Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If anyone thinks the DC area is northern, I invite them to leave the comforts of Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, Columbia Heights, Bethesda and Arlington, and venture east of North Capitol Street. Just continue on Florida Avenue until it meets H Street and Benning Road at 14th Street and let me know if you still think it's northern. Continue down Benning Road until you reach Minnesota Avenue. Make a left on Minnesota Avenue and then a quick right onto Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue. In a matter of minutes, you will go from what looks like a European city around Dupont Circle to what appears to be a residential section of Orangeburg, South Carolina. If you take Pennsylvania Avenue out of the city towards Forestville and Upper Marlboro, you will see how southern the DC area is.

With all of the transients, DC has certainly changed, but I don't think it's northern. Nothing really feels southern about Peachtree Street in Atlanta, either. Deep down inside, I think liberals loathe the idea of being associated with anything southern. I would not be surprised if many people are calling the Research Triangle "northern" these days.
I lived in this area before moving away three months ago (stayed off Benning and 17th by the laundromat) and I lived and stayed with family throughout the South growing up. This area in DC is anywhere close to being Southern. Now I don't know if it's Northern. But it's not Southern either. Now PG County along Southern Ave and points east, you may have a point. That's how it looks. Not very dense and not urban. But the people still act a bit different than say South Carolina.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I lived in this area before moving away three months ago (stayed off Benning and 17th by the laundromat) and I lived and stayed with family throughout the South growing up. This area in DC is anywhere close to being Southern. Now I don't know if it's Northern. But it's not Southern either. Now PG County along Southern Ave and points east, you may have a point. That's how it looks. Not very dense and not urban. But the people still act a bit different than say South Carolina.
Yep, that's the laundromat right at the corner of Benning and 17th...right at the bottom of the hill and across the street from Hechinger Mall. Once you come off Florida Avenue and hit the corner of H Street where the Ohio Restaurant is, the southernfication of DC begins in earnest. It's really not complete until you pass the Pepco plant on Benning near RFK Stadium, though. That's when DC gets "kuntry."

Wards 7 and 8 remind me of parts of Spartanburg, SC and Winston-Salem. It feels nothing like Philly or the outer reaches of Queens.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
I consider the widespread flying of the Confederate flag to be the #1 indication that you're in the south.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Actually part of it was Wikipedia lol, and as for the origins of the song, it was copyrighted and published by Daniel Emmet of Ohio, and that's fact. Anyway forget the song cause I see you were actually talking about the term Dixie and not the song, so that was confusion on my part.

But you're arguing it's Southern cause of those Southern type residents. Why do Southern type residents make it Southern but Northern type residents don't make it Northern? Just cause they're transplants? Who cares, they live there now. As much as you can argue it's Southern, someone can argue it's Northern. At best we could all compromise and agree that it's the transition zone with strong leanings towards both regions in different areas and criteria.
I don't think it's necessarily southern. It's just definitely not northern. In a similar thread, I asked posters whether the city of Atlanta could be considered northern as well, but everyone balked at that idea. I don't see why it couldn't since Atlanta probably has as many NY/NJ/Boston/Philly transplants as Washington, DC. Atlanta has witnessed a far more dramatic transformation over the past 40 years than Washington, DC.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily southern. It's just definitely not northern. In a similar thread, I asked posters whether the city of Atlanta could be considered northern as well, but everyone balked at that idea. I don't see why it couldn't since Atlanta probably has as many NY/NJ/Boston/Philly transplants as Washington, DC. Atlanta has witnessed a far more dramatic transformation over the past 40 years than Washington, DC.
So are you saying that Atlanta is more Northern in attitude and mannerisms than Washington, DC because of the amount of transplants?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that Atlanta is more Northern in attitude and mannerisms than Washington, DC?
No, I'm saying that you could make the case for Atlanta being a northern city because it has essentially been overrun by Yankees. In fact, the last mayor was from my hometown of Philadelphia. If the argument is that DC has transformed because a bunch of northerners have moved there, then I don't see why Atlanta hasn't transformed into a northern city, too.

Overall, though, Atlanta and DC both have much more in common than Washingtonians want to admit. The overwhelming majority of DC area residents live in suburbs that are virtually indistiguishable in appearance from the Atlanta suburbs. I mean, do the cookie cutter developments in Bowie or Centreville really look much difrerent from those in unincorporated Fulton County? For the most part, they don't feel very different either.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-26-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, I'm saying that you could make the case for Atlanta being a northern city because it has essentially been overrun by Yankees. In fact, the last mayor was from my hometown of Philadelphia. If the argument is that DC has transformed because a bunch of northerners have moved there, then I don't see why Atlanta hasn't transformed into a northern city, too.

Overall, though, Atlanta and DC both have much more in common than Washingtonians want to admit. The overwhelming majority of DC area residents live in suburbs that are virtually indistiguishable in appearance from the Atlanta suburbs. I mean, do the cookie cutter developments in Bowie or Centreville really look much difrerent from those in unincorporated Fulton County? For the most part, they don't feel very different either.
Well yeah I've made that comparison many times on this board how Atlanta and Washington suburbs remind me of each other. However, Atlanta proper and DC proper have little to nothing in common with each other. That's me though.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Well yeah I've made that comparison many times on this board how Atlanta and Washington suburbs remind me of each other. However, Atlanta proper and DC proper have little to nothing in common with each other. That's me though.
What suburbs in America don't remind you of each other? lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I consider the widespread flying of the Confederate flag to be the #1 indication that you're in the south.
Don't hang out in Northern Connecticut lol. There's tons of transplants and people with family and roots in the South and people who just identify with the culture all over the Northeast. All my years living and growing up in Jersey and New England, seeing people flying the Stars and Bars isn't really all that uncommon, maybe not super widespread, but definitely not uncommon.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
More than you think.

Both cities are majority black.

Both cities have a large black middle class.

Both cities have a large, white and liberal affluent class. Virtually zero working class whites.

Both cities have smatterings of other racial minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City