Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2021, 04:36 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times

Advertisements

How is it that a town half the size of Greenville, Kannapolis, confined a 50 million dollar nearly 5,000 seat stadium for their downtown in Greenville can't do something similar? I realize this money is earmarked by the federal government in certain ways so maybe that money can't go towards a ballpark uptown, but I think this is an opportunity to continue to push the city center forward and drive development. The city needs to have an eye towards the future with all its decisions. It should be prudent in planning ahead that a summer league may eventually be get a minor league team. I think they have to be thoughtful as well about the effects on attendance for the summer league team for a ballpark that is uptown versus elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 06:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
I think that there would need to be an upward trend in MiLB attendance figures before Greenville should even think of spending that kind of money on a baseball park. Not long ago MLB cut 40 MiLB teams in an attempt to increase attendance figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
How is it that a town half the size of Greenville, Kannapolis, confined a 50 million dollar nearly 5,000 seat stadium for their downtown in Greenville can't do something similar?

Old 10-16-2021, 11:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Kannapolis is a bedroom community to Charlotte. That’s not a like comparison at all.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:40 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Kannapolis is a bedroom community to Charlotte. That’s not a like comparison at all.
High Point is a good comparison...

Old 10-16-2021, 11:52 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think that there would need to be an upward trend in MiLB attendance figures before Greenville should even think of spending that kind of money on a baseball park. Not long ago MLB cut 40 MiLB teams in an attempt to increase attendance figures.
MLB doesn't care about minor league attendance. They claim to be focused on providing quality facilities that provide maximum development for their players. Grainger Stadium, and a few others, got a pass on quality because the team that plays in that stadium is owned by one of their own members (Texas Rangers). Attendance is a concern for individual owners of the minor league teams. The MLB teams that own their minor league clubs do not need the income from minor league teams, nor do they care about it. They're looking for control and and long-term homes for their teams, so they don't have to shop around every few years for a partnership. So, in reality, attendance is largely a concern for the towns that own the stadiums when it comes MLB-controlled MiLB teams. The onus is now on city leaders to entice people to attend games and events at these stadiums so the city can get return on their investment.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:28 AM

275 posts, read 330,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
High Point is a good comparison...
High Point Also has Greensboro and Winston Salem next to it. Still not a good comparison.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:32 AM

26 posts, read 25,444 times
We're still at 46% fossil fuels. https://www.guc.com/about-us/clean-future/energy-mix

This is a pretty big disaster. I can't believe that nobody in the Reflector article mentioned the climate consequences of this development, which is creating literally nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post

Old 10-18-2021, 11:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
It is pretty useless. All it does is waste energy and make money for GUC and Duke, who both already have plenty of money.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagi View Post
16% of that is coal. 31% is natural gas which is considered a clean power. I don't see where the disaster lies in this proposal.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:55 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I admittedly do not know much about municipal funding but being a bedroom community to Charlotte doesn't change the fact that they are a small town with a smaller tax base does it? They might pull more advertising dollars from companies not located in their city limits, but as far as finances at their disposal I can't imagine they have more resources than Greenville. I would love to know more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina