft opening for the public on Saturday. For updates on when the store will be open to the public Saturday, owners said to check Tapped’s Facebook and Twitter pages.

“This is going to be a real family friendly atmosphere,” Spengeman said. “We want people to come here and shop and even bring their kids. And we’ll have something for everyone.”

Spengeman said with Tapped’s huge selection of drinks, he will have something to appeal to everyone — from non-alcoholic drinks including varieties of soda to ciders and gluten-free craft beers.

Tapped is the first of several businesses planned to open in Greenville with a focus on beer, especially craft or microbrews.

Also planned for Greenville are: Trollingwood Taproom & Brewery, a nanobrewery on Dickinson Avenue planned to open this year founded by East Carolina University alumni; Dickinson Avenue Public House, a sister restaurant and bar to Christy’s Euro Pub being completed on Dickinson Avenue and planned to open this year; Nauti Dog Brewing Co., a startup brewery founded by locals still searching for a location in the city; and a beer store planned for the City Market building on Jarvis Street, which will be owned and operated by Tandi Mahn, owner of Christy’s.

It has been a big year for beer in Greenville. Earlier this year, the Greenville City Council approved craft beer stores as an allowed use in specific commercial areas of the city, with a special use permit.

Microbreweries also were made an allowed use in specific areas of the city, which had not been allowed before. Even Ham’s Restaurant and Brew House, a chain restaurant formerly on Evans Street, was classified as a public-private club, not a brewery, under city code.

Previously, only wine shops — which could sell craft beer — were allowed in commercial zoning districts of the city. Some required special use permits. Now beer-only stores will be allowed in the same areas. At least 60 percent of sales have to be consumed off site.

The same hours that govern wine shops apply to the craft beer shops. Jeremy Spengeman emphasized previously that the shop he planned to open would not be a bar, and that it would not produce cheaper beer brands, opting instead for pricier beers mainly intended for consumption off site.

Tapped intends to be Greenville’s “premiere retailer” of domestic craft beer on draft and in growlers, bottles, cans, bombers and more, Spengeman said.

The store will feature 20 rotating taps behind a large custom-made bar, which can be enjoyed by the pint, in a flight of tiny mason jars or at home in 32-ounce or 64-ounce growlers.

While visiting, customers will be able to browse more than 250 bottles of beer for off-premises consumption individually or in a build-your-own six pack.

Tapped intends to provide a comfortable place for customers to meet with friends, catch up on work or relax and enjoy artisanal North Carolina meats, cheeses and other snacks while sampling from the beer selection, Spengeman said.

The store also features a large private room for special events, business meetings or catered and non-catered events. Large televisions and wireless Internet also will be available in the private space, along with a private entrance and restrooms. The room is intended for events such as wedding showers, business meetings or birthday celebrations.

For more information on Tapped, email jennifer@itsbasils.com or find the store on Twitter @Tapped650.

Contact Abbie Bennett at abennett@reflector.com or 252-329-9579. Follow her on Twitter @AbbieRBennett.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:40 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
^ Good to see something is going in the renovated stores on Jarvis...a beer store will probably do pretty decent there.

Quote:
That's not a good sign. I don't think I've ever seen an independent restaurant make it through a "temporary" closure like that.
They own a couple of other restaurants around town, I'd imagine they'll open back up, I wouldn't be overly concerned. A renovation will be nice, it's a small space & not much to the restaurant - just good food.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
A.J. McMurphy's went through two renovations, a re-branding, an un-re-branding, and a few ownership changes and is still in business. Is it as good as it originally was, however? Not in my opinion.

Bubba's changed ownership almost a year ago. It's now owned by the same people who own TieBreakers and the new (not yet open) casual restaurant by Honey Baked Ham on Red Banks. I'd like to see Bubba's survive, but an expanded menu would be nice. Moving to a more visible location might help as well.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:53 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
The visible location part would be good. I honestly didn't know the place existed until it started being talked about here.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:07 PM

247 posts, read 445,123 times
Do anyone know what is going on with the vacant Dunkin Donuts building on Memorial. My children and I noticed the door open today and two work vans.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:58 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The visible location part would be good. I honestly didn't know the place existed until it started being talked about here.
You know, I'm sure I caught them on bad days, but I haven't been impressed in my 3 visits. The food was good but all three times they were out of items on the menu - common items. Every time the service has been slow and once, a friend eating with us found a piece of paper still on the cheese slice on her burger.

I'm still going to give them another shot but they're running out of lives in my book. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina