Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 06:14 AM

455 posts, read 527,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I work downtown and was interested in the townhomes. There needs to be housing downtown that is not old and ratty and full of college students. The grid and adjacent neighborhoods are not for everyone.
The Imperial development is supposed to be market rate apartments correct? Not student focused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 08:27 AM

120 posts, read 229,059 times
I think that I really like this outdoor Taco Shop use for that corner. In my option, it's a better use of the land for the community/ downtown as a whole than townhomes that only serve a few families (last I heard, the townhome idea was somewhat scrapped a long time ago as they didn't expect a reasonable ROI- I just don't think our market is quite there yet- you can still buy nice homes for 250k on the fringe of downtown that sit on 10,000sf lots or bigger).

This type of design isn't just a restaurant, it's a placemaking type of business and a great addition to the feel of downtown Greenville. These character making/quality of life businesses downtown are huge. It reminds me of "The Friendly Spot" in San Antonio that has somewhat of the same cool/gritty vibe that is going on in that area of Greenville. It also reminds me of the Southern Rail in Carrboro which is something that I think fits the Downtown Greenville feel too. I love what's going on in this area of Greenville- I do wish they never tried to go with the 'Uptown' name though, it just seems so pretentious and is 100% not who Greenville is. Greenville's charm is it's gritty, underdog pride.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:36 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,596,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
The Imperial development is supposed to be market rate apartments correct? Not student focused?
I don’t know. Even if it is, it’s still just apartments.
Dickinson Lofts was also supposed to have market rate apartments but if they do they are hiding those very well.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:52 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
Interesting stuff... Potential Summer baseball team incoming??

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...62ab9bcb8.html

Quote:
Greenville officials are recommending the city use more than 90 percent of its federal pandemic relief dollars to invest heavily in recreation facilities, including a major renovation to Guy Smith Stadium and ramping up improvements to the Town Common.

An expansion at Guy Smith of up to $10 million aims to bring summer league baseball to town, while another $10 million would build a new amphitheater and other amenities at Town Common and connect the park with new pedestrian and bike trails to parks north of the river.
Not a huge fan of redoing Guy Smith. That kind of goes against the focus on Uptown that the city has been going with the last decade.

Seems like you'd take that money and try to get started on a stadium closer to uptown or create a larger complex to draw in youth sports tournaments.

Last edited by michealbond; 09-13-2021 at 07:04 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 07:21 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,581 times
I'm all for using some of those funds for the town common improvements...especially the new amphitheater. I'm love to see that master plan jump started. I could really improve the entertainment options in uptown.

I'm indifferent to the stadium renovation. I don't enjoy watching baseball so I don't personally care either way. My only issue if Guy Smith Stadium is not in a desirable section of town. If you're going to have visitors coming to watch a game seems you'd like to have them somewhere near businesses that could prosper from the people. With that said, it could be a good start to getting a minor league team here. I think Greenville could support a team, as much as people here love some baseball.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:54 AM

The town commons improvements are a must.
I'm all for that.

I am in agreement with your take on the stadium. Guy smith is in a pretty undesirable location. It may be only a temporary location, but there's nothing else to keep people around before or after the game. I fear it'll turn into a Grainger stadium situation.

I wholeheartedly believe Greenville will support a team. Problem is they'll spend 10 million on renovations and the team would be so popular that the need for an expanded stadium would arise and you'll have to spend 20 million on another new stadium a few years later.

If they can't find land near uptown, I'd rather them try to build a basic stadium north of the river at Wildwood park than a revamped guy smith in a less desirable part of town. Then when the need for a new stadium arises, the "old" stadium can be turned into another event space and/or be used for youth sports tournaments.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:57 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Thermo Fisher to expand again...add 290 more jobs (on top of the 500 already announced)...

https://www.encalliance.com/news-pos...lgbWoQICo2v7lD

Old 09-15-2021, 11:26 AM

I spoke with a local real estate agent about the taco spot on the corner of Reade and Dickinson. As I thought and stated earlier this is a very "light" structure consisting of concrete pads and modified shipping containers. The townhomes are still on the docket but given the price point and the market pressures from COVID they're on hold.

With regards to the baseball stadium I do not think Guy Smith is the way to go at all. If you want the team to do well and "splash" you need a stadium closer to Uptown and I would not invest 10 million in a temporary stadium I don't think.

I have though that an "entertainment" project/bond that addresses are variety of voids in the city would be worthwhile. Something like a baseball stadium, events arena, history/science museum, and an Uptown aquatic/recreation center/super splash pad (https://www.playlargo.com/facilities...plex/index.php). Get ECU on board to foot some of the bill for the events area (basketball teams) and the aquatics center (swimming). Partner with the YMCA or other private entity on the aquatic/rec center possibly?

Old 09-16-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I spoke with a local real estate agent about the taco spot on the corner of Reade and Dickinson. As I thought and stated earlier this is a very "light" structure consisting of concrete pads and modified shipping containers. The townhomes are still on the docket but given the price point and the market pressures from COVID they're on hold.

With regards to the baseball stadium I do not think Guy Smith is the way to go at all. If you want the team to do well and "splash" you need a stadium closer to Uptown and I would not invest 10 million in a temporary stadium I don't think.

I have though that an "entertainment" project/bond that addresses are variety of voids in the city would be worthwhile. Something like a baseball stadium, events arena, history/science museum, and an Uptown aquatic/recreation center/super splash pad (https://www.playlargo.com/facilities...plex/index.php). Get ECU on board to foot some of the bill for the events area (basketball teams) and the aquatics center (swimming). Partner with the YMCA or other private entity on the aquatic/rec center possibly?
That makes complete sense on the townhouse lot. Better to get something set up there as a temporary situation. Interesting thing will be if and when this taco place catches on, will they be forced to move from that lot once the market is friendlier to building those townhomes.

Theres about an 8 block section between the Millennial campus and 14th Street that would be perfect for a stadium and surrounding development. If I had my way, thats where uptown would "start" if you're coming down Evans street. The Millennial/intersect east campus is going to be a huge change for uptown. A 3-5,000 seat multipurpose stadium would tie in nicely next to that development.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
That makes complete sense on the townhouse lot. Better to get something set up there as a temporary situation. Interesting thing will be if and when this taco place catches on, will they be forced to move from that lot once the market is friendlier to building those townhomes.

Theres about an 8 block section between the Millennial campus and 14th Street that would be perfect for a stadium and surrounding development. If I had my way, thats where uptown would "start" if you're coming down Evans street. The Millennial/intersect east campus is going to be a huge change for uptown. A 3-5,000 seat multipurpose stadium would tie in nicely next to that development.
Not to mentioned that if Capital Broadcasting is involved and wants a team in Greenville they have resources galore. They can contribute towards a new stadium too potentially. Ting Stadium in Holly Springs that is home to the salamanders (same summer league Greenville would be in) was 19 million in 2019 and holds 1800 fans. Do something similar but 2000-3000 with room for future expansion and call it 30 million. Capital Broadcasting can go at least a third on it will out blinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina