Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times

Advertisements

Also from that link:

ATHLETIC COMPLEX

The adjustment board also is scheduled to consider a proposal by John Paul II Catholic High School to build a large athletic complex in a 26-acre field next to the school on East 14th Street Extension currently used for faming purposes.
A special-use permit would allow the school to proceed with plans to build a 354-seat gymnasium, a football field and track complex with seating for 400, a 150-seat baseball field, 100-seat softball field and a soccer field, according to the plan
The complex also would include a large parking lot, the plan indicates. The the facility would be accessible from Quail Ridge Road, not 14th Street.
The property is located in the 2800 block East 14th Street between Quail Ridge and Planter’s Walk subdivisions, north of Fire Tower Road. The site would be developed in conjunction with the high school, which purchased and renovated a church building next to the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:10 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Neighborhood leader: 'ECU pulled rug from under us' - Daily Reflector

Greenville commission to ECU: Let's talk about chancellor's house - Daily Reflector

Old 01-25-2018, 06:55 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
City council agenda for the big planning session on 1/26 & 27.

http://greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=15992

Here's the strategic planning document they've been going off of for the last 2 years.

http://greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=16000

Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Traffic Alert: Portion of Greenville's 14th St. closing for repaving

Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Given the proximity to campus, it's a good place to locate new student housing. Stereotypical millennial that I am, I want to live close to downtown but separate from college students. That said, this is only a good idea if older student housing units come off the market. If units in = units out, the market won't get more saturated.

Also, isn't that neighborhood historic?
Old is not necessarily historic. In reality the neighborhood is a relic, and the better use of the space is for off campus housing that is high density. Not just this block, but from 14th to the businesses on 10th, from Charles to Evans. With the shopping Center across 14th, new stuff likely coming to Evans, it seems like a next step in the process with that neighborhood. The Province and now The Proximity will be the start of mixed use, pedestrian friendly higher density surroundings of ECU.

And in regards to the Chancellors house....if ECU is using the houses they bought and the old Chancellors house for office space that would be a good thing. I would envision moving the Alumni Center there and surrounding it with small offices, which would be good for the neighborhood because it keeps the Historic houses and just changes the uses, which again is a good thing. Don't worry about building a new alumni center and just focus on the hotel. ECU could have done a better job with its vision, but not moving houses in a Historic District is a better thing that moving them.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
And in regards to the Chancellors house....if ECU is using the houses they bought and the old Chancellors house for office space that would be a good thing. I would envision moving the Alumni Center there and surrounding it with small offices, which would be good for the neighborhood because it keeps the Historic houses and just changes the uses, which again is a good thing. Don't worry about building a new alumni center and just focus on the hotel. ECU could have done a better job with its vision, but not moving houses in a Historic District is a better thing that moving them.
Have you heard that the university is exploring using the Dial House as an alumni center or is that speculation? I think that would be a best case scenario for the school and save them some face. However, if that is indeed the case, what has become of the supposed or proposed alumni center and hotel Uptown?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Have you heard that the university is exploring using the Dial House as an alumni center or is that speculation? I think that would be a best case scenario for the school and save them some face. However, if that is indeed the case, what has become of the supposed or proposed alumni center and hotel Uptown?
I have not heard, but it just makes sense because the old Alumni house was too small...this one is much bigger and ECU already owns it.

No reason the hotel cant just be an Alumni Hotel and have some additional amenities. Honestly the house next to the hotel site is perfect for that as well, but I agree they can save face. And the old Alumni Center can be used by ECU as well.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Quote:
Old is not necessarily historic. In reality the neighborhood is a relic, and the better use of the space is for off campus housing that is high density. Not just this block, but from 14th to the businesses on 10th, from Charles to Evans. With the shopping Center across 14th, new stuff likely coming to Evans, it seems like a next step in the process with that neighborhood. The Province and now The Proximity will be the start of mixed use, pedestrian friendly higher density surroundings of ECU.
I agree - that neighborhood is honestly a dump. Drove through there today...there are very few houses that looked cared for & not like they are on the verge of collapse. It's is mostly all college students renting these houses and the property owners are just collecting a check at this point. The best thing for that area would be to convert it to new housing IMO and student housing makes sense in that area since that's what is there already. The proposed apartments sound similar to what is across the street as there was no mention of a parking deck.

Quote:
And in regards to the Chancellors house....if ECU is using the houses they bought and the old Chancellors house for office space that would be a good thing. I would envision moving the Alumni Center there and surrounding it with small offices, which would be good for the neighborhood because it keeps the Historic houses and just changes the uses, which again is a good thing. Don't worry about building a new alumni center and just focus on the hotel.
I would disagree and say ECU needs to stick with the Hotel / Alumni Center proposal...find another use for the Chancellors House. Parking would be my number one issue with the House being an alumni center, where are people going to park for events there?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:52 PM

217 posts, read 236,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

Right, somewhere I thought I had seen that the neighborhood had been designated. I've biked through there on several occasions and agree that it's a dive.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post

I would disagree and say ECU needs to stick with the Hotel / Alumni Center proposal...find another use for the Chancellors House. Parking would be my number one issue with the House being an alumni center, where are people going to park for events there?
People can park at the new deck by the Library.

The house would also make a fantastic B&B especially with its history. I would think the neighborhood would support that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina