Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 06:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

Advertisements

Ugly nor not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
The red on its own isn't bad, and the green on its own isn't bad, and the yellow vinyl on its own isn't bad - it's just the way it adds up. I was a design student back in the day, forgive my snobbishness coming out.

Likewise, I too LOVE how Gather Uptown turned out. I was worried about the blue when it first went up, but it comes across great in the end product. The wider sidewalks are a boon as well--now we just need some additional attractions in that area to draw foot traffic. It's all coming together so nicely.
I think there are lots of additional attractions, with more to come. The Dickinson Ave corridor has had a bunch of businesses open, the Theater is under construction a block away, and I expect the commercial areas of both the Boundary and the Dickinson Lofts will fill once these two complexes fill up. Adding 800 residents to the downtown in one month is a big change. Greene Hall will be vacant this year, but when it opens in the fall of 2019 and the Proximity opens as well, there will be another swell of the population in the general area of downtown.

Has anyone else heard anything about the schedule for the DeWitt Development at the corner of 14th/Charles?...my assumption would be that they may tear down this summer and start construction but take two years (like the Proximity) to allow for the market to absorb the new developments. If they are up and running in 2020 that would add another 800 within a few blocks walking distance to downtown.

In a three year period you could see an influx of almost 3,000 people from 14th St to 5th St from what it is today.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Ugly nor not?

I actually think its a nice transition between the Public Safety building and the smaller buildings in the Dickinson corridor. Its funny but the Gather building's Art Deco inspiration really fits for the 5th St corridor, but the Lofts really fits with the Dickinson corridor, and they are only a block from each other.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:33 AM

38 posts, read 41,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Ugly nor not?

My objections were in line with bikepedguy's comments about the multi color siding. Maybe not ugly, but not to my taste. It is remarkable to see GTAC, University Edge and Gather Uptown taking shape/nearing completion..wonderful additions. Just hope University Edge pulls through on the Market Rate promise for the Dickinson Lofts building. Would be nice to see housing developments downtown market towards non-students.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
The GTAC is the hideous building down there. I'm glad you can barely see the thing because of University Edge/Dickinson Lofts. It is not going to age well at all.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Residents eye bypass zoning plans - Daily Reflector

Old 06-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshSchaef View Post
My objections were in line with bikepedguy's comments about the multi color siding. Maybe not ugly, but not to my taste. It is remarkable to see GTAC, University Edge and Gather Uptown taking shape/nearing completion..wonderful additions. Just hope University Edge pulls through on the Market Rate promise for the Dickinson Lofts building. Would be nice to see housing developments downtown market towards non-students.
It doesn't get talked about, because its probably not what people technically "want", but Nathaniel Village is a newer nice complex of 48 units directly adjacent to the GTAC that are "non-students".

http://lpmcliving.com/nathaniel-village/

As well , adjacent to Nathaniel Village is the new Theta Chi house. which in my opinion adds to the area as well.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Greenville is what it is. What I would like to see is continued rehabbing of historic properties in the Dickinson Ave corridor into apartments/lofts. Until there is more government or corporate offices downtown, there wont be a demand for larger market rate housing. Hotels are the next buildings that can really add to the landscape. But they need help from the public sector. The City invested into the Hilton brand on Greenville Blvd in the early 90's instead of downtown.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Is "market rate" supposed to be cheaper than student apartments? The student apartments all seem ridiculously high. If so, what keeps a student from renting that for cheaper instead of a student apartment?

Old 06-26-2018, 03:59 PM

217 posts, read 236,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think there are lots of additional attractions, with more to come. The Dickinson Ave corridor has had a bunch of businesses open, the Theater is under construction a block away, and I expect the commercial areas of both the Boundary and the Dickinson Lofts will fill once these two complexes fill up. Adding 800 residents to the downtown in one month is a big change. Greene Hall will be vacant this year, but when it opens in the fall of 2019 and the Proximity opens as well, there will be another swell of the population in the general area of downtown.

Has anyone else heard anything about the schedule for the DeWitt Development at the corner of 14th/Charles?...my assumption would be that they may tear down this summer and start construction but take two years (like the Proximity) to allow for the market to absorb the new developments. If they are up and running in 2020 that would add another 800 within a few blocks walking distance to downtown.

In a three year period you could see an influx of almost 3,000 people from 14th St to 5th St from what it is today.
Oh agreed that there's an amazing amount going on. I just suspect that foot traffic in that block will be limited to students moving in and out, where it could be an anchor in and of itself had there been a bit more foresight on the developers' part. It's the right angle between Pitt Street Brewing and Winslow's. Seeing development in and around the Gather apartment complex would serve to increase foot traffic in the area. Big security benefits and quality of life benefits around that.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:31 AM

UNCC is working on a Hotel/Conference Center....

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...center-on.html

ECU has in its Master Plan to build a Conference Center/Hotel on First and Reade across from the Town Common. It also has a Performing Arts Center slated where the current Willis Building sits. I know they have a lot going on, but to see these other schools moving forward on their projects, makes it seem like ECU is playing catch up in regards to these public/private type ventures. Would be nice to see some plans for the entire Reade St corridor and timelines. Greenville and Pitt County should certainly help for projects such as those that could bring in groups and also help further downtown expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina