Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM

814 posts, read 1,152,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
New York has done it with some of its bad neighborhoods, without building expensive new roads.
Just curious, to what neighborhoods are you referring to specifically here, and what did New York do to improve things? Many "bad neighborhoods" in New York have begun to "turn around" largely by virtue of people with means being priced out of everywhere that was conventionally thought to be desirable, but I am guessing that's not what you're talking about.

Quote:
Imagine if that money was invested in Larchmere, Buckeye, North Collinwood; places that have the potential, but not the resources. Those places could instantly become attractive places for people to live, locate businesses, and spend money, benefitting the city much more than a road connecting UC to the southwest suburbs.
I do think you're overstating how much public money needs to be pumped into places like those for them to become successful. There are projects that can certainly help - public transit comes to mind - but other than that, these types of neighborhoods tend to take off through a much more organic process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,139,039 times
More great news for the Near West Side!
Developer Andrew Brickman plans 200-plus apartments, townhouses at Ohio City's edge | cleveland.com

Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,296,829 times
Quote:
Whoa.

If this project happens and the TOD proposal at Lorain and W.25 A new RTA plan for Transit-Oriented Development tries for an Uptown-style encore in Ohio City | cleveland.com...this could be the HOTTEST place to live in Cleveland. Next to the Westside Market, across from Downtown, on the redline connecting to the airport and University Circle...literary the middle of it all!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 PM

This is exciting news. Cleveland is going to be a global port city.
Port of Cleveland seals deal to bring container shipping to the Great Lakes | cleveland.com

Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 AM

237 posts, read 250,220 times
^ That is awesome news Cleverfield!

I have to admit the Convention Center Hotel has grown on me quite a bit. I can't wait for them to tear down that high school..ahem, I mean old county administration building, and see this great addition to our skyline.

The latest renderings for the new Cleveland convention hotel win praise at a public forum - along with suggestions for improvement | cleveland.com

Public input is helping to shape the design of the new Cleveland convention center hotel | cleveland.com

Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,032,620 times
^ Hate to tell you...but all those renditions of your Cleveland Convention Center Hotel would look really NICE in Cincinnati! But, alas...you guys got there first! What a beautiful, eye-catching addition this hotel will be to Cleveland's CBD!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,306 times
Hello everyone-- University Circle resident and CWRU graduate student here. I've been checking this thread for a few months and decided to make an account to help respond (a month later) to usernametaken's question about CWRU's enrollment statistics. What I think is far more impressive and indicative of potential growth is the application numbers for the past few years.

Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with posting links and recommendations until you have at least 10 posts

Quick summary-- when I applied in 2009 for undergrad, there were 7,998 applicants and a 70% acceptance rate. This past year there were 18,418 applicants and a 42% acceptance rate.

There have been some modifications to the housing policies lately to accomodate larger class sizes, but if they can catch up to themselves then enrollment figures will better reflect the growing interest in the university.

Until then, the quality of students will still improve!

Also, here's something that got me really excited:
Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with posting links and recommendations until you have at least 10 posts

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,296,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpt View Post
Hello everyone-- University Circle resident and CWRU graduate student here. I've been checking this thread for a few months and decided to make an account to help respond (a month later) to usernametaken's question about CWRU's enrollment statistics. What I think is far more impressive and indicative of potential growth is the application numbers for the past few years.

Quick summary-- when I applied in 2009 for undergrad, there were 7,998 applicants and a 70% acceptance rate. This past year there were 18,418 applicants and a 42% acceptance rate.

There have been some modifications to the housing policies lately to accomodate larger class sizes, but if they can catch up to themselves then enrollment figures will better reflect the growing interest in the university.

Until then, the quality of students will still improve!

Also, here's something that got me really excited: Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with posting links and recommendations until you have at least 10 posts
The Euc as a Happy Dog is going to add another feather in UC's cap. Glad they're keeping the famous sign in place.

Both US news and College Prowler are still using 2012's numbers. Case Western Reserve University | Best College | US News

This will be a nice little boost for the 2013 college rankings hopefully. President Snyder has done wonders for fundraising and reputation.

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,490,814 times
Happy Dog becoming Melt? I'm waiting for the expansion to Mentor and Columbus shortly. Not sure I like the move. Keep the Euc the Euc!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Happy Dog becoming Melt? I'm waiting for the expansion to Mentor and Columbus shortly. Not sure I like the move. Keep the Euc the Euc!
But it wasn't the Euc, it was empty. I know a lot of Case students who would go over to the west side for Happy Dog lectures, concerts, etc. Having it on Case campus will be awesome for students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland