Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 AM

112 posts, read 136,219 times

Advertisements

This is a story out of Wilmington, but it would be awesome to see something like this happen in Greenville.

Concert Venue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Back to business, folks.

Here's an interesting avenue for new development, plus the Imperial site cleanup update:

City of Greenville looks to develop "business ready" buildings
Excellent! Shell buildings was one of the recommendations the consulting firm gave the city after its survey several years ago. Would love to see Uptown spread!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
This is a story out of Wilmington, but it would be awesome to see something like this happen in Greenville.

Concert Venue
That is pretty awesome! Looks like it'll be part of the Pier 33 development in Wilmington, which looks really amazing!

Pier 33 - JDavis Architects

I'd love to see something like that lining 1st street in front of the Town common!

Small amphitheater would be a great addition to Greenville.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:22 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Bubba's Burgers is re-opening today...with a name change to: The Angus Grill

from facebook:
Quote:
We are beyond excited to announce that we will be reopening today at 11am under a different name, the Angus grill. We understand everyone's concerns for the change and everyone's love for Big Bubbas Burgers and Bubbas Grill, but trust me we are striving to take this restaurant to the next level and serve you the best food we can possibly make with the best service you will receive in town for many years to come. Thank each of you for all your support and we look forward to serving each of you soon!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to say the Angus Grill name will probably pull in more new people to try it than 'Bubba's Burgers ever would. Just my opinion.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
McLean Godley gives a Winter Council Update: Winter Council Update

a few of the highlights:

Quote:
Today I recieved exciting news from our Chief of Police Mark Holtzman that 40 new LED light fixtures were recently installed off of E. 5th Street between Reade and Maple Street! Just as exciting are plans to install 31 more LED lights on 10th Street between Greenville Boulevard and Copper Beech Townhomes. Studies have consistently found a direct correlation between how well-lit an area is and that area's crime rate. When we improve our lighting in our community, we force criminals to think twice before committing acts of violence. Installing more LED light fixtures in our neighborhoods are critical to making our community a safer place to live, work, and prosper.
Quote:
Enhancing our city's wow factor was one of the top priorities that was addressed in the past month by the council. At this year's Council Retreat, I proposed the idea of a Tar River Legacy Plan bond proposal that would finally unleash the power and the potential of our Tar River. This proposal would include building a signature bridge connecting Town Common to River Park North and a sportsplex that would enable Greenville to host youth sporting events on a regular basis which in-turn would expand our sales tax base from the bottom up as visitors would spend money in our community on hotel rooms, gas, food, and retail shopping. The proposal also included Town Common improvements, and lastly implementing other Tar River Legacy Plan ammenities, including but not limited to river overlooks and ziplines.
I have to say - I agree with pretty much everything this guy is trying to do.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
That is pretty awesome! Looks like it'll be part of the Pier 33 development in Wilmington, which looks really amazing!

Pier 33 - JDavis Architects

I'd love to see something like that lining 1st street in front of the Town common!

Small amphitheater would be a great addition to Greenville.
In the discussion regarding the re-development of Greenville's Town Common...it should be noted that the City of Wilmington gave incentives for PPD to locate its corporate HQ's in downtown Wilmington (building in background) It should also be noted that the City built a Riverfront Convention Center next door to this lot and the City built a Riverwalk through this lot. Finally, the City purchased a lot on the other side and is making a riverfront park out of it. And as part of Pier 33 a Hotel Indigo will be built.

Just putting that out there for those that think you can get developments like this WITHOUT public investment.

Greenville has the land and must look at doing the things listed in Tar River Legacy plan to get waterfront developments. It decided long ago to invest in its Convention Center on Greenville Blvd. instead of downtown. What significant incentives are being given to locate an office building in downtown Greenville (like on the Bank of America site)? What major pedestrian improvements are being built to get people to the Town Common?

It takes planning AND action to make it a reality...not just decades of talk.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
I never understood why the convention center was put on the Blvd. I feel like much of this sailed on with that ship when they built it there.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 PM

181 posts, read 240,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I never understood why the convention center was put on the Blvd. I feel like much of this sailed on with that ship when they built it there.
If it's not the biggest mistake Greenville's ever made, it's the second biggest.

That could've spurred so much growth. There would already be 3 hotels, offices, more shopping, and more restaurants downtown.

What they're working for right now could've happened in 2005.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
If it's not the biggest mistake Greenville's ever made, it's the second biggest.

That could've spurred so much growth. There would already be 3 hotels, offices, more shopping, and more restaurants downtown.

Agree. Thing is Wilmington's current convention center downtown is only a few years old. I'm not sure if they had an official convention center somewhere else, but it's not like the convention center there has been there for 20+ years. Wilmington was smart in putting it there since they have gone through a huge revitalization of that area of downtown.

I would love to see some sort of meeting/convention/civic space in uptown Greenville. Even something small like the Coastline Convention Center in Wilmington (Wilmington Conventions, Weddings, Meetings | 800-617-7732) would be pretty cool. I dream of a small multipurpose building built uptown about the size of a high school gym with premium retractable seating that could accommodate small concerts, small-medium conventions, and basketball /volleyball games & tournaments. The city has spent so much on the current convention center, I'm not sure if they would want to drop any of it to build something new uptown. Even for smaller events that would not be cost effective to host at the current spot.

I will say that the convention center in Greenville is used quite a bit. Most weekends I've been past there, the parking lot is pretty full with some sort of event.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:33 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post

I think it was collusion with the Hilton ownership. Maybe that's too strong of a word and they were looking to partner to a degree. And the design of the CC was abysmally boring. At least the facade has been updated but I agree - should have considered an uptown location instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina